Active Topics

Same media player for maemo that includes support for A2DP bluetooth audio and support for maemoscrobbler is back! You can download it here:
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/kagu/

This new 1.0.2 release includes:
* Many performance enhancements
* Lower RAM usage
* Fixed a few bugs in the theme engine
* Switched to using mplayer's ffmp3 instead of libmp3 for a2dp playback.
ffmp3 is more efficient on ARM.

Everyone currently running 1.0 or 1.0.1 should upgrade as this release is an all around better performer.

Thanks!

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Texas
Should we uninstall the old version before installing the new one, and if so, will all A2DP settings still remain intact, or do those have to be redone?

Thanks for the update, I really think Kagu has quite a bit of potential. I prefer the sequential and numbered order of song lists, all in one column, compared to the way UKMP lists songs.

Too bad there is no way to enable a portrait mode for Kagu, it would be much better for long lists than landscape, plus it would make the N800 easier to hold while browsing songs. Plus, the song info and album cover info while playing could be larger and easier to read in portrait mode.

Originally Posted by orbitalcomp View Post
Should we uninstall the old version before installing the new one, and if so, will all A2DP settings still remain intact, or do those have to be redone?
They should remain intact. no uninstall necessary.

Originally Posted by orbitalcomp View Post
Too bad there is no way to enable a portrait mode for Kagu, it would be much better for long lists than landscape, plus it would make the N800 easier to hold while browsing songs. Plus, the song info and album cover info while playing could be larger and easier to read in portrait mode.
It's planned. Probably won't make release for a while, but I agree and it is planned.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Texas
Nice! So portrait is possible, I had no idea. Definitely would make the N800 easier to pick up and operate with one hand while driving, like an iPod. Plus, being an iPhone user, I can tell you it is much easier to use the 'flick-scroll' method in this orientation.

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
Maybe I missed something but why isn't ogg support available ?
Thanks
Fred

Originally Posted by fredoll View Post
Maybe I missed something but why isn't ogg support available ?
Thanks
Fred
Simply because:
1.) I don't have any OGGs
2.) I'm not sure how to handle the OGG equivalent of the ID3 tag.

Most of the functionality to support OGG is present, but it hasn't been tested so it's probably broken. If anyone wants to submit a patch that enables OGG, then please do so. Otherwise, it'll have to wait until I get some more pressing features finished.

awesome, can't wait to test it out once i get home

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Rio de Janeiro
Why not joining force with UKMP, since both are in python?

Originally Posted by skorianez View Post
Why not joining force with UKMP, since both are in python?
This is a common question, so I'll attempt to explain:

Originally, I wanted to help the UKMP project, but as I got into it, I realized that UKMP's code is too messy to service. The entire application is crammed into a single massive file, among other things. In addition, UKMP's author didn't want to move to python 2.5 and sqlite3 for a database backend. I believe that step is necessary for good performance and clean code.

Therefore, Kagu is a complete rewrite of UKMP from the ground up with a clean, highly object oriented, design. It isn't perfect, and we're still playing catch-up to UKMP's feature set (though we already have a number of features that UKMP lacks), but we think Kagu is a lot easier to maintain and extend than UKMP.

Both projects are GPL, so UKMP is free to take from Kagu any code that it finds useful. (In particular, I think UKMP's author might like the Screen/Battery awareness code, and maybe the OSSOPlayer code, as we found GStreamer less than reliable) We've already taken a ton of code from UKMP and rewritten it for Kagu's object model. So it's not like the two projects can't benefit each other. This is, after all, open source.

Of course, if UKMP's author wants to join the Kagu project, we'll welcome him. We're always looking for new programmers to help out.

Tangent....
I loaded 1.0.2 but do not have the latest firmware. It scanned my card just fine, but when starting the application it blacks the screen and then dies. I have the latest python, and installed the app from the install button. I don't need the a2dp stuff, so I wanted to check out what this app looked like. Does this app require the latest firmware update? What is the command to run from the command line so that I maybe I can see why it would be dying?