Posts: 169 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Austria
Originally Posted by TheKit View Post
Your tablet is ONDA V820W V5 then. Hardware like Wi-Fi/touchscreen/cameras might be different, but it should boot at least. You need to have 100 mb EFI partition and copy GRUB/kernel there, and ext4 root partition, large enough to contain Sailfish OS files.

Are the devices identical hardware-wise? As first step, extract boot paritition from stock firmware. Try to repack it and make sure it can be booted (flash or boot directly via fastboot). Then try replacing kernel with the one found on Dell Venue 8 7840 Android 5.0 firmware and check if it still can boot (kernel modules won't match, but display driver is usually built into kernel).
i don't know if they are identical. thanks for the ideas. why do i need the new kernel? for drivers? btw i broke ground on USB ,so ibrought it to arepair shop

The Following User Says Thank You to smatkovi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by smatkovi View Post
i don't know if they are identical. thanks for the ideas. why do i need the new kernel? for drivers? btw i broke ground on USB ,so ibrought it to arepair shop
I was replying to explit in second paragraph, please look at quotes.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
I was replying to explit in second paragraph, please look at quotes.
Okay thanks, it was very late

Your tablet is ONDA V820W V5 then. Hardware like Wi-Fi/touchscreen/cameras might be different, but it should boot at least. You need to have 100 mb EFI partition and copy GRUB/kernel there, and ext4 root partition, large enough to contain Sailfish OS files.

Are the devices identical hardware-wise? As first step, extract boot paritition from stock firmware. Try to repack it and make sure it can be booted (flash or boot directly via fastboot). Then try replacing kernel with the one found on Dell Venue 8 7840 Android 5.0 firmware and check if it still can boot (kernel modules won't match, but display driver is usually built into kernel).
will the 6MB "kernel" file i extracted from boot.img do?

will the 6MB "kernel" file i extracted from boot.img do?
or can sb send me the contents of the boot partition?^^ it doesn't hurry though, because the tablet is still at the repair shop

or can sb send me the contents of the boot partition?^^ it doesn't hurry though, because the tablet is still at the repair shop
You don't need boot partition. The kernel from /boot folder in rootfs is loaded using GRUB. We can't use Android bootloader, since UEFI is 32-bit and Jolla Tablet has 64-bit kernel (it's possible to compile 32-bit one, but I had some PulseAudio-related system crashes).

The Following User Says Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
You don't need boot partition. The kernel from /boot folder in rootfs is loaded using GRUB. We can't use Android bootloader, since UEFI is 32-bit and Jolla Tablet has 64-bit kernel (it's possible to compile 32-bit one, but I had some PulseAudio-related system crashes).
so i just have to copy the files to a partition and install grub with reference reference to the kernel

so i just have to copy the files to a partition and install grub with reference reference to the kernel
Exactly, no special installation is needed for GRUB, copying files to EFI partition is enough. If you want, I can try to make image for fastboot to flash Sailfish OS on ONDA.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
Exactly, no special installation is needed for GRUB, copying files to EFI partition is enough. If you want, I can try to make image for fastboot to flash Sailfish OS on ONDA.
yes please

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smatkovi For This Useful Post:
yes please
Well, no luck with fastboot so far due to droidboot limitations and some problems with tools.

To make it easier, I did an improvised installer, based on Archiso and custom script. Just download the archive, extract it to the root of FAT32-formatted USB drive, and boot tablet from it:
https://mega.nz/#!8FZRiBwB!FBBD8CUMa...Qp713VqT-FoAhM

One thing though, the tablet of yours is ONDA V820W V5, while mine is V3. There are slight hardware changes, but I'm not sure what is different exactly. The image should boot, but touchscreen/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/sound/etc may not work depending on what has been changed.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post: