I'm pulling my hair out over this... I'm trying to upgrade to the new firmware. I have the USB cable plugged in, and I hold the home key and turn it on, but I never get the USB icon. It sits at the debug info until I release the home key. Anyone have any ideas? I've tried this on 2 pcs with and without a memory card in... I did do a swap but it shouldn't matter should it without the memory card in? Thanks!

Are you in rd-mode? That was my issue...flash it out of r&d mode then try it again.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mine was in R&D mode - - it was a pain in the *** but it finally went into host mode. Most of this is sheer voodoo but here's what I recommend:

(assuming you're using the Windows updater)

Reboot your PC (Isn't Windows grand?)

Get into the update program and keep hitting next until you can choose your image and it says USB device not detected.

Turn the 770 off, remove the RSMMC card & close the cover.

Hold down home *firmly*

Turn it on. If it doesn't display the USB logo in the upper right corner
in about 5 seconds, it didn't take. I had to try this about 5-6 times before it finally appeared. I tried getting it out of R&D mode in VMPlayer (Ubuntu) and there were some problems between the VMWare USB connection and the windows updater. .

Hope the powers of chaos in the universe smile on you...

The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgecore For This Useful Post:
Yes, I'm in R&D mode, are you not supposed to be able to flash it while in that mode?

What is the standard way for removing it form R&D mode?

I will try your suggestions for windows, although I also have linux at my disposal.

Originally Posted by Crisis
Yes, I'm in R&D mode, are you not supposed to be able to flash it while in that mode?

What is the standard way for removing it form R&D mode?

I will try your suggestions for windows, although I also have linux at my disposal.
It's a lot like going into RD mode, only you say disable instead of enable.

I had a little bit of trouble, but I think it can be attributed to the PC partially recognizing the device somehow, throwing off the upgrade mode. Try just making sure the device is switched off and unplugged from the PC each time you try it ... if it boots up all the way (fails to go into upgrade mode) you won't get it to work until you unplug it from the USB, switch it off, and then plug it back in before trying again. (At least, that seemed to work for me.)

P.S. Oh, and I successfully updated in R&D mode. It was still in R&D mode after the update.

Still couldnt get it to work at all on the 2 pcs, so tried it in a third box (linux) for the hell of it, and it worked. Very odd since Ive never had problems before on the other machines USB for file transfers etc. Oh well.

Hi, i've the same problem here. i can't get the update, cause the pc ( 2 pcs ) would not get connected to the 770. i can see the memory card, but the update program, never detect yhe n770.

What is RD mode ?

Originally Posted by gtsmith
Are you in rd-mode? That was my issue...flash it out of r&d mode then try it again.
I have the same problem, when i try to update my N770. But i dont know, what R&D-Mode is, an how i can switch R&D-Mode on or off.

Can anybody help an explain?

Thanks
bsterix

R&D mode gives greater access to the device. Among other things, it allows one to gain full root access in Xterm on the 770 by typing "sudo gainroot" in that mode. Thus, many people have been switching their devices into R&D mode, modifying the gainroot script so you no longer need R&D mode to become root and then turning R&D mode back off.

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowDoiBecomeRoot

You'd know if you were in R&D mode because you would have had to download and run the Flasher program for Linux in order to enable that mode. You can easily see if a device is in R&D mode - there is an extra icon under the Nokia logo when booting and it shows a lot of info on that screen that isn't normally there, like kernel version etc.