Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by droll View Post
these people are the reason why Apple is making tons of money!
omg! f*ck normality! we should all put mobile OS hacking on the top of our life priorities!

seriously though.. ( ).. we should be looking at those masses of people as an untapped resource. If we can make a simple UI layer to make them happy, then we can get funding from them to further our projects.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Note for any terminal noobs: Typing "rm -rf /" as root (first post) will delete everything, including the OS. If you're wondering whether to try it, don't.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to skykooler For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Juhgu View Post
Well, some people have decided against buying a N900 exactly because it has the reputation of a linux geek phone. On the contrary to your post, I find it kind of sad that people didn't realize how N900 is a great phone for the average user as well, much much better than Symbian phones because of the fast and good looking OS. And not harder to use in any way, and no linux skills required whatsoever.

Well, used to be anyway, I guess nowadays Android has finally caught up and seems to have a brighter future than the N900. N900 used to be #1 phone for quite some time though, in my opinion.
Please just point me in the direction of the best book to start with for the basics. I am total lost but am willing to learn.
P.S. I know the advanced users hate step for step basics explaining I just need a foothold.
Thanks

Posts: 404 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dehradun,India
Originally Posted by JohnLF View Post
I was at a fundraiser recently and saw a girl take out her N900 to text someone. I went "wow the 1st person I've seen with the same phone as me, lets compare apps". She had NEVER connected it to the net, not even wifi. PR1.0 and stock apps, used as a phone / SMS only. Shocked didn't cover it...
Well well
Am jealous how come I didn't meet someone with a N900
Feel lucky you got to meet another N900 owner

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raaj13 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
omg! f*ck normality! we should all put mobile OS hacking on the top of our life priorities!

seriously though.. ( ).. we should be looking at those masses of people as an untapped resource. If we can make a simple UI layer to make them happy, then we can get funding from them to further our projects.
Can we start funding a project for 3G video call?

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by jahknowledgelife View Post
Please just point me in the direction of the best book to start with for the basics. I am total lost but am willing to learn.
P.S. I know the advanced users hate step for step basics explaining I just need a foothold.
Thanks
http://www.aboutdebian.com/linux.htm

http://www.debianadmin.com/basic-lin...man-pages.html

Originally Posted by dave1010 View Post
  • haven't installed Power Kernel and overclocked it
  • haven't modded Ovi maps
  • haven't tried the Community SSU
still don't need it. plus, CSSU still buggy, but I will look forward to it

Originally Posted by dave1010 View Post
  • haven't dual booted into NITDroid
  • haven't installed Easy Debian and ran OpenOffice, the GIMP, etc
  • haven't installed Windows 95 in DosBox
why should I? especially for the last one, why should I bother use it anyway? stock OS is waaaaayyyy better than Win95

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to figaro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
Can we start funding a project for 3G video call?
Uhuh.

If the maemo project was commercially successful, Nokia wouldn't have to sell out to Microsoft. They would've fasttracked the maemo6 device instead and there would've been more features build into the OS with the additional funding.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2011-03-15 at 05:49.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
N900 is a special device straight out of the box.

That's why I bought it in the first place.

But most are greedy and want more. I'm the same.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Well, the N900 was the logical step after the N8XX. That is true internet in your pocket plus full phone functionality.

I have tried everything the OP posted except debian and windows and the dreaded CSSU. Why in gods name would I want openoffice and windows on this thing? In addition I have installed (wasted time) on numerous MeeGo derivates.

I say stock is just fine. Stock does everything just fine. Although overclocking can be fun (for a day or two) there is no real gain.

Tags
awesome, modding