Notices

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2016 @ Austria
thank you very much for this entirely correct post. however, this is one way "we" already came up with/know about (if you look a few pages back).
but nevertheless, thank you for repeating in order to inform any potential reader that may only look at this very thread's last page.

The Following User Says Thank You to HTuRtle For This Useful Post:
Even though it was already mentioned:

WA works quite well (*) in NITDroid.

The N900 is my only phone and I just reboot into NITDroid from time to time to check WA. Maybe not an option for power-WA-user.

(*) Slow and sometimes a few crashes but sending txt and pictures is no problem.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawksi For This Useful Post:
… if the 'phone-app' would just work in NITDroid.
the only 'other downside' to this method is, that WhatsApp plans to remove support for the Android version NITDroid is based on. I read it somewhere, that this is planned .. I even believe, I've got it off from within this thread, somewhere (the link to the official WhatsApp-statement, I mean).

ah, here you go (you're welcome, dear 'Google')

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ New Delhi, DELHI, INDIA
Originally Posted by Frasier View Post
Here's a possible way to get WA on the n900. Get another cheap android phone and connect to WA. On the browser of the N900, go to WA page for using WA on another pc. Scan the bar code there with your WA enabled phone. As long as the WA enabled phone is connected to the internet, one should be able to use WA on the webpage through the browser on the N900. Worth a shot in resuscitating the n900.
Expanding on this method, I would like to point out that most of the browsers on N900 are slow in regards to today's standards. Plus, the WA Web interface is too big for even 5-inch phones.

The solution: A web app. Now I don't have even the basic knowledge and expertise about coding. If I am correct, it's only a matter of overriding and manipulating the page elements so that it fits our device's screen, maybe add a few tweaks for better performance and package it as a fremantle app.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to princefakhan For This Useful Post:
this sounds like a sound idea. writing a web-app should be possible. but as you still need another dedicated phone up and running, I don't see it as "the next big thing for meamo". the one that'd code it prolly knows very well this work and effort is for a merely exclusive circle of less than 10 people in the world (just a 'rough and wild' assumption .. no 'raw metrics' evaluated for this xD )

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by princefakhan View Post
Expanding on this method, I would like to point out that most of the browsers on N900 are slow in regards to today's standards. Plus, the WA Web interface is too big for even 5-inch phones.

The solution: A web app. Now I don't have even the basic knowledge and expertise about coding. If I am correct, it's only a matter of overriding and manipulating the page elements so that it fits our device's screen, maybe add a few tweaks for better performance and package it as a fremantle app.
I suggested this before but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. We'd just need to implement the part the app that generates the unique ID (QR code) that is needed in order to use the web interface and then that ID could be passed to a web app or some web interface that has been optimised for MicroB. I'd look into myself but I don't have the time. It's already been done on Android and iOS. We just need port it to the N900.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 180 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ New Delhi, DELHI, INDIA
Originally Posted by HTuRtle View Post
this sounds like a sound idea. writing a web-app should be possible. but as you still need another dedicated phone up and running, I don't see it as "the next big thing for meamo". the one that'd code it prolly knows very well this work and effort is for a merely exclusive circle of less than 10 people in the world (just a 'rough and wild' assumption .. no 'raw metrics' evaluated for this xD )
Maybe I am being greedy here, but right now WA working on N900 exclusively is a big NO. WA Web is a viable option but it is slow on N900 browsers. So why not work on improving that till we find another way.

As for the secondary device problem, you can use an android emulator if you don't have a supported physical device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to princefakhan For This Useful Post:
oh, yes, I've to admit, the VM-box'd android is a great substitute in this case .. cool idea 8-) *wondering why I didn't come up with that in the first place*

Hi anyone, i'll be buying a nokia N900 and was wondering if there is anyway to obtain whatsapp ? im seeing here that its dead now, or is there another way to have whatsapp on the Nokia N900

Im just starting out getting into hacking
please and thank you

R

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
there is no such thing as "obtaining" whatsapp.
there is either work by your peers here being done on a port or application ...to bring "x" to the device line..

....or not...

If you were to use a browser on the n900 which would allow you to utilize "whatsapp web" ...then whatsapp is possible.

Such a native n900 browser may or may not work ... the n900 browsers are old.
and have not been updated..(we do not have folks here who can devote the time and expertise to maintain a browser which would be current enough for modern social media...which is perpetually changing it's face...)

Possibly a browser in a version of a distro which one of the guys has been working on....may work.
Kali...
Easy Deb perhaps...
Still...it must be current browser ...with the ability of the distro to get needed updates without breaking ....
and especially needed browser updates.

Kali is a current ...almost bug free... option...
I personally think Antix would be more stable and perform better..,
but...
Making distros for arm isn't my strong suit ...

But for you and everyone else who want perpetually changing social media apps to function on the n900...
the best bet is a distro.
Easy Kali
Easy Deb.
Easy "x"

You could scream loud enough ...that someone hears and comes up with a solution .

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:

Tags
whatsapp, yappari