Originally Posted by Flynx View Post
I was holding off getting a Cosmo until cellular support in linux was a thing. It was added in July so I placed an order for an in-stock unit and received it in just a few days (drop-shipped from HK).

Phone calls and SMS messaging seem to work OK. Working on testing mobile data now.

So far I am cautiously optimistic. Adam Z. Lein posted a review where he recommeded using mtrack to make the touchscreen function like a touchpad which makes the full desktop experience very usable. link

My biggest concern right now is the success rate I've had just installing and running software in linux. Kodi, cairo-dock, firefox, octave all installed & ran fine. Libre-office was also successful, tho I had to hold the SMS messaging package or apt would try to remove it. VLC, blender, stellarium all failed to run with various OpenGL errors or outright seg faults.

I don't prefer KDE so installed the MATE desktop and that worked fine. When I tried to change the display manger the system failed to boot, so I need to reinstall again. There is a problem where the screen occasionally freezes. Sometimes the mouse will still move when this happens, but so far I haven't found a recovery option from this frozen state outside from holding the power button for 10 seconds and rebooting. There are no F-keys so changing TTY isn't an option. Next time I'll setup an ssh server so I can try that.
Thanks again.
Which Linux (distro) are we talking about here?
Did you install it yourself?

The Following User Says Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
Thanks again.
Which Linux (distro) are we talking about here?
Did you install it yourself?
I'm using the planet computers debian-based "gemian" distro because it has all the cellular packages preinstalled. The device comes with android, and planet has instructions at their site about how to download and install gemian, it was extremely easy.

As for loading other distros, i opened the flashing scripts and all it does is use dd to flash the main filesystem partition and boot partition from the sd card to the device internal storage.

Now that ive got lightdm and mate configured the way I like i'm going to backup this filesystem so I can reflash back to this.

I can try other distros if you can point me to the images. I tried flashing maemo leste but not sure what to use for the boot partition.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flynx For This Useful Post:
It's Dave, man. Open up.

Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Dave is gone...long gone...
Dave ain't here man..
No. I'm Dave, man!

The Following User Says Thank You to bradvesp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Dave is gone...long gone...
Dave ain't here man..
The real, one and only Dave999 returned a while ago, but focused on a single thread, until he had his core issue with Jolla ultimately settled: He received the full refund for his Jolla tablet order!

Jolla really seems to be in a better shape, financially.
But unfortunately this has not bettered their software quality (yet?).

Last edited by olf; 2021-09-12 at 17:12.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
I picked up a Gemini and a Cosmo second hand because I was really fascinated by the lineage of the Psion 5 to these devices. I haven't put Linux on the Gemini yet, but I got it on the Cosmo and while running from the internal eMMC I was seeing some issues where the KDE screensaver/unlock seemed to hang, once I got rid of KDE and switched to i3 I haven't had that issue with i3lock.

I also installed UBports which turned out to be WAY easier than I expected, and it works pretty well though the touch first interface isn't optimal on the keyboard first Cosmo.

After I got i3 going I decided I wanted to see about Gemian from SD, and it took a little bit, but I was able to get it working, though I used the TWRP slot so I don't think I'll be able to get cellular working in the SD installation, see below for details.

One thing that sort of sucks is there are 4 slots on the eMMC for bootloaders and the first seems to be Android+Recovery, the second is pre-labeled TWRP by the Cosmo Linux installer, the 3rd and 4th are regular BOOT partitions. I currently have Android, Gemian_SD, KDE_Gemian, UBports in the slots, but UBports is interesting in that it shares the "userdata" with Gemian, and the rootfs lives in the root of the Gemian install and is pointed to by its bootloader.

When it comes to the cellular communications, with the Cosmo Linux you have to use an alternate connection manager because NetworkManager apparently doesn't do the ofono setup properly, but I haven't really had much luck with the cellular in Linux.

So far I've been pretty happy with the wifi only functionality of the SD install, and I'm hoping to use that as sort of a playground to avoid wearing out the eMMC while experimenting, and then I am going to try and backup my configuration changes and migrate them to one of the "regular" boot slots and test it out with cellular (also need to swap my Fi data only SIM to a voice+sms+data one to properly test the full functionality).

One other thing to note is the CoDi software which allows you to use the outer touchscreen as a touchpad is interesting, but definitely could use more tuning because it seems to be fairly slow, not sure if it is the "bus" between the display (has its own STM32 CPU iirc) and the primary CPU/system, or if it is just the CoDi server that is written in Python that is slowing things down a bit, but it is a really cool option even if a bit awkward in my aging mitts.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dragon_788 For This Useful Post:

Tags
communicator, gemini