Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Ahhhh... Sorry to hear that. It seems like a hack at best to spoof your device's identity and not terribly practical in the long run. I suppose waiting for official support is the best option.

I'm surprised that Netflix didn't target Dalvik as that would have given them the most compatibility and smallest amount of work/support. Perhaps they needed NEON or something...
You target Dalvik, and you open the possibility of having devices which have no right ($$ from OEM?) and even crapdroids to run the App. And not to mention the RIM Playbook and other devices which have Dalvik-ported to it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
You target Dalvik, and you open the possibility of having devices which have no right ($$ from OEM?) and even crapdroids to run the App. And not to mention the RIM Playbook and other devices which have Dalvik-ported to it.
What prevents ANY hardware with similar processors from running them regardless of OEM or store? What prevents an emulated CPU/architecture layer from running them? I'm not sure it'll PREVENT anything rights-wise if someone really wanted to run them. What it DOES do is prevent MOST people from running them for a while at the start.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Ok, so this isn't really android news.... yet...

Samsung and Nouvoyance have demonstrated a 300dpi 10.1" display for tablets!

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...wqxga-displays

That's WQXGA (2560x1600) if you were wonderfing

Press release:
Awesome job Samsung.
So we'll be waiting for your 7.0" and 8.9" and 10.0" devices with Super AMOLED screen Plus (sans PenTile) with capacitative multitouch, and active-digitizer (pen support) and a resolution of 1440 x 810!
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...67#post1003267

Or how about the same screen with a 800x600 resolution on a dual-4.9"-screen device like this concept:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...336#post987336

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Dan has it right. Trying to target hardware aspects of specific systems in an effort to prevent execution on non-sanctioned machines can't be terribly effective in that there are literally hundreds of systems and they are all remarkably similar. I'm guessing, that it would take a tremendous amount of work to use this to differentiate systems.

IMO, a far better scheme would be to impose artificial boundaries, for example a sophisticated system specific encrypted identity or simply exploiting a devices identity file -- ala the data in the prop file.

I suspect that this is an NDK application, and that they're using something like ARM NEON extensions for decoding of DRM and parsing of video which would be off limits to Dalvik. Still, if they are using the NDK, it would be much more difficult to support multiple systems as testing would have to be done on each individually -- which is likely why only a handful of system are officially 'supported'.

I would have tried to find a creative way to use Dalvik to lower the cost of support and testing substantially. For example, use fragment shaders to decode the DRM'd video quickly and efficiently in the GPU. I'm sure other solutions exist, but they would require a bit of creativity, which may be too much to ask.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Dan has it right. Trying to target hardware aspects of specific systems in an effort to prevent execution on non-sanctioned machines can't be terribly effective in that there are literally hundreds of systems and they are all remarkably similar. I'm guessing, that it would take a tremendous amount of work to use this to differentiate systems.

IMO, a far better scheme would be to impose artificial boundaries, for example a sophisticated system specific encrypted identity or simply exploiting a devices identity file -- ala the data in the prop file.

I suspect that this is an NDK application, and that they're using something like ARM NEON extensions for decoding of DRM and parsing of video which would be off limits to Dalvik. Still, if they are using the NDK, it would be much more difficult to support multiple systems as testing would have to be done on each individually -- which is likely why only a handful of system are officially 'supported'.

I would have tried to find a creative way to use Dalvik to lower the cost of support and testing substantially. For example, use fragment shaders to decode the DRM'd video quickly and efficiently in the GPU. I'm sure other solutions exist, but they would require a bit of creativity, which may be too much to ask.
Based on comments from Netflix (which effectively said they're TRYING to make it work on lots of handsets but it's Android's LACK of a DRM layer that makes their app simply not run/work on most devices), I get the sense that their app actually DOES work fun on every device but they they're PROGRAMMING the application not to run. On my Galaxy Tab, I get an error about having an unsupported device and it jumps back to the Android desktop. It didn't even get anywhere CLOSE to playing video. You clearly saw video showing that the HARDWARE will play Netflix video once you can get past the lock-out, however. I strongly suspect that the DALVIK video playing layer is able to play Netflix video just fine and that the problem exists within Netflix's own app in the form of exclusionary code, not NDK or any kind of proprietary hardware code.

As far as DRM goes... why is Netflix unable to deliver DRM'ed content but everyone from Samsung to HBO to Dish and even Google themselves able to do it on the Android platform? This further bolsters my suspicions and makes Netflix smell strongly of bull manure.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Based on comments from Netflix (which effectively said they're TRYING to make it work on lots of handsets but it's Android's LACK of a DRM layer that makes their app simply not run/work on most devices), I get the sense that their app actually DOES work fun on every device but they they're PROGRAMMING the application not to run. On my Galaxy Tab, I get an error about having an unsupported device and it jumps back to the Android desktop. It didn't even get anywhere CLOSE to playing video. You clearly saw video showing that the HARDWARE will play Netflix video once you can get past the lock-out, however. I strongly suspect that the DALVIK video playing layer is able to play Netflix video just fine and that the problem exists within Netflix's own app in the form of exclusionary code, not NDK or any kind of proprietary hardware code.

As far as DRM goes... why is Netflix unable to deliver DRM'ed content but everyone from Samsung to HBO to Dish and even Google themselves able to do it on the Android platform? This further bolsters my suspicions and makes Netflix smell strongly of bull manure.
This does sound fishy....

*capt'n reaches for tin-foil hat*

Do you think that they're trying to get money out of individual handset makers to support the software? What could be their motivation for programming the tech to work only on certain hardware? Could it have something to do with Sammy's new unlocked bootloaders?

I don't like this one bit..

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Here is the Galaxy Tab 10.1 working with the original Tab dock for HDMI:
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJAjNDuPf6k

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Here is the Galaxy Tab 10.1 working with the original Tab dock for HDMI:
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJAjNDuPf6k
That explains why the dock had a click-on base that holds the bottom of the Tab.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Vienna
[...]
GSM Arena does very thorough reviews, and the Galaxy S II gets top marks all around.

From the review:

This is the phone to beat this year. Period.
Is it true that Android does not have a screenshot possibility?:
"One of the most baffling options to be left out of Android is the ability to take screenshots."
[ http://www.retrevo.com/content/blog/...artphone-hacks ]

The Following User Says Thank You to ME2g For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
Originally Posted by ME2g View Post
Is it true that Android does not have a screenshot possibility?:
"One of the most baffling options to be left out of Android is the ability to take screenshots."
[ http://www.retrevo.com/content/blog/...artphone-hacks ]
the galaxy s2 has this option by pressing home and the power button

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atilla For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy