Posts: 14 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Toronto
Ok before calling me an idiot you should know that im a complete noob with pdas, linux, etc .. I'm going to order a 770 soon and it's going to be my first pda-like gadget and the last time i bought a cellphone was 3 years ago~

I have no idea what you guys are talking about by "flashing" the memory, swap space (although i got some of this), etc...

But what my question is can the Nokia 770 connect to other devices via usb? if yes then can't this be used as a make shift hdd for it? oh and lastly if it actually is possible for the 770 to connect to another device with a large hdd (im thinking an mp3 player most likely) via usb OR bluetooth can the 770 access files off the mp3 player without actually having to copy them to its internal hdd (like you can do with a computer)?

Thanks in advance~

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yes, it's possible and I've done it. But it's not easy.

Basically the USB port on the 770 doesn't have 5v running through it like the one on your PC does. You need to build ($20 or less) a USB power injector (search for 'USB power', thoughtfix has an informative thread on this).

I was able to mount my 40GB mp3 player. Note though, the 7805 voltage regulator uses up power even if off, so make sure you put a switch somewhere on there to turn it off when not in use.

Originally Posted by Hedgecore View Post
....But it's not easy. ....

....I was able to mount my 40GB mp3 player. Note though, the 7805 voltage regulator uses up power even if off, so make sure you put a switch somewhere on there to turn it off when not in use.

So is there any possibility of me screwing the 770 up? and will it void the warranty?

I gave up on usb and now use this beast http://safecom.cn/code/sub/category....11&subcatid=39
to stream my music colection. It works great but is not to portable.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You'll need to use the linux flasher to enable USB host mode... otherwise it's perfectly safe so long as you don't screw up making the USB power injector (which is pretty simple). Just make sure you use a multimeter and make sure there's 5v going into the line. If you're not going above that there's little chance of messing anything up.

As always, do at your own risk (I've never heard of anyone bricking their device because of trying this... and trust me, they'd be here complaining if they did)

Take some time and sift throught last year's threads on USB-host. This has not changed since the early days, and all the answers are there. The very simplest way I know of (and use) is to find a "Y-shaped" USB cable, the sort you use to bring the juice from two host ports to a single device. The trick is to use the "device" plug in the "host" port of the Nokia.
On the "juice-only" port connect a 4xAA or 4xAAA battery pack with a USB plug ; on the third one connect your keyboard, mp3, or USB hub and you're set.
Oh yes, and USB genders and formats are hell :-)

Slight correction to an above post: Some people experienced WSOD's while attempting to flash the 770 into USB host mode (been there, done that ). Otherwise, should be easy.

Anyone knows of any other wireless storage access points? I'd love to find one, but I can't... lol.

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
This is also a Wireless Storge Accespoint.

http://www.polywell.com/us/storage/netdisk_wl.asp

is it possible to use a pc/laptop as a wireless storage center via wifi or bluetooth?

Yes you can. Please consult "How to" section of Maemo wiki for details.