Posts: 142 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
Yes but you have to take in account that BT is limited to a bit more than 1MBps while the HSPA can go easily over 6/7 MBps (and more with the n900).

Sharing the connection via BT is just meant for a quick tour.

For anything more the usb or wlan connection is required.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by The_Solutor View Post
Yes but you have to take in account that BT is limited to a bit more than 1MBps
2.1Mbps max asymmetric. 1.45Mbps max symmetric

while the HSPA can go easily over 6/7 MBps (and more with the n900).
Differs per telco.

Posts: 142 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
2.1Mbps max asymmetric. 1.45Mbps max symmetric
Those are raw values, noting to do with the real connection that you can obtain.

Just try yourself using dumeter/netmeter in windows or knemo or something similar in linux.

Differs per telco
Here (in italy) with all the four major provider you can get at least 5Mbps on a HSDPA 7.2/HSUPA covered territory.

This is what I get at my home with a Sonyericsson HSUPA 7.2 device.

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8950/md400agosto.jpg

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Graz, Austria
I think it will work out of the box. If i connect a symbian device in PC Suite Mode to my Mac it does exactly the same like the N900 in this Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vSqGSG9riU
Starting with Jaunty the Network Manager of Ubuntu also supports wireless broadband. I use this with my N97 and it is working perfectly. I think it will also show up as serial connected modem in Ubuntu and Network Manager will recognize it.

I can confirm that the N900 tethers just fine with ubuntu using wvdial or gnome-ppp on Hardy and Jaunty. (I don't have a karmic machine... yet).

I have done this using the bluetooth DUN server mentioned previously in this thread.

I plan to release an application to enable the DUN server on the N900 within the next couple weeks to extras-testing and eventually to extras so that way you don't need to go into the command line.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
What about wifi based tethering? (ie. using the N900 as a wifi access point, comparable to joikuspot and such)

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lincs, UK
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
What about wifi based tethering? (ie. using the N900 as a wifi access point, comparable to joikuspot and such)

That would be lush - I never had a problem connecting to ubuntu via joikuspot on my 5800, just the iPhone won't do it over USB - I've got a temporary fix now using "my wi"

Just for clarity - this is the case with DUND (pnatd script)?

Blueman "sees" n900 as "Network access point", and appears to connect, but there seems to be no Bluetooth net device created on the device side, and hereby no way to leverage actual connection.

For Ubuntu users and probably for all others linux users is pretty straight, my experience is:

Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala Desktop
plugged N900 to USB while the phone display is on!!
Selected "PC Suite" option on the N900
(then if you look at dmesg in your linux desktop you'll see a modem on ttyACM0)
On Network manager in my desktop I just clicked the broadband connection I already had with my internet key and I was online with full USB speed!

Probably if your linux does not support Broadband mobile from network manager you still able to use gnome-ppp or wvdial but absolutely you don't need to trick your n900 since it's already shown as a modem!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maxppc For This Useful Post:
Well I second that with F11 and F12 - it just works via USB cable. However, BT is just better in a number of situations.