Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
Hello,

as you may know, it is possible to code a functionality similar to multitouch on a resistive screen.

I will be soon looking for a topic for a small project, so I was wondering, if you think that there is really some use for zoom in/out and rotate gesture that use two fingers? It would work similarly as on iPhone (only one finger needs to stay in place and only would move).

Would you use it on N900? Do you think it is worth spending some time on it (besides obvious fun of doing it )?

Thanks for your opinions.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by hopbeat View Post
as you may know, it is possible to code a functionality similar to multitouch on a resistive screen.
[source-needed]
Seriously, any url about it would be an interesting read.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by arachnist View Post
[source-needed]
Seriously, any url about it would be an interesting read.
install liqbase... (the old one)

I am thinking that it would be mostly useful for marketing/fanboy argumentation. Much like the whole "resistive screen, what is this, 1999?" thing.

However, I don't think the zoom circle solution on the N900 is optimal because it drags the page around at first. A pinch or dedicated space like on the HTCs is more accurate. I am sure that some people will like an alternative to the zoom circle. So a good solution on this may just become popular.

I may look for it, but in principle on the resistive screens the point is the average between two points of contact:

you put one finger in X, you save the position
you put second finger in Y, for the device the point of contact will move rapidly to (Y-X)/2
by moving your second finger you change the second position relatively to the first one

I hope you understand what I mean If not, I will try to search for any video demo, as I know it exists. You can always try this on your resistive touch device (if you have any) in you drawing program.

Last edited by hopbeat; 2009-10-23 at 15:17.

I believe a similar effect can be seen in a tabletPC / wacom tablet (if you have two pointing devices) and it's behaviour sounds sort of like how the touchpad acts too. Although a touchpad is relative positioning.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by hopbeat View Post
I may look for it, but in principle on the resistive screens the point is the average between two points of contact:

you put one finger in X, you save the position
you put second finger in Y, for the device the point of contact will move rapidly to (Y-X)/2
by moving your second finger you change the second position relatively to the first one

I hope you understand what I mean If not, I will try to search for any video demo, as I know it exists. You can always try this on your resistive touch device (if you have any) in you drawing program.
But how does the hardware or software know that there are two fingers involved, rather than just one finger in the average point between the two fingers? In other words, how does it know to do a zoom rather than a drag?

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
But how does the hardware or software know that there are two fingers involved, rather than just one finger in the average point between the two fingers? In other words, how does it know to do a zoom rather than a drag?
From how it's working, it wouldn't, really. It's going to use a heuristic approach by looking at the speed of movement on the touch, which could well be incorrect.. but I'd think it would likely work fairly well in practice if well tuned.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by volt View Post
I believe a similar effect can be seen in a tabletPC / wacom tablet (if you have two pointing devices) and it's behaviour sounds sort of like how the touchpad acts too. Although a touchpad is relative positioning.
How the touchpad reacts is mostly because of drivers/software. Linux drivers for synaptics touchpads can do multitouch on most of the touchpads.

Yes, that's where the fun starts

I believe, it should work quite well, a nice little trick...