Posts: 166 | Thanked: 454 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Poland
I consider buying the Jolla Phone and I have a few questions.
Unfortunately on the official site the phone is currently out of stock but I hope it will be back some day.
1. Do we know about any end-of-support date for Jolla Phone? There is about two years since the release date so unfortunately it might be soon.
2. Can I lost warranty due to some software modifications?
3. Can I flash firmware after bricking the device as easily as in N9/N900?
4. Does Jolla Phone have SIM toolkit?
5. Does MMS function work?
6. Does Flash Player for Android work in some browsers on current firmware version?
7. Is there a possibility to run more video/audio formats (beside those supported by gstreamer) through Android apps? If so, will they (at least some of them) work with HW acceleration?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mp107 View Post
1. Do we know about any end-of-support date for Jolla Phone? There is about two years since the release date so unfortunately it might be soon.
No idea, but I suppose by European law, it's required to be supported for two years after it was last sold. That doesn't mean software updates, of course.

Not for the hardware, but for the OS. Basically, if you break it, you get to keep the pieces, if you broke it with software modifications.

Thanks to Qualcomm, no!
You can reset to factory defaults as long as you didn't mess up the filesystem and bootloader. So you can still get it out of a reboot loop, for example.

Yes.

Yes.

6. Does Flash Player for Android work in some browsers on current firmware version?
Probably. It used to work in 2013, so I assume it will still work on Alien Dalvik.

7. Is there a possibility to run more video/audio formats (beside those supported by gstreamer) through Android apps? If so, will they (at least some of them) work with HW acceleration?
Probably not with hardware acceleration, but yes.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
I consider buying the Jolla Phone and I have a few questions.
Unfortunately on the official site the phone is currently out of stock but I hope it will be back some day.
1 warranty in EU is 2 years from purchade
2 yes
3 no
4 yes
5 yes
6 flash is dead
7 yes/no

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 166 | Thanked: 454 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Poland
Regarding the 1st question.
I asked about software updates (and those end time). Is it known?
Sorry for the previous inaccurate question.

Regarding the 3rd question.
So (if I understand right some informations read here and there) we can restore default settings only through such an option in settings (if the device boots up) or through recovery. Am I right?

Regarding the 1st question.
I asked about software updates (and those end time). Is it known?
Sorry for the previous inaccurate question.

Regarding the 3rd question.
So (if I understand right some informations read here and there) we can restore default settings only through such an option in settings (if the device boots up) or through recovery. Am I right?
1. From Jolla, not know. But many apps (openrepos, merproject, jolla store etc.) are maintained by individual persons. A few Jolla ones are also seperately updated by individuals - f.x. bash, openssh by myself - due to the fact that Jolla wont use GPLv3 stuff

2. Yes, Factory reset is available thru phone menu, or if phone wont start, recovery. Recovery saves a lot of situations, but, you CAN mess up so that even recovery wont help.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, phone, question, questions