Notices

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by itkach
Rebooting didn't help. Turning swap off didn't help. Rebooting after turning off swap didn't help. It doesn't even get to the point of printing out something meaningful like in the other thread. All I get is
Code:
/ $ mplayer
Segmentation fault
I have no idea what could have happened. Do the other applications work normally? Is there a possibility that you may have crippled the system in one way or another ('apt-get upgrade' is dangerous according to some reports)?

In order to find why it crashes in your system, it is possible to build a debug version of mplayer and try to get a core dump for it.

guys - have been tying to install mplayer for 2 days but the application manager tells me its broken. This is the extract from the log - help!!!! oh - I also get something similar when installing xterm.....

osso-application-installer 4.22, UI version 1
W: GPG error: http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com mistral Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG CBFC2BECC6903E72 Nokia Internet Tablet Archive Automatic Signing Key <integration@maemo.org>
W: GPG error: http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com mistral Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG CBFC2BECC6903E72 Nokia Internet Tablet Archive Automatic Signing Key <integration@maemo.org>
W: GPG error: http://maemo-hackers.org mistral Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 3A312B21B9E81572
-----
Installing mplayer 1.0pre8-maemo.4
apt-worker: not configuring unrelated package libncurses5
apt-worker: not configuring unrelated package libvte-common
apt-worker: not configuring unrelated package libvte4
apt-worker: not configuring unrelated package osso-xterm
/bin/sh: /usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure: not found
Selecting previously deselected package mplayer.
(Reading database ... 12203 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking mplayer (from .../mplayer_1.0pre8-maemo.4_armel.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mplayer:
mplayer depends on libncurses5 (>= 5.4-1); however:
Package libncurses5 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing mplayer (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
mplayer
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Originally Posted by Serge
Please check exact version number of your OS to be sure (go to launch menu, select "tools" -> "control panel" -> "device" -> "about product"). For IT OS 2006 it should be '1.2006.26-8'. From a package reference list seems like libncurses should be preinstalled. Unless you managed to uninstall it or cripple in some other way, it should be available
Well, I went to nokia's site and ran their upgrade wizard, it now says version 1.2006.26-8 - and Mplayer still won't install...

UPDATE: I now updated again, this time by downloading the .bin file myself - again no progress... ;-((

Any ideas?

thanks!

Last edited by TB303; 2006-09-10 at 12:22.

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Jersey, USA
I have no idea what could have happened. Do the other applications work normally? Is there a possibility that you may have crippled the system in one way or another ('apt-get upgrade' is dangerous according to some reports)?

In order to find why it crashes in your system, it is possible to build a debug version of mplayer and try to get a core dump for it.
Few other applications I have installed work quite well. I have standard 2006 OS (version 1.2006.26-8) and just few apps like FBReader, X Terminal and Python runtime. Nothing unusual. Maybe I'll re-flash the OS when I have some time to see if it makes any difference for the mplayer.

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Jersey, USA
Hmm... Checking for updates in Application Manager showed me there's an update for mplayer. After updating mplayer it works. Was earlier package corrupted? Before I tried to install mplayer both through Application Manager and direclty from downloaded .deb - both installed succesfully and both yielded "Segmentation Fault". Now it works.

Originally Posted by dattani98
guys - have been tying to install mplayer for 2 days but the application manager tells me its broken. This is the extract from the log - help!!!! oh - I also get something similar when installing xterm.....

Installing mplayer 1.0pre8-maemo.4
apt-worker: not configuring unrelated package libncurses5
apt-worker: not configuring unrelated package libvte-common
apt-worker: not configuring unrelated package libvte4
apt-worker: not configuring unrelated package osso-xterm
/bin/sh: /usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure: not found
Selecting previously deselected package mplayer.
(Reading database ... 12203 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking mplayer (from .../mplayer_1.0pre8-maemo.4_armel.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mplayer:
mplayer depends on libncurses5 (>= 5.4-1); however:
Package libncurses5 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing mplayer (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
mplayer
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
It seems that you have some packages unconfigured on your device.
Could you show me the output of this command: 'dpkg --configure -a" please?
You should run it from root account.

You also can try to run 'apt-get update && apt-get -f install', but it can remove some packages, so please be careful and read apt messages properly.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
It is unlikely for mplayer to support real files on Nokia 770. On PC mplayer is able to use closed source binary codec which is compiled for x86, it just will not work on arm.

I guess, information in .deb file description is somewhat misleading, does not quite apply to maemo port and should be edited (at least parts about win32 dll's and 3dfx).

Also unfortunately MPlayer on Nokia 770 has problems with AAC and AC3 audio (they are either buggy or unusable because of floating point math being too slow). We need to either find and use integer only decoders for them or use DSP based gstreamer decoder for AAC.
OK Serge, thanks for your answer; at least I have no doubt now about keeping working on it or not. Think I'll have to convert all the files to avi as I've done with South park quite a boring process but I wont't need to power up the laptop to see the episodes

Originally Posted by faber
Mplayer doesn't support WMV9, it can play up to v8.
Sorry, but the same movie plays like a charme on my ubuntu.

Maybe you mean "Mplayer on nokia 770 doesn't support WMV9" ?

The command was:
mplayer 'mms://media.fastweb.it/WM9/raiclick/FMVRAI04000001062556.wmv?idCnt=35094&path=RaiClick Web^Home^Fiction^Poliziesco^IL+COMMIS SARIO+MONTALBANO#1'

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by elpaso
Sorry, but the same movie plays like a charme on my ubuntu.

Maybe you mean "Mplayer on nokia 770 doesn't support WMV9" ?
Any Mplayer up to version 1.0pre8 and including it does not natively support WMV9. It means that your ubuntu uses m$ binary codec for playing it. As these binary codecs only work on x86 platform, they can't be used on Nokia 770. Native WMV9 support was recently added in the latest development snapshots of Mplayer and you can have native WMV9 support if you take its sources from SVN (upstream MPlayer SVN, not maemo port). So the next MPlayer release is likely to have proper WMV9 support and it may be possible to use it on Nokia 770. I hope that explains everything.

If you really want WMV9 support right now, there are two options:
1. you can try to get the latest MPlayer SVN snapshot, apply maemo patches to it (available for download on garage mplayer page) and hope that it will compile and work
2. you can try to backport WMV9 changes to MPlayer 1.0pre8, provide a patch against maemo mplayer SVN and submit it to us

Originally Posted by TB303
Well, I went to nokia's site and ran their upgrade wizard, it now says version 1.2006.26-8 - and Mplayer still won't install...

UPDATE: I now updated again, this time by downloading the .bin file myself - again no progress... ;-((

Any ideas?

thanks!
Any ideas?

I tried to install the latest OS again, yet still Mplayer gives me the same error message. Is there a way to do a complete format of the 770? Maybe try and install an OLDER version of Mplayer? If so where can I find one? thanks!!