Posts: 34 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Bulgaria - Vidin
Good to see people interested.
If you want to tweak and experimentate with bootstrapping I recommend using the kernel and initfs (optional) from here http://lekernel.net/scrapbook/fbbmenu770.html it just has the framebuffer support and you can see everything in the cool linux style (with the penguin in the top left corner). Btw debootstrap didn't work for me (I could have done something wrong - can't remember) and I used a small debian archive for armel that appeared to work. I got it from debian.applieddata ....something. After some configuration it appeared to be an alternative os.
I have some ideas that I would be very happy to become true. I'd like to make enlightenment run and enhance the sound and video problems.
If someone has an idea why enlightenment segfaults it would be welcomed.

Hey,

So, debootstrapping results in a usable debian in the sense that you can telnet to it, apt stuff, etc. No X though. I tried Johnx's method of repacking Xomap with no success, i.e. X is up, xeyes work but no mouse, etc. I had to repack tlibs (equivs refused to cooperate here) and libaux0 and all the Xomap dependencies. At the moment I'm trying to get Xorg to work with no luck.

Any pointers would be very welcome at this point.

U

The Following User Says Thank You to ulises For This Useful Post:
I tried Xorg too and it didnt work (not discouraging you of course)
if you can start xeyes you are quite ready. I start it with this line
Xomap -mouse /dev/input/event2 -dpi 96 &
for the mouse to get available. If it doesn't, pick another device from /dev/input/
Have fun

The Following User Says Thank You to apple2 For This Useful Post:
ach!

I googled my tits off looking for doc on Xomap!!!

Cheers for the tip ...

Now, while we're at it. It's all nice and cool to have your own Debian running on the tablet but, I've seen distros that have a fully working env in < 50MB (DSL, puppy) shouldn't that be doable with Debian? On the same topic, shouldn't we be going for that?

Cheers for the help!

U

The Following User Says Thank You to ulises For This Useful Post:
I support the idea to remove the unnesessary staff but I just don't know every single package what is for and as well I think these distros are around 50mb deeply compressed I think (not sure) but it will be cool to make it smaller and maybe produce a fiasco image its just I dont have much time and when I get round to it i try to fix the critical issues

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
For information, a normal x86 debootstrap is ~100MB with all docs and stuffs. As the ARM opcodes are probably(?) smaller you should be able to go under 100MB for a minimal system.

Minimal means running, not more

Originally Posted by free View Post
Minimal means running, not more
Fair enough. That's a start. I imagine that replacing the usual utilities with busybox might reduce the size a bit further.

A 100M image + X + blackbox might be a good start I guess.

U

Originally Posted by ulises View Post
Now, while we're at it. It's all nice and cool to have your own Debian running on the tablet but, I've seen distros that have a fully working env in < 50MB (DSL, puppy) shouldn't that be doable with Debian? On the same topic, shouldn't we be going for that?
Not that we shouldn't, just playing el abogado del Diablo:

Why should we, since we're not trying to do any of:
a) burn it on a business-card CD-R
b) run it from a 64MB USB drive
c) install it on archaic hardware with less than 128 MB disk

As I understand it, debian is very modular, so even if you had a 120 MB image that you could flash an N800 with, you could promptly tear into it, removing all packages you don't need, and get to a clean, working, much smaller system in minutes. You could argue that it should come full, because removing packages is easier (does not require a network connection) than installing them.

My real opinion is that the image should have everything you need to get by comfortably until you find a network connection to install more stuff from. Not totally barebones, because there's no hard space requirement, but not bloated either...

I'm assuming that such an image can be gotten under 128 MB to reflash the system with debian (no MMC req'd) at some point. Though I'd rather not take advantage of such capability, at least not till I get a backup tablet...

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Not that we shouldn't, just playing el abogado del Diablo:
Hey, someone has to do it

b) run it from a 64MB USB drive
c) install it on archaic hardware with less than 128 MB disk
Are you calling my 770 archaic? Seriously, a 770 has serious memory limitations (unless you buy an extra card). I just recently bought a card and until then I was very frustrated because I couldn't get KDE, etc (penguitbait's ports) because of space. I'd like people with a 770 and no card not feeling that way. Plus, I have a 1G card. Say Debian+X+Desktop takes 700M, how much is there left for, say, a movie (in case I'm traveling and bored) or mp3s? Not much I say. Reducing the size of the OS is certainly good IMO.

As I understand it, debian is very modular, so even if you had a 120 MB image that you could flash an N800 with, you could promptly tear into it, removing all packages you don't need, and get to a clean, working, much smaller system in minutes. You could argue that it should come full, because removing packages is easier (does not require a network connection) than installing them.
The network availability point is good. Still, I'm talking about stuff that might be somewhat useless such as g++. And again, maybe not all people are knowledged enough to strip their OS to the bare minimum (I for one am not and I'm trying to learn and save the effort to others).

My real opinion is that the image should have everything you need to get by comfortably until you find a network connection to install more stuff from. Not totally barebones, because there's no hard space requirement, but not bloated either...
Okay, what would _everything you need_ be? Video editor? Audio editor? A couple of apps come to mind that almost everybody would benefit from such as pdf reader, media player, web browser and text editor.

I'm assuming that such an image can be gotten under 128 MB to reflash the system with debian (no MMC req'd) at some point. Though I'd rather not take advantage of such capability, at least not till I get a backup tablet...
Well, for now, even though I'm trying not to install useless stuff (why would x11-apps require me to install gcc I wonder?) I'm concentrating on coming up with a usable system.

Cheerio and keep the good comments coming!

U

Last edited by ulises; 2008-02-21 at 11:14.

Originally Posted by ulises View Post
Are you calling my 770 archaic?
No, it has 128 MB, doesn't it? I meant strictly less than, carefully excluding 770s, N800s, N810s, and presumably any successors. SO we don't need to fit in 50 MB.
Okay, what would _everything you need_ be? Video editor? Audio editor? A couple of apps come to mind that almost everybody would benefit from such as pdf reader, media player, web browser and text editor.
Yeah, I'm thinking something like the N800 comes with stock, only with less-pathetic pdf reader, media player, and email client. Video and audio editors (beyond sox) would be that bloat of which I spake. But (I think) just a kernel, an xterm, a vkbd, and apt-get wouldn't be a nice package.
Well, for now, even though I'm trying not to install useless stuff (why would x11-apps require me to install gcc I wonder?) I'm concentrating on coming up with a usable system.
Definitely!