Notices

dack001: it's in ~/.modest/cache, in the 2gb internal partition, so that's a good point, best not to let it grow too big!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matthew_exon For This Useful Post:
What's generic-pr? I certainly didn't look for any dependency problems, it's a "works for me" thing.

I don't want to start a fork of Modest or Tinymail or anything, I just had an itch that needed scratching. Email clients are especially vulnerable to feature creep, and open source makes it worse. Keeping Modest usable means turning to people and saying "That essential feature which is a no-brainer to include? We're not including it, go buy a Blackberry". If "modest-community" ever happened, I for one probably wouldn't use it!

The bug in Tinymail is different though. Fixing it doesn't add bloat, on the contrary it exercises unused code and keeps bitrot at bay. So that's the bit I think is worth pushing.

Originally Posted by matthew_exon View Post
dack001: it's in ~/.modest/cache, in the 2gb internal partition, so that's a good point, best not to let it grow too big!

Thank your for your answer!

To bad, that means i can't use it. Atm i have ca 1 gig of emails in my main folder and its still growing
Wouldn't it be possible to relocate the cache to the FAT-Partition?
But i fear this might cause some problems if one would open the mail folder while the N900 is connected to the pc.

Looks as if i have to stick with easy-debians claws-mail a little longer.

I'd be surprised if something like this didn't work, although I don't have time to test it myself:

mv ~/.modest/cache ~/MyDocs/
ln -s ~/MyDocs/cache ~/.modest/

No doubt dramas will ensue if you try to use the mail client while the USB cable is plugged in and mass storage mode enabled, but in general I'd think that should work. Also, it seems safe to just blow away the entire cache directory and restart from scratch, it's just a cache after all.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Is this going to make it into the repos?
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

No, this is not going into the repos, not unless the Tinymail team fix that bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to matthew_exon For This Useful Post:
Hm, it seems your site might be down Mat? I'm very anxious to try our your fixes

Sorry about that, damn thing goes up and down more often than <insert ribald humour here>.

Should be running now.

The Following User Says Thank You to matthew_exon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Many thanks for this. Maybe the package and executable should be called "modest-community" or similar, to allow it to sit side-by-side with the official modest, if that will help avoid upgrade problems. It would also more easily allow users to compare and switch between the two versions.

I wonder if there are other community-created modest or tinymail patches that could be added to this version. Of course, these things should be pushed upstream, but it would be nice to be able to use fixed versions without having to wait for Nokia to release the next PR.
Good point. There is another patched version, see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56634
It would make sense to combine the efforts, but that is up to the authors of course.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maartenmk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ The Netherlands
Could somebody explain how to install thus?