Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ CA, USA
Could this eventually work on my decrepit Samsung Galaxy Player 3.6? It runs Android 2.3 gingerbread and I think Sailfish could possible make it a more usable device again.

I need some extra space for cloud storage. Help me get some! (You get some too)

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
If true this is not so good...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/joll...ssue-t2694127f
Expected.but bad either way. Exactly how bad depends on how jolla can get native app support.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Meh I'd rather developers jump in and start programming for Sailfish, people say Ubuntu is going to blow Sailfish out of the water, but two things:

A. they don't have a phone...
B. there also using Qt so when Ubuntu does finally arrive at the party everybody benefits.

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Shadwblade2652 View Post
Could this eventually work on my decrepit Samsung Galaxy Player 3.6? It runs Android 2.3 gingerbread and I think Sailfish could possible make it a more usable device again.
From this post by flotron on xda it says

"Jolla will launch soon a "hardware adaptation development kit". So anyone can start porting their own Android version.
Only requirement: support CyanogenMod 10.1 or higher (source: IRC)"

So you'll have to determine if your device supports, at minimum, CyanogenMod 10.1.

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
Meh I'd rather developers jump in and start programming for Sailfish, people say Ubuntu is going to blow Sailfish out of the water, but two things:

A. they don't have a phone...
B. there also using Qt so when Ubuntu does finally arrive at the party everybody benefits.
To me, the biggest advantage that Ubuntu has over Sailfish is name recognition and that it tries to directly link to its desktop distribution. It would be great if Sailfish or Sailfish launcher could be modified to doubly serve as phone etc. and a desktop environment for, say, Debian that runs on phone and tablet and desktop. @qole you still out there?

Last edited by mscion; 2014-03-27 at 13:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
To me, the biggest advantage that Ubuntu has over Sailfish is name recognition and that it tries to directly link to its desktop distribution
And the fact that they have a huge pile to burn money any way they would like to do...

It would be great if Sailfish or Sailfish launcher could be modified to doubly serve as phone etc. and a desktop environment for, say, Debian that runs on phone and tablet and desktop. @qole you still out there?
Unfortunately Debian is not possible, it would have to be some RPM-based distribution.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
And the fact that they have a huge pile to burn money any way they would like to do...

Unfortunately Debian is not possible, it would have to be some RPM-based distribution.
Thanks. RPM is fine with me I have Fedora on my Galaxy Note 3!

Btw folks. Time to go to work!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/joll...9/post51417864

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Thanks. RPM is fine with me I have Fedora on my Galaxy Note 3!

Btw folks. Time to go to work!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/joll...9/post51417864
I failed miserably at my first try But I will be back...

Big thanks to Carsten Munk (Stskeeps) and SailfishOS for Android devices team. Plus a huge thanks to daycrawler for sharing.

Edit/ Why the watermark? Please rem8ve...in next update.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-03-27 at 17:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Had a debate with one of the lead editors @ArsTechnica, it was mind-numbing...
The main rationale he used for why they rarely cover sailfish but cover ubuntu touch heaps (even compared to the 3x main OS's) basically came down to:

ubuntu touch has a future because it has big/powerful backers, sailfish isn't interesting because it's chances of success longer-term are much lower
(oversimplifying what he said somewhat).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
mister a-hole