Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
If the conference call is about a "silent recall" (where owners have the option to exchange for a replacement phone, no questions asked) then Apple probably hope that it will be less expensive than an official product recall since most owners that don't have problems won't bother going in for the exchange. However if I owned an original "mk I" iPhone 4 - even without problems - I would still exchange it for a mk II (ie. fixed model).

Why? Think about it, when it comes to selling an iPhone 4 on the second hand market the original mk I models are going to be much harder to shift and command a much lower price than the problem-free mk II models - any mk I buyer will be taking a risk of getting a device that drops calls in their particular network location, or has a flaky proximity sensor, even though the seller may never have had a problem.

If enough people realise this, Apple could and should take a beating on this "silent recall".

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'm confused-- who said either was?

The point was given a choice, which evil I'd rather settle for. Thought that was clear from the conversation...
I don't get it still.. if neither provides any additional benefits over the other... what's the point of picking at all? It doesn't matter.. they are the same.

Both methods are completely useless, provide no value, and ruin trust. I suppose the silent option is more reliable: You can count on them to tell you nothing. On the flip side.. you can pretty much almost always count on the other side telling you lies... so again, no gain.

I don't see why, given the choice, you would pick either? May as well flip a coin or let the chips fall or ignore the choice altogether as there is no right answer between just those two options. The only right answer there is simply "No."
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
So what's the prediction?

Mine is...

Jobs will show up, he'll talk about the success of iPhone 4 launch and give some great marketing numbers...

...then he'll mention the many 'unnecessary knee jerk reaction from blogosphere which spread to the media' of the antenna issues... then he'll pull up some sort of scientific measurements of how this sort of problem is prevalent in just about all cellular transmitter design (with varying degree) and that the iphone4's occurrence is still (measurably) within a certain tolerance...

...but they still strive to make their product the best/completely satisfy their customers, so they'll offer options (pick one)...

- free bumper? (this may be appealing to those with minor issue)
- replacement to new revision (with some conditions... for those with real problems)
- $25 itunes voucher (to quell the masses which doesn't have any problems with their iphone 4)

then as he walks off the stage, he'd pause for a second and turn...
"Oh one more thing... We have worked with Adobe to bring Flash 10.1 to iOS platform. It will be in the next update!"

And the crowd goes wild...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

then as he walks off the stage, he'd pause for a second and turn...
"Oh one more thing... We have worked with Adobe to bring Flash 10.1 to iOS platform. It will be in the next update!"

And the crowd goes wild...

lol thats exactly what i thought

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Northeast USA
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
Any phone with an OMAP3 has an eFuse chip, just no one activates them. The original Droid has it also, and it was never activated. No reason to think Moto would do it now...
Ok, thanks for pointing that out. The story has since been updated, the Droid X won't *brick* the phone, but the e-fuse will reboot the phone until approved firmware is loaded.

Sauce: http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/m...sy-says-efuse/

If there's one thing that Nokia has done right, it's been to reach out to the modding community.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Found Apple's decision matrix...

I heard they will throw the dart 15 minutes before the event..
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Zibeb View Post
but the e-fuse will reboot the phone until approved firmware is loaded.
No - duff or improperly signed custom firmware will reboot the phone, nothing to do with e-fuse technology whatsoever.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I don't get it still.. if neither provides any additional benefits over the other... what's the point of picking at all? It doesn't matter.. they are the same.

Both methods are completely useless, provide no value, and ruin trust. I suppose the silent option is more reliable: You can count on them to tell you nothing. On the flip side.. you can pretty much almost always count on the other side telling you lies... so again, no gain.

I don't see why, given the choice, you would pick either? May as well flip a coin or let the chips fall or ignore the choice altogether as there is no right answer between just those two options. The only right answer there is simply "No."
I am completely perplexed at that response fatalsaint.

I am not saying I would voluntarily prefer either.

The point is if I *had* to accept either evil, which do I view as the lesser? IMO it's silence. Lies are more deadly.

This is a dilemma as old as man so I really, really don't get the disconnect...

Anyway that's the best I can do to explain.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
The point is if I *had* to accept either evil, which do I view as the lesser? IMO it's silence. Lies are more deadly.
Hrm.. we'll have to agree to disagree then. Silence leads to speculation.. which can be equally as deadly as lies.

Again.. there is no "lesser" evil. If I "had" to choose one or the other.. I'm telling you there is no choice. It matters not which one happens as both are wrong. If they had a gun to my head saying "pick one" i'd just flip a coin.

Heads - Silence
Tails - Lies
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

I like how he's comparing the iPhone 4 reception problems to other phones. While all phones will have reception problems if you cover up the antenna, it seems Apple is the only one that brags about having an external antenna that's revolutionary.

Edit: At least Apple does something. Nokia just sits tight lipped.

Edit2: Full refund with no restocking fee for within 30 days if you return it. Or a free bumper case. Which they probably should've given in the first place considering their 17 anechoic chambers, 18 PhDs and engineers could've figured that putting the antenna where people hold the device might be problematic. But good move nevertheless. And as expected this announcement came with tons of Apple marketing and brainwashing.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-07-16 at 17:35.

Tags
let's turn off, the dim light