Active Topics

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I mean.. I thought MeeGo is 100% open source, with Nokia only adding that binary closed crapware in the image THEY prep for their own device ONLY. MeeGo on other platforms wouldn't have it anyway.
Pure conjecture at this point, but I imagine it'll be the same story as usual. They won't mind their binaries on their own hardware.

So I don't imagine they'd have problems with people hacking at newer Nokia-specific MeeGo bits to run on N900 MeeGo, for instance.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
Pure conjecture at this point, but I imagine it'll be the same story as usual. They won't mind their binaries on their own hardware.
That's all speculation, at best. Time will answer all of that. It's all interesting how this will all work out.

Not too long ago, the only open phone was OpenMoko. Interesting times indeed.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I agree with dan here. MeeGo the core OS with reference framework should most certainly be possible to get on the Samsung now that those drivers are open. Ganted youd have to figure out to flash it..

Right now the only closed components in MeeGo for the N900 is completely N900 specific.. drivers and modules just for this device.

Now.. getting Nokias other proprietary stuff that they plan to add in the future to MeeGo probably not.. But that's not part of the MeeGo core.. thats Nokia specific stuff. A community could add its own components to MeeGo to compensate.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2010-08-13 at 06:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I agree with dan here. MeeGo the core OS with reference framework should most certainly be possible to get on the Samsung now that those drivers are open. Ganted youd have to figure out to flash it..

Right now the only closed components in MeeGo for the N900 is completely N900 specific.. drivers and modules just for this device.

Now.. getting Nokias other proprietary stuff that they plan to add in the future to MeeGo probably not.. But that's not part of the MeeGo core.. thats Nokia specific stuff. A community could add its own components to MeeGo to compensate.
And that's exactly the point I was making... getting MeeGo on another device (Samsung's Captivate, for example) would be a HUGE win... and, HELL, if it works smoothly maybe we can even convince Samsung to bless it and design handsets and tablets around MeeGo instead of Android.

I can only imagine Samsung would be a VASTLY better company to deal with than Nokia. Especially if they seem to have more pull with component manufacturers as they're proving that they do with this vastly more earnest push for open-sourcing than Nokia ever did for us. And especially still, if they grok open-source.. I mean TRULY grok it, unlike Nokia.

And that's exactly the point I was making... getting MeeGo on another device (Samsung's Captivate, for example) would be a HUGE win... and, HELL, if it works smoothly maybe we can even convince Samsung to bless it and design handsets and tablets around MeeGo instead of Android.

I can only imagine Samsung would be a VASTLY better company to deal with than Nokia. Especially if they seem to have more pull with component manufacturers as they're proving that they do with this vastly more earnest push for open-sourcing than Nokia ever did for us. And especially still, if they grok open-source.. I mean TRULY grok it, unlike Nokia.
I don't see any reason why samsung would NOT pick up Meego and put a phone out with it. they obviously do not have any hangups about putting out phones with WinMo, BADA, android.

Also, Sasmung has pull with manufacturers because in many many cases they ARE the manufacturer

not sure that Samsung would be any better to deal with though. They seem to be of the same mindset as Nokia, you bought a phone with version x.y.z software and that is all you bought, no update required

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
I don't see any reason why samsung would NOT pick up Meego and put a phone out with it. they obviously do not have any hangups about putting out phones with WinMo, BADA, android.

Also, Sasmung has pull with manufacturers because in many many cases they ARE the manufacturer
Yeah, they seem to be far more OS agnostic than Nokia--and your second point is RIGHT on the button, the very reason why I suspect they have far more pull than Nokia.

I hope Samsung is genuine about the open-source push--if MeeGo could woo Samsung into a handset for us, I suspect we'll ALLLLLLL be much better for it for every possible reason--the fact that they PRODUCE a lot of the components being far and away the biggest win of all.

I just had the thought--maybe we should call for Nokia to use more Sumsung parts in their devices, if Nokia keeps hiding behind (what I feel is a bogus) excuse that the component manufacturers are the bottleneck to open-sourcing.

Seems to be some genuine interest in this: http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=743

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Yes yes, negativity aside. So then... MeeGo on Samsung?
Android drivers != X.org drivers

Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Android drivers != X.org drivers
Good point... though.. with the source code couldn't X.org drivers be written?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:

Tags
2nokia, android, face palm, opensource