guys im new to linux. i tried following instructions on maemo.org for installing certain apps (PIM) and it says unable to refresh list each time.

How does one install apps on this ? and what are the standard files it accepts? is it a .gz?

also can someone help me where i can find a Adobe Flash Player to play videos...i have a.gz file downloaded on my device but cant install it.

Please help.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by athreya View Post
guys im new to linux. i tried following instructions on maemo.org for installing certain apps (PIM) and it says unable to refresh list each time.

How does one install apps on this ? and what are the standard files it accepts? is it a .gz?

also can someone help me where i can find a Adobe Flash Player to play videos...i have a.gz file downloaded on my device but cant install it.

Please help.
I have also problems installing GPE calendar and get the same error message when adding the repository. Could there be some problem with the repo?

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Why not use the .install files?

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/maemo/users/13924

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
Why not use the .install files?

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/maemo/users/13924
Thanks! Have to give it a try when I get home

thanks for the headsup...it still does NOT install calender though it does install todo and contacts.

is there any other way of cracking this?

I got the calendar to install fine. You have to add the repository links first though. Just click on the links below where the install files are and it will walk you through adding them.

I'm also new at this, having just driven an hour last night to get to the nearest CompUSA and then searching frantically around Boulder to find a decent Nintendo DS case to use. I'm very impressed with it out of the box though. All of this typed with the thumbpad.

can you post a link for the install files you used? the one i used from maemo doesnt work at all!thanks!

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ ATL USA
I have been trying for weeks to get the calendar application to install also had no luck...this is the error I get:

unable to install gpe-calendar
application packages missing
libgrcpt11
libgpg -error0 (>=1.0)
libgcript11
libgpg-error0 (>=1.0)
libgcrpt11
libgpg-error0 (>=1.0)

I know absoutly nothing about this OS system so consider me lost...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

I'm sympathetic with Ebunny; I can't figure out this installation process. I get the same error.

What does "You have to add the repository links first though" mean? Can someone explain it in english?

For example, when trying to install Canola they say to add basic Maemo respositories. When one clicks on the link, you get another set of links. When you click on that, then one is looking at some old golpher-like directory index. What do you do then?

I realize this is obvious to those who know but for us newbies it is very frustrating.

Thanks to anyone who is willing to help.

http://ossostage.cidercone.com/~ferenc/

Go there first. This is where you will find all of the files I used to successfully install GPE.

Now you need to click on the bottom two links from your tablet.

These are the repositories you need and your tablet will walk you through adding them once you click on those links.

Once that's done, start with the calendar .install file and go down, installing the programs you want.

This isn't tough to do if you understand the basics of a computer. Don't let the fact that it's linux make you think you need to know linux to use it. I've never used linux before I bought this tablet less than a week ago and have found the experience so far to be pretty straight forward. Most people actually have some form of linux on their cell phones and have managed. This doesn't have to be much more complicated than that if you don't want to get that far into it.

Last edited by Salidwyn; 2007-02-22 at 02:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to Salidwyn For This Useful Post: