Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Originally Posted by Boemien View Post
Hi all, thanks for your help! who knows a good link/website (which you trust) where I could buy N900 Batteries (good and/or cheap) to be delivered in Belgium...
Look for Polarcell they are in Germany so local area shipping even, don't they favor the Ardennes route?
But seriously I just bought one and while I once got a dud pair for a Mugen Double-cell pack this one I received last week is reading at 1647ma/h capacity after the second charge&drain cycle.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Have been using netsurf 3.8 for a while and finally able to read maemo leste news with N900. Was so annoying not to be able. Have tried install kali 1.1 on sdcard without success so far. Tried rawtherapee but could not figure it out and it froze my device. Should probably first learn with pc. Still to do is to get telegram working, a decent map and instagram access. That is my only social media where I only post myself and follow only one person, so not being really social there. At the moment maemo forum is the only social site I use. After I got my startmail working on the mail app I have become very satisfied with N900. First thought I would try to get youube stream work but then I would watch it too much so better stick on downloading what I really want to watch. Gonna probably tear down one of my N900 which does not have a working 3g and try the external antenna hack on that. To have a real antenna and big bulky battery mod would be visually appealing to me.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
Tried rawtherapee but could not figure it out and it froze my device.
Are you aware that there is a watchdog on the N900 that will reboot the device unless it gets an "I'm alive" signal from the OS in regular intervals (1 minute?)?
Running programs that create high CPU usage or load often prevent this signal from reaching the watchdog.

Running programs with high CPU demands on lower processing or I/O priorities alleviates this problem, although it doesn't solve it entirely:
Code:
nice -n 19 ionice -c 3 rawtherapee

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Good catch, indeed it is the watchdog that could cause some trouble.
@maemish, you could try disabling the dogs in R&D-mode and see if tht helps...
http://wiki.maemo.org/R%2526D_mode

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@sulu
But you are aware that we have a simple version of nice on N900:

Code:
~ $ nice --help
BusyBox v1.23.1 (Debian 1.23.1power2) multi-call binary.

Usage: nice [-n ADJUST] [PROG ARGS]

Change scheduling priority, run PROG

-n ADJUST	Adjust priority by ADJUST
So try only
nice -n 19 rawtherapee

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
@sulu
But you are aware that we have a simple version of nice on N900:
ionice is a seperate command, that manipulates I/O priority (should help if the watchdog bites due to CPU load), while nice manipulates processing priority (should help if it bites due to CPU usage).
I'm not sure, if ionice is available in Fremantle.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
It is.
And I remembered having used it in some startup scripts but had to change train and struggling with WiFiOnICE (due to N900 not popping up the login page )

So, then
ionice -c 3 nice -n 19 rawtherapee
or?
nice -n 19 ionice -c 3 rawtherapee

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
It's nice to see when people talk linux with each other. I do not travel abroad at all but this way I always get the experience of being in a foreign land and my mind get's satisfied. Don't really undedrstand what you are talking about but it doesn't matter and no need to explain cause things do not stick to my mind (at least on this subject). Gonna try this linux buongiorno and see if it helps. But first gonna try rawtherapee on a pc. It loads all the pictures there as default and I haven't made any swap mods so that may cause it too that the memory is fully in use. My plan is to get first the kali on sdcard to work as justmemory has described so it can be used as chrooted from fremantle without neede to boot into it, then to make partition for swap. Would like to start learning python with this N900 but not sure yet what would be best way. Gonna watch some courses online but what programs should I install on N900? For now only use of having jessie is netsurf. The maps could be another but juiceme have some working on fremantle and i think those mods could be enough for me. Thanks for these instructions.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
I'm interested to know which apps are usable and are in use with members. I'm new here so I haven't got a clue which apps have problems and can't be used because of this or that and which can with some unknown secret tweaks. So I hope if people list on this thread under different headers the apps in use and if they have been tweaked put a description of the tweak in () after the app. I will make another thread about asking usable and neccessary tweaks and patches but if there would be another member who knows how to make a list of them with links to download and instructions how to install or make to work I would really appreciate that. I use this as my main phone and have been spreading the word of N900 and trying to get my friends to use too so any help to make this magical device more usable would be great. I take is as a default that CSSU is installed but if not I would like to here benefits of not using.

My apps:

Browsers: Opera 12 testing, Fennec for email, not using micro-b as haven't been able to make it open pages or be as fast as opera.

Camera: BlessN900 (probably installed some driver for it to work)

Email: I use startmail and haven't yet found a good email app with imap support. Tried claws or something but was a buggy. Using email through Fennec browser.

RSS feed: Haven't found a working solution. Only some feeds gave a feed to a widget and could not open the plain text. Solution was when it starts to download the page instead of feed that I halt the downloading, change the address to http instead of https to get the page open. Too difficult and cybersecurityfeeds not working.

Mediaplayer: Default (is there any benefit of using other?)

Youtube: Cutetube2 testing. Can't open anything to stream and haven't learned how to able that but works through downloading to N900 first. A bit annoying.

Map: ??? Would like to have.

Internetradio: Soma. Are there other good ones?

Internet tv/podcasts: ??? Would be nice.

Whatsapp: No go. Haven't yet tried with easy debbie + netsurf browser.

Telegram: Used a while through Pidgin but was buggy and slowslowslow and other problems too. Tried through browser and I think I even managed to make it work and sent a message but browser did not remember the configure key and it takes 10 minutes to make a new key so a no go for now. Hope to find a solutions to telegeramweb. Maybe easy debbie + netsurf.

Instagram: Maybe could work through easy debbie + netsurf.

Multimedia messages: FMMS works.

Hotspot: MobileHotspot works with usb.

Kernel: PowerKernel with CSSU + overclocked to 900 with powerpatch installed.

Swap: Would like to learn to make the machine more usable by tweaking the swap but not sure how or which have real benefits. I do not like to have to shutdown the device to free memory.

Easy debbie: There are updated instructions of how to install latest debian with netsurf 3.8 but not yet tried it. Any other distros in use with members? An if why and what are benefits?
Hi all members , i used this app working in my N900 :
Sygic MM10 Mobile Maps
EspeakCaller
FM Radio
Maep
MBarcode
Recaller
Maemo Recorder
Faster Application Manager
FreeOffice
MeeCast only YR.NO working
Opera
Qt Mobile HotSpot
HomeScreen selector manager
Faster application manager
Flashlight
Camkeid
CleaN900
FeedCircuit
GTranslate not working
StockThis not working for me much intetessant
I wanted a app or widget for weather working 100% in N900.
Thank
my N900 is 21.2011.38.1 TMaemo12

Hi everyone members , i used this app working on my N900 :
Sygic MM10 Mobile Maps
EspeakCaller
FM Radio
Maep
MBarcode
Recaller
Maemo Recorder
Faster Application Manager
FreeOffice
MeeCast only YR.NO working
Opera
Qt Mobile HotSpot
HomeScreen selector manager
Faster application manager
Flashlight
Camkeid
CleaN900
FeedCircuit
Unzip
Unrar
GTranslate not working
StockThis not working for me much intetessant
I wanted a app or widget for weather working 100% on N900.
Thank
my N900 is 21.2011.38.1 TMaemo12

Last edited by claypikes; 2020-03-02 at 07:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to claypikes For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo 5, nokia n900