Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
Silly anecdote 1, As a child I didn't recognize Zucchini at the grocers as they were harvested at the more common small size, whereas my mom would allow them to mature to the size of your forearm in the home garden!

Anecdote 2, It was a year before I realized that I could make the 'courgette' recipes in a British cookbook I'd been using
To confuse you further, you could also try some marrow

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Ok, and here we go...

This topic suit quite well for me, cause i'm "ex" farmer and know something about that... from 80's, not any more

Now a'days i only have very, very, very little forest (not Gump) and that also needs harvesting cause we have to take care of our nature and keep new plants growing as much as possible...

So, this first picture is one shot my skill's, how to cut down trees... "Like a glove " - N9, little cropping, and scaled by Gimp.

Name:  harvest.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  73.9 KB

Second picture does NOT participate but just showing my fine and highly qualified tools to harwesting forest...

Name:  19080007.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  71.7 KB

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Not my harvest but my entry this time
All farmers around me cut their crops this week and left those nice towers of Strohballen out to dry. No idea what they are called in english. Deeple and Google failed but it translates to straw bales.

The problem with those is they "somehow" start to burn rather quickly. No idea if it's the farmers themselves looking for the insurance money or just juvenile "jokes".
But the one i took a photo of was the last remaining today after most of them burned down all night over.

Taken with XA2 and pulled all the registers in Darktable.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Not my harvest but my entry this time
All farmers around me cut their crops this week and left those nice towers of Strohballen out to dry. No idea what they are called in english. Deeple and Google failed but it translates to straw bales.

The problem with those is they "somehow" start to burn rather quickly. No idea if it's the farmers themselves looking for the insurance money or just juvenile "jokes".
But the one i took a photo of was the last remaining today after most of them burned down all night over.

Taken with XA2 and pulled all the registers in Darktable.

https://mosushi.de/misc/photocomp/20...compressed.jpg
Hay bales, would be the usual English term.

Tedious and possibly inaccurate explanation follows . . .

"Hay" and "straw" are often used interchangeably, but if you're buying a bale the difference is important. Straw is lightweight dry plant matter, stems mostly, with little nutritive value. It can be used for animal bedding, providing a mulch on scatter-seeded lawns, stuffing scarecrows in movies . . . Hay, on the other hand, has a higher water and nutrition content and is fed to livestock. If you see a footstool sized bale of straw or hay and you can lift it over your head, it's straw. If you can barely lift it because you're not the hulk (or not a farmer), it's hay.

Oh BTW, just the heat from the metabolism of composting bacteria can be enough to start a fire. So no mischief is actually required . . . but of course I don't know the ne'er-do-wellishness of your local ne'er-do-wells.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
or to further simplify things.........
hay is grass and straw is from cereal/grain plants

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Once you start thinking of a contest theme, you start seeing it everywhere . . . sort of. Or maybe it's just me. Anyway . . .

Not my entry, but some amusing stuff I've come across so far:

A Harvester, or Harvestman (or daddy longlegs, or granddaddy longlegs). This one hitched a ride on my shoulder.

Also not an entry. Although a photo with another picture within it could be art, this is just a snapshot of a painting I found at the frozen custard shop. (It's for sale if you like it.) Titled: "128 People & You"

The title refers to these signs, which can be found along Kansas highways.

https://flic.kr/p/7X8nTS

This is an older version of the sign, the latest value on new signs is 150 people + you. Of course this is some inadvertent lying with statistics. Sure, there are about 2.2 million farms in the US, and something like 325 million people, so on average there's about 150 farms per person. But in reality, there aren't many mean-size farms, just a bunch of huge farms and lots of little ones that may really be rich folks' big yards.

Real contest entry coming Soon.

Last edited by robthebold; 2019-08-10 at 23:03. Reason: html is hard, let's go shopping

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,703 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
N900 was resting for the summer cause the camera died so I used an iPhone 4. Now I changed back to N900 and the camera works again! Lets see if it works long enough for me to take a harvest picture.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
N900 was resting for the summer cause the camera died so I used an iPhone 4. Now I changed back to N900 and the camera works again! Lets see if it works long enough for me to take a harvest picture.
Very nice to read that! N900 is quite old, so sometimes have to give some rest for one... Waiting we are...

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
"Autumn Berries", SFOS/XperiaX with slight cropping, levels & usm in gimp

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Wow, you can almost hear those berries calling, "juice me!"

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera phone, competition