Active Topics

Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well, ubiboot.dmesg looks okay, can you paste the ubiboot.log also?
Can you show what is on your /boot/ directory? (ls -la /boot)
Did you extract the preinits correctly? (ls -la /sbin/preinit*)
I got it it working . It was the preinits . Thanks anyway for the hard work in ubiboot

The Following User Says Thank You to myname24 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Hillerød, DK
Yes, ubiboot is a loader kernel.
It is not a "user-kernel", in a way that it is meant to be a boot loader 1st stage, which then launches your "real" kernels which run your OS.
Think of it like Grub or LiLo, or Uboot.

Under ubiboot, you then select/load the 2nd stage kernel, this can be plain open mode kernel, old-style nitdroid kernel, enhanced kernel+NAT, enhanced Nitdroid kernel, whatever.

Ubiboot is just the method to select between all these kernels (and of course the OS that the kernel runs, as default it can be Harmattan, Nitdroid or Nemo. Later maybe something else too... FFOS, SailfisOS, Tizen,...)
Thanks for a very good explanation!

PC:
C:/Programmer/Nokia/Flasher:
DFL61_HARMATTAN_40.2012.21-3.340.04.1_PR_LEGACY_340_ARM_RM-696_PRD_signed.bin
flasher.exe ( from Winflasher_3.12.1.exe)
zImage_2.6.32.54-ubiboot-02_040613

N9:
/home/user/MyDocs/boot:
ubiboot.conf
ubiboot-02.menus.cpio (unpacked or *.tar?)

/boot:
zImage_2.6.32.54-dfl61-20121301
(alternative kernel-plus 2.6.32.59 for Harmattan)

Now I have ubiboot in the bottom so to speak and on top Harmattan “default” open mode kernel.
Later I can add NITDroid, Nemo etc if I want to!

Two questions:
What about the slow boot issue mentioned in the README file 4.), is that a problem if I don’t use openmode+L2fix kernel? http://www.swagman.org/juice/ubiboot/README

The Backup menu: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86957 can’t be used with ubiboot as I see it?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
/home/user/MyDocs/boot:
ubiboot.conf
ubiboot-02.menus.cpio (unpacked or *.tar?)
The unpacked config file and the cpio is what you want there.
The cpio is an archive format, just like tar is. It contains the part of the ubiboot FS that has the menus and the launching system.

/boot:
zImage_2.6.32.54-dfl61-20121301
(alternative kernel-plus 2.6.32.59 for Harmattan)
If you want to use the kernel-plus you also need to unpack the related modules to /lib/modules/2.6.32.54-dfl61-20121301
If you want to use the kernel-plus_NAT you also need to unpack the related modules to /lib/modules/2.6.32.59-plus_nat-20121301 directory.

Also, do not forget to edit the kernel locations and names in ubiboot.conf.

For example, if you have a kernel named "/boot/zImage_foobar" and you want to have a menu entry "My foobar kernel" as the first line in the ubiboot menu, you could put something like this in ubiboot.conf:
G_HARMATTAN_1_LABEL="My foobar kernel"
G_HARMATTAN_1_FILE="/boot/Harmattan/boot/zImage_foobar"

If you want it as the second entry, put the lines in G_HARMATTAN_2_LABEL and G_HARMATTAN_2_FILE and so on...

Now I have ubiboot in the bottom so to speak and on top Harmattan “default” open mode kernel.
Later I can add NITDroid, Nemo etc if I want to!

Two questions:
What about the slow boot issue mentioned in the README file 4.), is that a problem if I don’t use openmode+L2fix kernel? http://www.swagman.org/juice/ubiboot/README
You need to have the so called "l2fix" in the kernel to make it boot up faster.
There are lots of kernels that have this, for example the latest Nitdroid kernel from e-yes, and the harmattan-plus kernel from Hurrian have this.

The Backup menu: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86957 can’t be used with ubiboot as I see it?
Well it could easily be implemented. I made a test cpio for Farfry which has a menu entry for backup tools, but it needs some work before being useful. As I recall there were 2 requests by Farfry for features not implemented in ubiboot yet to make it possible to do it, bmestat and sshd. those are still under construction.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Hillerød, DK
The unpacked config file and the cpio is what you want there.
The cpio is an archive format, just like tar is. It contains the part of the ubiboot FS that has the menus and the launching system.
Thanks again for your detailed answer and help!

Yes know cpio is an archive, question is shall it stay as so or be extracted to .../MyDocs/boot/ ?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Thanks again for your detailed answer and help!

Yes know cpio is an archive, question is shall it stay as so or be extracted to .../MyDocs/boot/ ?
as it is.
it will be extracted to RAM rootFS when device boots.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
I just want to share a guide I revised/compiled for windows users. Hope It can help others. It is based from what I experienced.

http://www.ziddu.com/download/228114...uide.docx.html

Last edited by afropanda; 2013-08-29 at 07:28.

Originally Posted by afropanda View Post
I just want to share a guide I revised/compiled for windows users. Hope It can help others. It is based from what I experienced.

http://www.ziddu.com/download/228114...uide.docx.html
Could you please upload it to some place it's possile to access?

When I try following your link, it ends up to some download site which offers a windows execuatble to download.
Presumably this EXE then will download the actual document, but there are at least 2 problems with this:

1.) Will only work with Windows machines. Even as I don't have windows, I'd like to review the guide...
2.) Nobody wants to download some random EXE files, whoknows what malware they contain...

Could you please upload it to some place it's possile to access?

When I try following your link, it ends up to some download site which offers a windows execuatble to download.
Presumably this EXE then will download the actual document, but there are at least 2 problems with this:

1.) Will only work with Windows machines. Even as I don't have windows, I'd like to review the guide...
2.) Nobody wants to download some random EXE files, whoknows what malware they contain...
before clicking the download,just unclick the box saying Download with ziddu accelerator and get recommended offers.

feel free to review it coz Im sleepy when Im doing it haha

The Following User Says Thank You to afropanda For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by afropanda View Post
before clicking the download,just unclick the box saying Download with ziddu accelerator and get recommended offers.
feel free to review it coz Im sleepy when Im doing it haha
Thanks for the tip, and thanks also to peterleinchen who already sent me the file by mail

I looked over the document, and it seems to be pretty detailed.
Only small comments:

1.) in the chapter "7. Extract preinits.tar and the NITDroid files" you tell as the last thing to do is to turn off the device, to flash to open mode. I think most logical thing to do is to go to open mode before this, so put the chapter "Flash the Device with Open-Mode Kernel" before chapter 7.

2.) the last steps in the last chapter, where you copy the Noemo kernel from /boot/ of mmcblk0p4 to the /boot/ of mmcblk0p2 (to Harmattan root) is not necessary, as ubiboot can find the Nemo kernel from the Nemo partition (and with default setup it looks for it from there already...)

Thanks for the tip, and thanks also to peterleinchen who already sent me the file by mail

I looked over the document, and it seems to be pretty detailed.
Only small comments:

1.) in the chapter "7. Extract preinits.tar and the NITDroid files" you tell as the last thing to do is to turn off the device, to flash to open mode. I think most logical thing to do is to go to open mode before this, so put the chapter "Flash the Device with Open-Mode Kernel" before chapter 7.

2.) the last steps in the last chapter, where you copy the Noemo kernel from /boot/ of mmcblk0p4 to the /boot/ of mmcblk0p2 (to Harmattan root) is not necessary, as ubiboot can find the Nemo kernel from the Nemo partition (and with default setup it looks for it from there already...)
I see, Thanks. That are the things that are already existing in the guide That's the guide that mostly are in Linux and it just made my NEMO screen black lol coz there are drivers I think missing in Windows so I just added the things you taught me to make it work Well you can just revised it again and post it to help Windows Users,Thanks again

well kudos again to juiceme and topet2k12001

Last edited by afropanda; 2013-08-29 at 14:55.