Posts: 52 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Germany
Hello everyone!

I just got myself a Jolla phone. :-)
There is one thing that I can't find in the settings, namely DEactivating the word/autofill suggestions atop the virtual keyboard (see attachment). I personally don't use them, because I want to know that if I've written bogus, it's my very own fault, not some software's. :-)
Besides, without this extra line you would see much more of the screen...

If the answer is obvious, please forgive my blindness :-)

Greetings,

NobodyInPerson
Attached Images

Last edited by NobodyInPerson; 2017-01-14 at 08:07. Reason: stupid spelling mistake in thread title corrected

The Following User Says Thank You to NobodyInPerson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
AFAIK, you can't hide that.
And what's even worse, since my language/keyboard is not supported all the words I type eventually end up in English dictionary.
I really miss that feature from N900 where the words were coming up as I was typing.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
There is an existing TJC question about the same thing. The answer is, you cannot do it through the UI but you can by editing some files in Developer mode. It would even be an easy job for a patch, if anyone could be bothered.

The problem is that the clipboard icon is in the same row as the word suggestions and you do not want to lose that.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
The problem is that the clipboard icon is in the same row as the word suggestions and you do not want to lose that.
Didn't think about that, right... Okay, well then. Still a beautiful device :-)

Last edited by NobodyInPerson; 2017-01-14 at 08:07.

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Settings, Text input, Allow split keyboard in landscape will put the suggestions down the middle rather than at the top, which may be a "good enough" fix for you (if you're only concerned with landscape)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
Settings, Text input, Allow split keyboard in landscape will put the suggestions down the middle rather than at the top, which may be a "good enough" fix for you (if you're only concerned with landscape)
Yes probably. Still quite strange to write like this :-)

Last edited by NobodyInPerson; 2017-01-14 at 08:06.

I found a solution that does the trick for me. This removes the middle column with word suggestions and the paste button from the landscape split view (which can be activated in Settings->Textentry->split keyboard), leaving you with a landscape keyboard with big keys that covers less than half of the screen. To use the pastebutton, you will have to switch to portrait mode. For me, this is perfect, because I personally don't use copy-pasting that often.

So here you go:
  • Become root (devel-su).
  • Open the file /usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/KeyboardGeometry.qml, consider making a backup file.
  • Quite in the center of the file, change
    Code:
    property int middleBarWidth: keyboardWidthLandscape / 4
    to
    Code:
    property int middleBarWidth: 0
  • restart mailiit-server by
    Code:
    killall maliit-server
  • Done! :-)

- tested with SailfishOS 2.0.0.10 (Saimaa) -

Known issues:
  • The Opera Mobile Android app seems to be special regarding the keyboard. It is the only Android app - or app at all - that I tested still displaying the paste button. You can't tap on it, so it's no actual problem, but it is sufficiently ugly :-) Possible workaround: Switch to portrait mode, hold the paste button and delete the clipboard contents. Now the icon is no longer shown in landscape mode until you put something to the clipboard again.
Attached Images

Last edited by NobodyInPerson; 2017-01-14 at 08:04.

Tags
settings