Active Topics

Originally Posted by Pim View Post
Fantastic to hear this. SailfishOS looked great on the Jolla tablet, even better than on phones IMHO. The only problem was apps failing due to memory issues. Better hardware like this Z3 should fix that.

I hope Jolla starts offering commercial support for SailfishOS on this device, like on the Xperia X phone.
Certainly Sailfish OS looks great on this device, and being an armv7 device you dont have that problem where all the apps need recompiling into x86 to run, you've just got the usual display scaling issues.

I don't think we will see commercial support from Jolla on this though, the base AOSP is not good enough and the hardware is a number of years old now and probably not that easy to buy anymore. In fact its been a few years since Sony has released a tablet at all so maybe they have a new one in the works.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 1,105 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
Just a status update, thanks to the work that Jolla has been doing on the Xperia X we now have working bluetooth on the Sony Z3 Tablet as well. I've tested file transfer with a Jolla C, as well as headset and remote control profiles, thats all the bluetooth devices I have.

I also fixed the lockscreen, and so the only major outstanding bug is the fact that sometimes it takes 6-7 attempts before it succesfully boots.

I've got an image for SailfishOS 2.1.2.3, so hopefully Jolla can make this one a full release sometime this week
2.1.3.7 is the latest official release. Any updates or intentions for a public release? Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to BluesLee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
I don't think we will see commercial support from Jolla on this though, the base AOSP is not good enough and the hardware is a number of years old now and probably not that easy to buy anymore. In fact its been a few years since Sony has released a tablet at all so maybe they have a new one in the works.
Sony seem to have given up with tablets as for that matter have most of the manufacturers making higher end Android tablets. My z3c tablet is still in use almost daily and when I've occasionally looked for a better 7/8" tablet, I've not found a one. There's only the iPad Mini that has advanced significantly since 2014 and despite being a Mac user, I find iOS too simplistic and confusing.

It would be nice to see a Sony XZ1 Compact tablet. Then I might be tempted to mess about with Sailfish (again) on my Z3c.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
I havent really been working on it for a little while, but I build a 2.1.3.7 image last night and haven't yet managed to get it to boot.

Now i get the fun of figuring out if i need to do something or it's just the same bug thats been annoying me for a while now where it takes 10+ attempts to get it to boot...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
I havent really been working on it for a little while, but I build a 2.1.3.7 image last night and haven't yet managed to get it to boot.

Now i get the fun of figuring out if i need to do something or it's just the same bug thats been annoying me for a while now where it takes 10+ attempts to get it to boot...
Sounds weird, nothing relevant in the boot logs, what do the porters say about this issue?

Is it working well with older builds, maybe we need at least one more sailor to test and reproduce the issue?

The Following User Says Thank You to BluesLee For This Useful Post:
Ok I've made some headway into the boot failure problem and I'm uploading a 2.1.3.7 image for scorpion_windy which i'll edit this post with once its done.

This image may take a few attempts before it boots fully, but I've altered the init script with a LED light sequence so we can tell what its doing.

The sequence is:
Power on -> Orange LED -> Aqua LED -> Purple LED -> Off -> White LED

This should happen in reasonably quick succession and so if it hangs at the Orange or Aqua stages for more than 10 seconds then it is most likely stuck and needs to be turned off by holding VOL UP + POWER until it shuts off.

I haven't seen it get stuck at the Purple or White stages, so if you see those it should finish booting ok.

To Flash the Image first we need to put on AOSP6 by unpacking the tarball and using fastboot as follows:

fastboot –S 256M flash boot boot.img
fastboot –S 256M flash system system.img
fastboot –S 256M flash userdata userdata.img

and then you can flash the SailfishOS .zip as per usual through TWRP.

EDIT:

Downloads Here

Last edited by r0kk3rz; 2018-04-21 at 13:48.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
I think this thread deserves more attention from our community.

Besides the boot issue the scorpion windy is the best choice for running Sailfishos on a tablet as the Jolla tablet is very rare.

Everything seems to work well here. With this build we have working sensors, bluetooth, video playback in browser etc.

Many thanks r0kk3rz.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BluesLee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Thank you for your great work.

@BluesLee
Yes, I agree! I already liked the first version. The battery life was great! Unfortunately, I sold my Cellular version, but think again to buy one Only I would like to have one with Celluar feature.

I have two questions about this:

1) Can the owners of a Cellular version also flash the IMAGE?
2) is the kernel adapted for Anbox?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cvp View Post
Thank you for your great work.

@BluesLee
Yes, I agree! I already liked the first version. The battery life was great! Unfortunately, I sold my Cellular version, but think again to buy one Only I would like to have one with Celluar feature.

I have two questions about this:

1) Can the owners of a Cellular version also flash the IMAGE?
2) is the kernel adapted for Anbox?
1) I don't think so, but it should be easy to build a cellular version that works just as well
2) Anbox is a possibility, I need to check what it needs on the kernel side

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 357 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Europe
How does the Z3 Compact tablet compare to the Jolla tablet w.r.t. memory? I have Jolla tablet and love it, but it struggles with more than a few apps open and some Web pages are too complex for the browser.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pim For This Useful Post: