Notices

I have CLAWS newest version and for some reason it insists on wrapping every second line somewhere in the middle of the screen. I've tried to change the "Edit" setting from automatic wrapping to "wrap long lines" but the checkmark will not move from the "automatic wrapping" selection. Is this happening to anyone else? If it matters I'm using it with Gmail imap. Thanks for any help you can give me

I believe the middle-of-the-screen line wraps aren't automatic wraps, those newlines are part of the message you received. Try maximizing claws or changing the font size.

Background:
Plain text mails are usually line wrapped in column 72 when sending. On Maemo Claws default message view is less then 72 characters wide. Hence one incomming 72 character line is displayed on two lines. The second one ist not full because the original line ends here.

Where do I find the options "wrap long lines" and "automatic wrapping" you mention? Are they supposed to address your problem?

Thanks - It does this even when composing a brand new message. I tried maximizing it but that doesn't help. When the message is sent to and viewed in Gmail or other mail programs it is fine, it's only an issue when composing in CLAWS. The settings I mention are in the EDIT menu (at the bottom) when composing a message. They don't seem to do anything at all and as I said, I can't get the checkmark to move off the "automatic wrapping" selection anyway.

OK, I see. I can check and uncheck "automatic wrapping" but I'm not sure what exactly it means. The other wrapping options cannot be checked. (Probably they are not checkboxes, they just do something. I'm not sure what they do.) I can reproduce your problem when "automatic wrapping" is checked.

I still think the problem is that logical lines are 72-or-so characters long and displayed on two less-than-72-character-long physical lines.

Suggestion: Try unchecking "automatic wrapping", maybe close and reopen the compose window. If this doesn't helpt: Find out, what "automatic wrapping" and the other options are supposed to do. (Try claws on a desktop computer with different window sizes or RTFM.) Post your findings here or file a bug.

Claws Maemo UI is not intuitive but powerful.

The wrapping options are controlled from '/Configuration/Preferences/Compose/Wrapping'. Here you can turn on/off 'Auto wrapping', 'Wrap quotation', and 'Wrap pasted text', and also set 'Wrap messages at n characters'.

In the Compose window, '/Edit/Auto wrapping' is a checkbox, you turn it on or off here, overriding the default option set as detailed above. '/Edit/Wrap current paragraph' and '/Edit/Wrap all long lines' are not checkboxes, but perform the action when clicked. These are only useful if, in the Configuration page, you have not set 'Auto wrapping'.

Messages that you receive are shown as the sender sent them, but 'soft' linebreaks are added to lines wider than the screen so that you don't have to endlessly scroll to the right if, for example, the sender didn't wrap the lines at all.

Claws doesn't rewrite messages that you receive (as a policy) but shows you them as the sender intended.

HTH

Paul

The Following User Says Thank You to claws For This Useful Post:
Removing the auto wrapping did the trick. Thanks as this is an excellent program compared to the Nokia mail client