Notices

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
cuteNews is a user-friendly internet RSS news and podcast aggregator for Maemo5.

Features include:
  • Choice of 'OSSO' and 'Touch' user interfaces.
  • Choice of 'Dark on light' or 'Light on dark' reading modes.
  • Choice of URL, local file or custom command for subscription sources.
  • Import subscriptions via OPML.
  • Search articles using keywords or SQLite WHERE query.
  • Option to save articles as favourites.
  • Option to automatically download enclosures.
  • Option to add custom URL openers for handling links and enclosures.

Using custom commands for subscription source

The only requirement for a custom command is that it must output a valid RSS feed response to STDOUT, for example:

Code:
wget -q http://talk.maemo.org/external?type=RSS2 -O -
Custom URL openers

Custom URL openers can be managed either in the application, or by manually creating/editing the config file located at
~/.config/cuteNews/urlopeners. Each URL opener has a display name, a regular expression (used to match the activated URL)
and a command that will be executed when a URL is activated:

Code:
[My MP3 handler]
regExp=http(s|)://.+\.mp3$
command=/usr/bin/mp3player
Now, any link to an MP3 file will be opened using the specified command.

Screenshots

More screenshots are available at http://marxoft.co.uk/projects/cutenews/

Source code

The source code is available at https://github.com/marxoft/cutenews.

My website

GitHub

Last edited by marxian; 2015-08-19 at 02:52.

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
well as usual its a solid piece in your cute lineup of diverse products
but for me looks like i am more sticked to copernicious app though its slow but audio news is awsome and uses a fair amount of bandwith daily
but your app looks nicer i mean the layout so would like to ask any chances that it gets ofline mode i.e i open the app select offline consumption and it downloads articles for the session so i am able to disconnet save battrey read whenever i get time in my busy shedule without worring about network or battrey.
also if there is a plugin that i can install on dextop browsers that alows send to n900 i.e links and later on n900 i syncronise and have knowledge and fun without coming returning home with a empty battrey

currently i use opera mini for the purpose it works nice but got flatal flaws like draining battrey even if i disconect no ability to open links via system i.e a huge problem in itself no systemwide copypaste and more so i use a combination of linguine and opera daily it works but makes my n900 pee in my pockets

hopes are high for a new generation content aggregator program

thanks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
very good idea that nokiabot...yeah that is one thing I love is downloading for offline perusal later...

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
well as usual its a solid piece in your cute lineup of diverse products
but for me looks like i am more sticked to copernicious app though its slow but audio news is awsome and uses a fair amount of bandwith daily
but your app looks nicer i mean the layout so would like to ask any chances that it gets ofline mode i.e i open the app select offline consumption and it downloads articles for the session so i am able to disconnet save battrey read whenever i get time in my busy shedule without worring about network or battrey.
also if there is a plugin that i can install on dextop browsers that alows send to n900 i.e links and later on n900 i syncronise and have knowledge and fun without coming returning home with a empty battrey

currently i use opera mini for the purpose it works nice but got flatal flaws like draining battrey even if i disconect no ability to open links via system i.e a huge problem in itself no systemwide copypaste and more so i use a combination of linguine and opera daily it works but makes my n900 pee in my pockets

hopes are high for a new generation content aggregator program

thanks
Articles are already downloaded and stored in a SQLite database. The only items not cached to disk are the images, but that option may be added later. You can download enclosures either manually using a long-press on the link, or automatically by enabling the 'Download enclosures automatically' option when adding a feed.

Regarding sync from desktop, you can source articles from wherever you like using the custom command option when adding a feed, so it's possible to use a script that retrieves the articles stored on your desktop machine.

My website

GitHub

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 166 | Thanked: 454 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Poland
Unfortunately the application does not work properly for me.
It starts normally.
Then I go to "New subscription" and enter the address. All seems to work properly until now.
When I click done it downloads some data for short period of time and sets the name for the feed (properly). But there is no articles. Now every time I hit update it connects to the Internet but does nothing. I can see a short blink of "Updating..." information but the feed still is empty.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Articles are already downloaded and stored in a SQLite database. The only items not cached to disk are the images, but that option may be added later. You can download enclosures either manually using a long-press on the link, or automatically by enabling the 'Download enclosures automatically' option when adding a feed.

Regarding sync from desktop, you can source articles from wherever you like using the custom command option when adding a feed, so it's possible to use a script that retrieves the articles stored on your desktop machine.
well i ll take my time to use this and report back how far it goes
thanks

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
Is there a plan to support OPML import?

Originally Posted by Tomaszd View Post
Is there a plan to support OPML import?
OPML import has been implemented ready for the forthcoming update.

Also, a homescreen widget:

My website

GitHub

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 166 | Thanked: 454 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Poland
Originally Posted by mp107 View Post
Unfortunately the application does not work properly for me.
It starts normally.
Then I go to "New subscription" and enter the address. All seems to work properly until now.
When I click done it downloads some data for short period of time and sets the name for the feed (properly). But there is no articles. Now every time I hit update it connects to the Internet but does nothing. I can see a short blink of "Updating..." information but the feed still is empty.
Some clarification:
After starting the app through Terminal, during updating any feed I get an error:
Code:
QNetworkReplyImpl::_q_startOperation was called more than once

Originally Posted by mp107 View Post
Some clarification:
After starting the app through Terminal, during updating any feed I get an error:
Code:
QNetworkReplyImpl::_q_startOperation was called more than once
That is harmless warning caused by a private QtNetwork method being called more than once. The method simply returns in this case, so there is no harm done. Your problem is probably caused by some error in parsing the RSS feed. If you could list the feeds you have tried, I will test them on my device.

My website

GitHub

Tags
cutenews, rss feeds