Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Problem is, Linux is not GNU. A Linux distribution may contain elements from the GNU project, but then it'd be better to use the name GNU/Ubuntu or GNU/Fedora.

Android is most definitely Linux, and most definitely not GNU. Debian is almost wholly GNU (except, of course, for the Linux kernel, which is most definitely not GNU). A Fedora distribution will be somewhere in the middle, and any given Arch implementation could be near 100% GNU or near 0% GNU.

Ultimately, just saying a distribution is GNU/Linux is misleading, because you really don't know how much GNU is in there. (Whereas Linux either is or is not in there for certain.)
Thanks for your very informative response. Just one thing. The statement that Android is not GNU/Linux may not be correct. If you have an Android device open a terminal and type the following command which provides system information (if it doesn't work you need to have busybox installed)

uname -a

Mine says GNU\Linux. So while Android is GNU/Linux it is of the stripped down variety...
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Mine says GNU\Linux.
Interesting! Mine only says "Linux". This is Android 6.0 on an HTC One M8...

EDIT: Ah, I see from the info in your uname that you are running the Emotion kernel, not Android per-se. So yeah, your distribution is not Google's distribution.
Attached Images

Last edited by Copernicus; 2016-04-22 at 19:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Problem is, Linux is not GNU. A Linux distribution may contain elements from the GNU project, but then it'd be better to use the name GNU/Ubuntu or GNU/Fedora.

Android is most definitely Linux, and most definitely not GNU. Debian is almost wholly GNU (except, of course, for the Linux kernel, which is most definitely not GNU). A Fedora distribution will be somewhere in the middle, and any given Arch implementation could be near 100% GNU or near 0% GNU.

Ultimately, just saying a distribution is GNU/Linux is misleading, because you really don't know how much GNU is in there. (Whereas Linux either is or is not in there for certain.)
With windows bringing bash into win10 (http://techcrunch.com/2016/03/30/be-...to-windows-10/) there are ideas like:
Actually its GNU/Windows desktop Its basically GNU userland running on NT kernel instead of Linux
and
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Windows, is in fact, GNU/Windows, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Windows. Windows is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Windows, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Windows, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Windows is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Windows is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Windows added, or GNU/Windows. All the so-called Windows distributions are really distributions of GNU/Windows!
source: https://www.reddit.com/r/programming...ows_10/d1jer37

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
That is very interesting. I do not have an Android device - or, rather, I do, about a 5 years old Samsung, but it stays permanently in the car as a dashcam - so I had to borrow my daughter's tablet. It had no terminal so I had to install one. Here is the result:

Code:
u0_a123@A5500-F:/ $ uname -a
/system/bin/sh: uname: not found
127|u0_a123@A5500-F:/ $

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That is very interesting. I do not have an Android device - or, rather, I do, about a 5 years old Samsung, but it stays permanently in the car as a dashcam - so I had to borrow my daughter's tablet. It had no terminal so I had to install one. Here is the result:

Code:
u0_a123@A5500-F:/ $ uname -a
/system/bin/sh: uname: not found
127|u0_a123@A5500-F:/ $
You need to install busybox or the command uname -a will not work!

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Interesting! Mine only says "Linux". This is Android 6.0 on an HTC One M8...

EDIT: Ah, I see from the info in your uname that you are running the Emotion kernel, not Android per-se. So yeah, your distribution is not Google's distribution.
I think you just typed uname but left out the -a option. Is that correct?

EDIT: The Emotion kernel is a modded android kernel (so you can over clock, set selinux permissive, mess with voltages, do double tap to wake and stuff like that if you are so inclined...

Last edited by mscion; 2016-04-22 at 20:23.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
I think you just typed uname but left out the -a option. Is that correct?
Ah, you can see in my screenshot that I did indeed add the "-a". Moreover, you can see in your screenshot that your kernel includes the string "Emotion-TW" in its version info, which is definitely associated with the Emotion Kernel project, not with Google.

EDIT:
EDIT: The Emotion kernel is a modded android kernel (so you can over clock, set selinux permissive, mess with voltages, do double tap to wake and stuff like that if you are so inclined...
Yup, it's not Google's Android. Probably contains a bunch of GNU stuff. Here's the info from their XDA thread:

Introducing the Emotion Revolution Roms & Kernels for Android Devices.
Emotion Rom/Kernel is a modified, aftermarket firmware/Kernel distribution few Android devices (Note 2, Note 4, HTC M7, Newman N2). Based on the Android Open Source Project , Emotion Rom & Kernel is intended to increase performance and stability over Android-based Devices released by sellers, for example, Samsung, HTC and so forth. Emotroid additionally offers a mixed bag of features & improvements that are not presently found in stock variants of Android.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Ah, you can see in my screenshot that I did indeed add the "-a". Moreover, you can see in your screenshot that your kernel includes the string "Emotion-TW" in its version info, which is definitely associated with the Emotion Kernel project, not with Google.
Very interesting! I did not take a close look and thought it was my own previous screen shot! So then the pure google kernel is GNUless!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:

EDIT:

Yup, it's not Google's Android. Probably contains a bunch of GNU stuff. Here's the info from their XDA thread:
If you don't mind. What happens if you type the command uname -o

EDIT: If memory serves me right, I had once tried the same on a kernel with very little modification and it still said GNU/Linux. I had actually modded and compiled the kernel from source. It was Samsung Note Edge kernel.

Last edited by mscion; 2016-04-22 at 20:44.

Tags
nokia n900, successor