Notices

Poll: Do you want this script in the repository?
Poll Options
Do you want this script in the repository?

Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
The Pulseaudio configuration files provided in the package are completely obscure to me, but doing a few quick tests, it configures Pulse's EQ for each output sink to be similar to those on Beats Audio devices (HTC phones).

The Beats sound is characterized by how fat the bass range sounds, which for phone speakers seems to improve the audio output (as it compensates for tiny speakers having nil bass).

However, testing the Beats Audio settings on my N900 wired up to a Schiit Magni and Grado SR125i, it's immediately obvious that if you're not a basshead/avid fan of Skrillex, you'll dislike how skewed the reproduction is.

Thank you for this test. May I use your image in the 1st post?

Also, can you generate a graphic with the freq response of the N900 jack output compared with the graphic you posted?

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
You can make your own graphs here.

The N900's jack doesn't have a frequency response measurement, it's not a transducer.

I think that instead, a better measurement would be to measure its' effect on the frequency response of a "reference" headphone.

(Anyone willing to go to Headroom to compare their N900, with and without the Beats tweak, to a neutral-sounding DAC+amp both hooked up to say, a Sony MDR-V6?)

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
You can make your own graphs here.

The N900's jack doesn't have a frequency response measurement, it's not a transducer.

I think that instead, a better measurement would be to measure its' effect on the frequency response of a "reference" headphone.

(Anyone willing to go to Headroom to compare their N900, with and without the Beats tweak, to a neutral-sounding DAC+amp both hooked up to say, a Sony MDR-V6?)
I was thinking about hooking up the N900 to an audio analyzer software via Line in, play a track with freq's between 1 and 35.000 Hz, and generate a graphic with the frequency output levels and noise level for each section.

I got this error when install the .deb file .
Code:
/home/user/MyDocs/BeatsAudio # dpkg -i beats-driver_0.0.1_armel.deb
(Reading database ... 41629 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking beats-driver (from beats-driver_0.0.1_armel.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing beats-driver_0.0.1_armel.deb (--install):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/share/icons/hicolor/18x18/hildon/statusarea_volume_headset_mic.png', which is also in package osso-icons-default
Errors were encountered while processing:
 beats-driver_0.0.1_armel.deb
/home/user/MyDocs/BeatsAudio #

Last edited by phapsubongtoi; 2013-05-14 at 14:46.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Italy
root
dpkg -i --force-overwrite beats-driver_0.0.1_armel.deb
MicroB-tweak.deb - HERE
Beats-driver-pulseaudio-N900.deb - HERE
[N900 swipe] qtedger-swipe-maemo5_0.0.1_armel.deb - HERE

The Following User Says Thank You to adunanzav3x For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
To be honnest, this is one of the greatest idea available on the Nokia N900. I don't know if it's possible but someone could work on a script to allow skiping tracks by holding volume button when the slide is closed (I don't know if this Idea has been proposed yet, but it would be very useful).
ANYWAY THANKS A LOT FOR THIS SCRIPT.

Originally Posted by Boemien View Post
To be honnest, this is one of the greatest idea available on the Nokia N900. I don't know if it's possible but someone could work on a script to allow skiping tracks by holding volume button when the slide is closed (I don't know if this Idea has been proposed yet, but it would be very useful).
Trust me, this is not a good ideea, the N900 have a lots of volume steps, and it's much easy to go from low volume to high by holding that button, and not going step by step. Also the shake for next previous is another system that can cause problems in the pocket.

I don't know. For me it seems like a bad idea.

Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Originally Posted by TheoX View Post
Trust me, this is not a good ideea, the N900 have a lots of volume steps, and it's much easy to go from low volume to high by holding that button, and not going step by step. Also the shake for next previous is another system that can cause problems in the pocket.

I don't know. For me it seems like a bad idea.
yay! Okay thanks for your point of view. I Switched from Android to the N900, and this feature is available in Android, (in modded rom) and is very useful, cause you don't have to unlock the phone (it stays just in your pocket) to skip music tracks. I thought it would be useful for the n900 as well! But thanks for you answer.

yay! Okay thanks for your point of view. I Switched from Android to the N900, and this feature is available in Android, (in modded rom) and is very useful, cause you don't have to unlock the phone (it stays just in your pocket) to skip music tracks. I thought it would be useful for the n900 as well! But thanks for you answer.
Right now I can finally give a final grade to this mod, as a developer, because I own a mobile device with Beats Audio Hardware Amplifier:

-Beats Audio for Android: It's most of the times just a themed version of DSP Manager from Cyanogen since the hardware is not capable of supporting the driver ported from HTC Devices running Android. Sound quality is quite good on android with DSP Manager, but it's not Beats, so on higher bass boost you get lots of distortions. The DSP Manager lacks a limiter, so damage can be done to your speakers.

-Beats Audio for N900: It modifies the internal pulse audio configuration to match 80% the frequency output of a beats audio driver, but pulse audio lacks fine tuning, so you may get distortions on low end headphones/headsets. Not like Android, I added a hardware limiter for the speakers so you can't overload them and burn them (since they are very sensible). So in my opinion Beats Audio development on N900 is much more advanced than Android. But as I said, you might still get distortions.

What is Beats Audio hardware. Now that own a device with Beats Audio Hardware i can finally understand why you can't match exactly the same output and sound quality. As your TV, DVD have a SRS digital audio processor inside, exactly like this is the Beats working. The Beats is not a software (or maybe you have just a gui), it's a hardware chip just like the SRS. When trying to add all the processing power in one software you will get awful performance (SRS software on my 2.0 Core2Duo, keeps the CPU up to 50% while in use of the audio sink). So this is the most we can do, more fine tuning than this is no more possible.

P.S. Beats audio (the original devices with hardware built-in) doesn't work on internal speaker or via AD2P, so the development on N900 is still in front!

As for those functions, I think the one who is going to develop them must have access to the following function: THE KEYS MUST WORK AS MEDIA CHANGE ONLY WHEN SCREEN OFF, otherwise they must work as a volume rocker.

Here are some screenshots:

Name:  wp_ss_20130625_0001.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  24.2 KB

Name:  wp_ss_20130625_0002.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  26.4 KB

P.S.S. Even on Windows Phone, the volume rocker don't work as a media next or media previous. That function is only on some custom ROM's and some Sony-Ericsson Devices (my K850i does that).

Last edited by TheoX; 2013-06-25 at 15:02.

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
See this: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...69&postcount=7

Vi_ provided a solution to enable cam focus button while locked and use shortcutd for further personalisation
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:

Tags
audio, beats, driver, music, pulseaudio