I'm going to wish this endeavour a long and successful life of relative continuity!

Two other wishes: that they don't outsource the manufacturing of the designed devices to sweatshops in some distant dictatorship, and that they carefully choose hardware with open enough specifications so that the devices can be fully supported come hell or high water...

Last edited by Peet; 2012-07-07 at 20:45. Reason: speeling

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
I am excited and hope that this goes somewhere. However, it is not easy to succeed in this industry, at least if you wanna be a little it more than a niche player within a small niche (i.e. meego geek smartphone for FOSS enthusiasts or similar).

So one (of many) factors to succeed will be capability and connection of top management. Does anyone have background info about these guys?

Dr. Antti Saarnio – Chairman & Finance
Mr. Jussi Hurmola – CEO
Mr. Sami Pienimäki – VP, Sales & Business Development
Mr. Stefano Mosconi – CIO
Mr. Marc Dillon – COO

If so, please post, I'd really appreciate to get more info!

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by cBeam View Post
So one (of many) factors to succeed will be capability and connection of top management. Does anyone have background info about these guys?

Mr. Jussi Hurmola – CEO
Mr. Marc Dillon – COO
Go look them up on LinkedIn.. if it works, that is

Originally Posted by Peet View Post
I'm going to wish this endeavour a long and successful life of relative continuity!

Two other wishes: that they don't outsource the manufacturing of the designed devices to sweatshops in some distant dictatorship, and that the carefully choose hardware with open enough specifications so that the devices can be fully supported come hell or high water...
I don't think that the second wish is possible. Last mobile company that had real Western plants was Nokia, not anymore.

To even dream about having manufacturing somewhere here in Europe would need huge scale, or really small amount phones. Components after all are not made anywhere near Europe or North America.

Originally Posted by dietyyli View Post
Great.

But the hardware has to be atleast as good as N9 IMHO.
Will be really interesting to see that hardware. There are small firms who have made some very nice hardware (like the Finnish AAVA mobile mentioned here before), but moving that to any kind of scale and selling the product in some kind of acceptable level (below 1000 euros) is the part where these companies usually seem to fail.

I would imagine these people working on Nokia before would know what to expect and have idea how it all works. Time will tell.

Damn i hope it works for them. Having this kind of firm making lust worthy hardware with open source OS with great UI is my dream.

Last edited by tissot; 2012-07-07 at 20:55.

If they manage to actually release a phone, it most likely will be very close to a reference design compatible with the MeeGo stack.
Something similar to the Orange San Diego perhaps. That is based on Intel reference design with Atom soc and manufactured by a Taiwanese ODM (Gigabyte).
I think that would be the only way to release a device within a year, and they would still have a lot of work to do (UI, applications, third party software support etc. etc).
Currently the MeeGo devices released (actual MeeGo, not Harmattan): WeTab and some netbooks really have terrible software, buggy and unfinished. Hope they can get the software right with a phone.
Otherwise I will just have to wait a year or two for Ubuntu to release a phone and use the N9 untill then

Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
Immense news.

I hope, somehow, this really takes off and Nokia sees the mistakes they've made.

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
I don't think that the second wish is possible. Last mobile company that had real Western plants was Nokia, not anymore.

To even dream about having manufacturing somewhere here in Europe would need huge scale, or really small amount phones. Components after all are not made anywhere near Europe or North America.
Well there are still manufacturing facilities outside Europe in free countries, and with the cost of manufacturing rising in a certain large east Asian empire why wouldn't modern largely automated manufacturing be financially feasible in various locations.

But I know what you mean and that's why it was merely a wish...

I do know, however, that before Nokia abandoned its soul for Elop's microsoftian self-immolation plan, part of the reason they were so popular around the world was the simple fact that they were from a respected neutral part of the world and that they used to put the customer first.

Jolla might be able to inherit some of that goodwill and build upon it.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Go look them up on LinkedIn.. if it works, that is
Duh, looking them up on linkedin was the first thing I did. I keep my thoughts to myself after I read their profiles.

So again, does anyone have any background info about these guys? What makes them stand out? Are these the kind of executives that can pull it off in the mobile computer business? Did anyone work with them and has an opinion about them?

I am excited and hope that this goes somewhere. However, it is not easy to succeed in this industry, at least if you wanna be a little it more than a niche player within a small niche (i.e. meego geek smartphone for FOSS enthusiasts or similar).
Why not? Apple found equally opposite niche, and please it to no end. I don't see any reason, why company targeting *our* niche - and also pleasing us to no end couldn't succeed. You fail, if You try to make f***in device "for everyone".

Mr. Jussi Hurmola – CEO
Mr. Marc Dillon – COO

If so, please post, I'd really appreciate to get more info!
I'm absolutely glad about lack of "connection to management" of those guys. We already had one certain american with great connections to management, who turned out to be totally floping failman.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

I think this project is what was Meltemi , what was supposed to Meltemi was going to be ? MeeGo, but modified . they say ( jolla ) going to get a mobile phone this year, and if we're going to times this is impossible. even when they were developed meltemi based on meego how long it take to achieve that ? I firmly believe that is Meltemi I do not think that this project has copyright

sorry for my English is just a translation from Spanish to English

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla