Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
When the Galaxy S II news comes, it really comes...

Here is the latest from the NYC Samsung/ATT Galaxy event:

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...on-angry-birds

It's quite a big post, so feel free to link to the page.. Or ignore this altogether

Key bits of data:
- The ATT version is known as the Infuse 4G
- It comes with Android 2.2 Froyo
- It hits in 10 days (May 15th, 2011)
- $199 on 2-year contract
- It's 8.99mm at its thinnest (thicker than the non-4G SII)
- it will come with a special edition of Angry Birds.

Instant pass. How a company can gimp something up so tragically by including the now incredibly old Froyo is beyond me.

You've been warned.
This isn't the AT&T version of the II S its ... well I don't know what the hell it is but its not what I want I know that. Samsung have another event scheduled for the 24th but its not being hosted by AT&T. Could be the II S announcement or something else. Either way - if the II S does not come out in the US in the next few months then I will just go with the sensation. AT&T have a long history of trying to hold manufacturers to ransom with stuff they want done to handsets and they could just screw this up enough that the II S will be old news by the time it comes out here.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany

It's quite a big post, so feel free to link to the page.. Or ignore this altogether

Key bits of data:

Instant pass. How a company can gimp something up so tragically by including the now incredibly old Froyo is beyond me.

You've been warned.
single core,froyo,1.2 mp front cam????
thats ****ed up

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atilla For This Useful Post:
Posts: 271 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Georgia
Here's a hands on video with the Galaxy Tab 8.9:
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qln6FslfM_8

Looking good! Nothing special, but certainly a nice form factor.

I'd be torn between the Transformer and this device. I prefer the form factor/weight/specs of the Tab 8.9, but the Transformer's keyboard-with-battery is a really compelling feature!
Am having the same problem....i was going to get the galaxy 10.1 but then I saw that the dock for the Eee pad is not just a dock!

I still dont know which road I will take.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crasbelize For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
You remember Meego? The OS that was hyped to be found in phones but also cars, remote controls, home appliances?
Reading the link above made me remind it dearly.
I also remember Meego, Mer, Maemo, etc. but I have tangibly seen and used Android on far more devices from far more manufacturers already. This might, in fact, make something of a difference. The cake is a lie.

• Report "destination not here" in Navigation (Beta)
I especially like the last one, which adds a 'crowd source' element to the mapping system.
I have been complaining over several Android feature comments and forums about needing this feature--BADLY! THANK YOU GOOGLE FOR LISTENING! ...unlike some companies I've had to deal with. Ahem.

Key bits of data:

You've been warned.
Agreed. Incredible. Just appalling. Considering we're already up to 2.4.4 on phones and even the CyanogenMod folks are up to 2.3.3 (the COMMUNITY-MADE Android... COME ON!).. you're going to bring out a product soon... SOON.. not even already-out... with 2.2?? OMG... I'm going to just... flip... out... GAAAAAAHH >sparks!< -flop-

It seems that 129 of the 132 patent violation disputes by Oracle against Google for Android infringement have been thrown out.

http://www.androidcentral.com/judge-...ucing-number-3

This leaves three to be decided upon. It seems that Android is not out of the woods just yet.

As the article states: Tim bray says it best.

I know nothing of the law.
Far more reasonable! Good on this judge for practicing fair and common sense in his court room. My impression is that it weighs things in favor of defense, where it rightfully should be. Mind you--the patents haven't been invalidated (a shame!) but at least the court case won't be this incredibly hefty, unreasonably drawn-out trial of hundreds of charges.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Far more reasonable! Good on this judge for practicing fair and common sense in his court room. My impression is that it weighs things in favor of defense, where it rightfully should be. Mind you--the patents haven't been invalidated (a shame!) but at least the court case won't be this incredibly hefty, unreasonably drawn-out trial of hundreds of charges.
I certainly hope that this turns out to be a fair trial and sets precedent against silly software patents.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Man becomes first to place a 3G call and 'tweet' from the summit of Mt. Everest, using the Galaxy SII. Samsung PR department smiles.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/05/man...mount-everest/
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8d7Rb7XKEk

Very good PR stunt, actually.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Yet another app sees a Honeycomb upgrade. Next up? Seesmic twitter client:

http://www.androidcentral.com/sneak-...twitter-client

It has a good showing of fragments in the UI. It would be nice if there was some smooth animation for the fragments (eg. sliding in/out).

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Man becomes first to place a 3G call and 'tweet' from the summit of Mt. Everest, using the Galaxy SII. Samsung PR department smiles.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/05/man...mount-everest/
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8d7Rb7XKEk

Very good PR stunt, actually.
Word is the S II wont be seeing our shores for a while. Speculation on several sites is that it will be released on several telcos with company specific branding etc.

So yeah thats kinda a bummer.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Following on from my attempt at humorous sarcasm which stemmed from the multitude of such comments on the Dell 5” Streak culminating with the WSJ/Mossberg condemnation of it being the worst product of 2010 principally on account of its screen size; this is a much more coherent elucidation on the 4.5” screen form factor and it is interesting (to me at least) seeing the term MID used again.

http://www.pocketables.net/2011/05/i...-mid.html#more

I have also seen reference to this larger screen form factor as being a tablet-phone, or phone-tablet I can’t remember exactly.

I guess that once we can find an acceptable pigeon hole for boundary blurring devices the uptake will become more widespread?

Or maybe it takes a culture shock to eventually make such devices acceptable, I seem to recall that even the iPhone was initially castigated by many.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
Following on from my attempt at humorous sarcasm which stemmed from the multitude of such comments on the Dell 5” Streak culminating with the WSJ/Mossberg condemnation of it being the worst product of 2010 principally on account of its screen size; this is a much more coherent elucidation on the 4.5” screen form factor and it is interesting (to me at least) seeing the term MID used again.

http://www.pocketables.net/2011/05/i...-mid.html#more

I have also seen reference to this larger screen form factor as being a tablet-phone, or phone-tablet I can’t remember exactly.

I guess that once we can find an acceptable pigeon hole for boundary blurring devices the uptake will become more widespread?

Or maybe it takes a culture shock to eventually make such devices acceptable, I seem to recall that even the iPhone was initially castigated by many.
It's funny, but I think that the streak requires a moniker sufficient to justify its size and usage. For example, call it a phone and people will balk at the enormity. Call it a tablet and people will argue it far to expensive for a device so tiny. Even that Tab 7 came under waves of scrutiny for being labeled a tablet. Now, this is despite the amusing fact that modern brandname smartphones tend to cost more than their tablet counterparts despite their much smaller proportions.

The name of a category of device seems to set a certain expectation, and once set, mysteriously pacifies the general consumer.

It is as if people have very little imagination, and can only really see what's laid out in front of them -- then they start babbling it verbatim like a flock of mindless parrots.

I suspect that the Streak would do far better if it adopted an appropriate label, and featured a short run down of things its well suited for to reinforce that label.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy