Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
True, APN looks ok. Giganews looks very expensive. I'm not THAT addicted.

Originally Posted by revwillie View Post
My comcast has free usenet, up to 2GB a month.

I also use teranews which is OK. But I highly recommend Agent Premium Newsgroups: http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php

For 3 bucks a month, you can d/l 10 GB.
Weird, Comcast in my area discontinued newsgroups long ago.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
I have Verizon FIOS and they disconnected most newsgroups ~2 weeks ago... They did notify me by email few weeks before doing so...

I haven't gotten access to local ISP based Newsgroups since I was on Ireland-OnLine dialup in the early 1990's.

I've asks the "support tech" of all the Irish ISP's and non of them know what I was talking about....

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Some "support techs"! They could just pick up any guide to the Internet and it will mention newsgroups...

Interesting that someone mentioned Fios discontinuing newsgroups a few weeks ago. I wonder if this might be evidence of anticompetitive collusion, with coordinated phasing out of services so consumers have nowhere to turn.

In any case, I took the advice of one of the people in this thread and got newsgroups for a few dollars a month, like two or three. That satisfies me for now, though I expect future problems on this issue. As I read somewhere, the big ISPs are now considering monthly limits on how many gigs you can download -- and they want to limit users in a month to what in Japan is the limit for one day (I think it is several gigs).