I made a network printing app... https://github.com/attah/harbour-seaprint
I'll refrain from getting in to the "Why not CUPS discussion" as an intro, but it was considered. All it does is IPP (Internet Printing Protocol) and sending the raw PDFs (or JPEGs) over to the printer.

One of the goals with this, and SFOS Devember in general, was to make Sailfish OS more feature complete and as such more approachable for the average person. So it is deliberately harbour friendly. Personally printing barely a blip on the nice-to-have radar, so hopefully i can get it to a state where maintenance is low, and perhaps a few contributors will show up.
At least it was a fun challenge.

TJC is pretty limited for discussions, so i'm trying here for improvement suggestions and discussions on future features.

Please do share experiences and wishes.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to attah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
A first, very naive question. When you say "network printing", do you mean printing using some network service or using my network printer at home? Sorry about my cluelessness. My extent of understanding IPP is looking it up on Wikipedia 2 minutes ago.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
A first, very naive question. When you say "network printing", do you mean printing using some network service or using my network printer at home? Sorry about my cluelessness. My extent of understanding IPP is looking it up on Wikipedia 2 minutes ago.
He means local network. I got it working with an ipp printer (https port 631, but with bonjour). Printer address works too.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
A 'raw' (port 9100) possibility is what I miss.

I spent some time getting cups and cupsfilters and foomatic and avahi and mupdf and ... to compiled but failed in the end somewhere ...

direct raw printer access on ip:9100 is what I use almost everywhere

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2020-01-11 at 10:04. Reason: mixed up port digits

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
When you say "network printing", do you mean printing using some network service or using my network printer at home?
I mean using your networked printer at home.
The former would maybe have been called Cloud Printing by current buzzword standards, and much less interesting (IMO).

A 'raw' (port 9001) possibility is what I miss.
If it is behind a foomatic pipeline, as in your case, it is way beyond the scope of this app, and indeed sometimes very complicated, not to mention possibly x86-centric. That's the limitation of not using CUPS. Not entirely sure when IPP became widely supported, but it sounds like 10 years ago or so, with some printers upwards of 20 years old.

I am looking at standard raster formats though (still on IPP), they seem doable.

Last edited by attah; 2020-01-10 at 18:15.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to attah For This Useful Post:
Mine is around 22y now and still printing
a HP deskjet 1120C

and I printed to it from N9/x0 very well (via CUPS)

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2020-01-11 at 10:21. Reason: mixed up model number digits :(

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Mine is around 22y now and still printing
a HP deskjet 1120C

and I printed to it from N9/x0 very well (via CUPS)
I'm failing with seaprint and my old deskjet 1320 connected to the network with a standalone jetdirect 170x. I'm not sure that ipp printing isn't supported or I just haven't configured the jetdirect properly. Becuase it's too late to change that: the web config page of the jetdirect no longer works with recent-ish browsers (including Sailfish).

I do get the Lexmark 260dn to work with postscript files, and thanks to imagemagick I can print other images on that. No luck with my Epson ecotank, even though refresh tries to add it.

Is there anything sensitive I'm gonna need to censor out if I post the stderr output of SeaPrint for debugging?

Edit: Forgot to say thanks attah for this app, a much-appreciated addition to the sailfish universe!

Last edited by robthebold; 2020-06-24 at 18:12.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Shame on me I did not report earlier.

Due to Corona my old beloved DJ1120C gave up, finally.
I needed to replace it with an OfficeJet7000 E809a, a not so old model.
With this one no chance as only proprietary HP stuff and 9100 working. No possibility to configure IPP.
But I also have now a LaserJet M1536dnf MFP and that one has IPP and is working with SeaPrint

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Sorry for the late reply, apparently email notifications aren't a thing.

Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
I do get the Lexmark 260dn to work with postscript files, and thanks to imagemagick I can print other images on that.
Not sure what you mean "work with", over port 9100 or what?

No luck with my Epson ecotank, even though refresh tries to add it.
Hmmm, that's pretty modern and should have PWG raster support i think.

Is there anything sensitive I'm gonna need to censor out if I post the stderr output of SeaPrint for debugging?
I'd take out your WiFi SSID before posting, just because.
Apart from that i can only think of there being printer IPs and printer names, which should be fine.
When you get further, there will be your document name too, which should be fine as long as you are aware.

So yes, please do post logs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attah For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Due to Corona my old beloved DJ1120C gave up, finally.
My god, I didn't know machines were affected too!
My condolences. This pandemic really takes its toll.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post: