Question (slightly off topic) - in an older thread, Ryan said:

"All versions of AbiWord should save to MS Doc just fine - I personally use RTF for anything I have to share, ABW for things I keep to myself. The 2.4.6 build (and the later ones I will make to fix the N800 problems) supports ODT."

I can't find this functionality in abiword on my 770 - no options to save as another format, and loading a .doc file results in ????? instead of text. Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I couldn't find it. Also thanks for all the hard work and enthusiasm - looking forward to the new release!

Well interesting, had never tried that before, but it certainly seems as though there is no file-type selector in the save-as box. I wonder if that is an inherent limitation of Hildon or if there's something we can do about that. What I do know is that it will save in the format that you loaded (e.g. open a ODT< is will save it back as an ODT), so ifyou wanted to poorly work around this, you could keep a blank RTF file on hand. Please file this lack of a file type selection mechanism as a bug on http://bugzilla.abisource.com

I know about the ??? in Word docs thing, and a patch has been committed that I'm told should do the trick. The next build should incorporate this fix.

If you find any other issues, please don't hesitate to search and report at http://bugzilla.abisource.com - it's how we can keep track of what needs to be done most easily. File against Front End - Maemo (as the component) if you are in doubt.

Thanks for your contributions!
AbiWord on Maemo beta now available - contact me to help fix bugs!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I don't know much about Abiword so this will be an ignorant question: can it save docs to a website? For instance, I'm working on a novel and I'd love to keep the source on a web page, and edit it on the go when an idea occurs to me. It would sure be nice to have that option with my N800...

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Wilmington, NC
can it save docs to a website
That my friend, is why the Unix gods invented ftp...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Yeah, but I was hoping for something more elegant (and automatic) for lazy writers like me.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Yeah, but I was hoping for something more elegant (and automatic) for lazy writers like me.
You could do what I do: Mail them to a Gmail account. I've set up a label and a filter for all those pages an snippets I keep jotting down when I'm away from the desktop (which seems to be more rule than exception these days).

I tried using Minimo and Google Docs, because that's indeed more "automatic" (and Dieu knows I'm lazy enough to appreciate automatic), but it's slow as really slow molassis on an N800, so I reverted to my antique copy of Abiword 2.2.7 and good ole' Google Mail.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Of all the online storage sites out there, I've found that box.net works fine with the default Opera browser on the 800. They offer 1 gig of space for free.

It's what I use when I want to upload/download anything from/to the N800.

Yeah, it's not automatic, but for online storage, it works nicely with the N800.

R.
==

And we're off on a tangent ;-P

You want to look at rsync, or just write a shell script to do it. That's the joy of the Nxxx. It's just a Linux tablet computer under the hood. Do what you want.

NOTE: rsync can do a scheduled backup to a remote box. You can schedule a cron job to do it whatever way you want - ftp, rsync, tar, etc. I haven't got to the point where I do anything like that myself, but I'd probably use rsync until I get a better handle on what's available for the Nxxx Linux. I usually prefer to do this stuff with ncftp (nice batch features), but I haven't looked to see if it's available yet.