Notices

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 375 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Berlin
Hej,

I've just pushed a small applet to extras-devel (obligatory warning in red, and it's there for a reason, see below) that provides a simple on-off switch for onion routing via the Tor network.
The applet basically listens to ConIc for connection events and starts the polipo web proxy and Tor daemon when needed, modifying the current proxy settings to route traffic through them. For more information about Tor, see http://www.torproject.org.

It seems to work well here mostly, but I've had it crash the hildon-status-menu while upgrading the status-area-applet-tor package. If this happens while onion routing is enabled, this will leave the tor and polipo processes running and the proxy settings will stay modified. To get back to a clean state, I had to kill the tor and polipo processes and disconnect/reconnect the network connection to get the default proxy settings back.

Also, so far it will only work if you don't use a proxy already. There's no mechanism yet that tells the Tor daemon to use the original proxy settings (before overwriting them).

Here's the garage page: https://garage.maemo.org/projects/tor-status
Attached Images

Last edited by pH5; 2010-01-19 at 16:51.

The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to pH5 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Guangzhou, China
It works and it's great! But could it be changed to show the icon in status area only when Tor is turned on?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mpsi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ China
Originally Posted by pH5 View Post
Hej,

I've just pushed a small applet to extras-devel (obligatory warning in red, and it's there for a reason, see below) that provides a simple on-off switch for onion routing via the Tor network.
The applet basically listens to ConIc for connection events and starts the polipo web proxy and Tor daemon when needed, modifying the current proxy settings to route traffic through them. For more information about Tor, see http://www.torproject.org.

It seems to work well here mostly, but I've had it crash the hildon-status-menu while upgrading the status-area-applet-tor package. If this happens while onion routing is enabled, this will leave the tor and polipo processes running and the proxy settings will stay modified. To get back to a clean state, I had to kill the tor and polipo processes and disconnect/reconnect the network connection to get the default proxy settings back.

Also, so far it will only work if you don't use a proxy already. There's no mechanism yet that tells the Tor daemon to use the original proxy settings (before overwriting them).

Here's the garage page: https://garage.maemo.org/projects/tor-status
I'm trying to decide if I should install this. I don't know anything about Tor yet but that's not the problem. I don't know how to kill processes and whatnot if it crashes...maybe I can give it a go and if it crashes I'll consult you. so do i have to plugin server addresses/port no's for Tor? how does it work? where do i get 'bridge' info ?

The Following User Says Thank You to HRZ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ China
Ok figured out how to get bridge relays (tor's website is blocked in china so i had to use a proxy just to get on there and find out that i send an email to Tor and they provide me with them)
just in case though, does anyone out there want to "help censored users" option in Tor?

The Following User Says Thank You to HRZ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 50 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ France
Thanks for this package !
It's running very well. I really like it.

But not all the internet trafic is route through tor network.

You should put a warning message about this after the installation or after the first launch and a message box about torify.

Two last things.

- I can't connect to hidden service (website with url finish with .onion). Maybe I have a mistake during installation ?

- Do you think it is possible to host hidden service (for example with lighthttp) ? Don't worry about performance, it's just a test ( I really want host a website on the n900 with 3G connexion but i am behind a NAT).

Last edited by mymybib; 2010-01-24 at 22:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to mymybib For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 375 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by mpsi View Post
But could it be changed to show the icon in status area only when Tor is turned on?
It mimics the behaviour of the online presence icon, but if the majority of (potential) users think the "Tor is disabled" icon is not very useful, I'll happily remove that from the status area.

Originally Posted by HRZ View Post
just in case though, does anyone out there want to "help censored users" option in Tor?
I am planning to add a configuration dialog for the bridge relay addresses. Maybe this would be a good place for a small hint how to get them? I'm not sure if setting up a bridge relay over 3G is very useful, though.

Originally Posted by mymybib View Post
But not all the internet trafic is route through tor network.
Probably an extract of and/or a link to the information at https://www.torproject.org/download.html.en#Warning is in order. Actually, I didn't even try yet if dnsmasq honors the SOCKS proxy settings...

- I can't connect to hidden service (website with url finish with .onion). Maybe I have a mistake during installation ?
I'm not sure, maybe somebody with more Tor knowledge can shed a light on that? I just entered "http://32rfckwuorlf4dlv.onion" (onion.is-found.org) to test, and it loaded the page.

- Do you think it is possible to host hidden service (for example with lighthttp) ? Don't worry about performance, it's just a test ( I really want host a website on the n900 with 3G connexion but i am behind a NAT).
Should be possible. Want to try it and give me a hint how to integrate this?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pH5 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Hiya,

Originally Posted by pH5 View Post
It mimics the behaviour of the online presence icon, but if the majority of (potential) users think the "Tor is disabled" icon is not very useful, I'll happily remove that from the status area.
Please do; I find it wastes space otherwise.

I've only got one minor request that reflects my anal-retentive nature: Please call Vala's hildon-bindings' equivalent to hildon_button_set_style() on the button shown in the status bar and set its style to HILDON_BUTTON_STYLE_PICKER to have the button's value label "coloured in" (like the profile applet in your screenshot showing that your N900 is in the Silent profile), as it reflects the fact that you can actually change its value (like with a HildonPickerButton).

Many thanks for the applet as it works brilliantly in college.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-01-23 at 15:03.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
is there anything like this for SSH and SSH tunneling? Tor is a little slow.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Guangzhou, China
After I upgraded to 0.0.2-1, not only Tor icon disappeared from the status area, but also Tor entry from the status menu (which means there is no way to toggle Tor on), as well as other icons and entries there except some default ones.

The Following User Says Thank You to mpsi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 37 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Bremen, Germany
Originally Posted by mpsi View Post
After I upgraded to 0.0.2-1, not only Tor icon disappeared from the status area, but also Tor entry from the status menu (which means there is no way to toggle Tor on), as well as other icons and entries there except some default ones.

same here ... for example i removed 2G/3G applet and installed it, but that did not work.

Tags
"tor story"