Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
First of all the n900 is not a 'crap' phone.
He said he's considering to buy a crap phone, like an S40 based one to tide him over til next year.

One year is a lot in regards to technology and even that is not sure. It took almost 3 years for a hardware upgrade from n800 to n900. I hear that omap 3 is pretty advanced and the next generation is only an incremental update.
Ok, your first sentence seem to conflict the latter ones..

If i were you i would definitely buy the n900 especially since members in this forum have been waiting for ever for a hardware upgrade!
That sounds like a good reason for people to upgrade their device Apple and RIM should start up their semi-open developer incubation program, leave them stranded in a small forum somewhere for 3 years, then the device they release afterward will be a guaranteed commercial success

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Just a quick question. Is it possible to upgrade the Maemo5 OS on n900 to Maemo6 when it becomes available? I know nokia will somehow modified the N900 and call it N910 by using the Maemo6 (and few modifications of course) to make your N900 look silly (obsolete).

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Search, Search, Search, Searchbutton, Ho!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jack6428 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
See the article from SlashGear on the Nokia presentation today:

http://www.slashgear.com/maemo-6-ui-...irmed-0959800/

It may come down to the same problem we have with Maemo 5 on the N810 - the hardware won't support it.

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Nokia needs to rework their ideas about phone support.

They're still stuck with the idea that they make a custom build of their OS for a particular phone model and then move it into "support only" where they make minor tweaks or bug fixes.

Apple changed all that completely. People now expect continual updates for their phone with new features and new applications. If Maemo 6 comes with features the N900 cannot support then obviously it can't have those features but there's no reason why it shouldn't get everything else.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sharper For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sharper View Post

They're still stuck with the idea that they make a custom build of their OS for a particular phone model and then move it into "support only" where they make minor tweaks or bug fixes.

Apple changed all that completely. People now expect continual updates for their phone with new features and new applications. If Maemo 6 comes with features the N900 cannot support then obviously it can't have those features but there's no reason why it shouldn't get everything else.
I don't get it. I own a 5800 and have received firmware updates over the air. Even the n95 was updatable in the same way as is N97 today - kinetic scrolling added this way.

Let me know when Apple starts OTA updates.

The Following User Says Thank You to franklinn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
This is no phone. It's a computer. If Nokia decides that their new operating system requires a Gizmagish Physics 3D chip, you go find another OS.

Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
I think people are losing sight of the context within which all this OS evolution is taking place.

The mobile [internet] device market is in its infancy. We're taking toddler steps right now. Hardware is evolving at one heckuva pace. Radical changes are afoot. This isn't like the progression of x86 hardware, where we could expect successive versions of linux (frex) to work on older hardware.

If Maemo6 doesn't support the N900, for whatever reason, there is nothing to prevent the OSS community from taking any modular compatible improvements and back-porting them to Maemo5.

It's far too early to be getting a bee in our bonnet

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hogwash For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by franklinn View Post
I don't get it. I own a 5800 and have received firmware updates over the air. Even the n95 was updatable in the same way as is N97 today - kinetic scrolling added this way.

Let me know when Apple starts OTA updates.
i agree 100%. it's a real shame that Nokia has not been able to upgrade all S60 devices. certainly this has been discussed before, especially with regard to hardware features tied into S60 firmware releases. however, on the other hand, you streamline your code management and release(s) across say 1 S60 release, 1 S40 release and 1 maemo release. if you have an older device, the kernel should recognize this and block out any features not available on the specific platform. on a related note, seeing the announcements related to Qt on N900 today is gonna be great. in the future, you'll have the potential for 1 code base for your project that can include support for multiple operating systems. that's definitely the way to go!

Couple of questions for you.
Why can't a first generation iPhone surf on 3G speed?
Why cannot iPhone 3G take advantage of applications that uses compass?

Tags
compatibility, future, harmattan, harmattan is for new $$$, maemo, maemo 6, n900, speculation, upgrade