Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by andymulhearn View Post
Karel, any chance you could post the modified section of file?
I was typing that long reply. Does that one help?

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
I was typing that long reply. Does that one help?
Spot on thanks

Though I just used sudo gainroot followed by vi /etc/mce/mce.ini

Oh and if anyone else is reading this, I don't think the mce and systemui changes play nice together. I applied both and managed to end up with a system where the power button didn't bring up the menu or activate the key/screen unlock option.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
Long live mbm!
Editing the mce.ini and changing the PowerKeyLongAction to softpoweroff is the solution to a problem for most of us, thanks.

One little thing though, if I press for a second and manage to release just after 1 s then the screen comes back briefly before turning off. Pressing a bit longer than 1 s turns it off straight away.

Last edited by 9a6or; 2007-02-10 at 23:14.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Spot on thanks

Though I just used sudo gainroot followed by vi /etc/mce/mce.ini
I don't know [private parts] about vi(m) myself.

Oh and if anyone else is reading this, I don't think the mce and systemui changes play nice together. I applied both and managed to end up with a system where the power button didn't bring up the menu or activate the key/screen unlock option.
Reboot? (In your case: take out the battery)

It seems changes in mce.ini only take effect after a reboot.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
Originally Posted by 9a6or View Post
Long live mbm!
Editing the mce.ini and changing the PowerKeyLongAction to softpoweroff is the solution to a problem for most of us, thanks.

One little thing though, if I press for a second and manage to release just after 1 s then the screen comes back briefly before turning off. Pressing a bit longer than 1 s turns it off straight away.
It must be 1.5 s because PowerKeyLongDelay=1500.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Sure there is!

As stated in the bug, some of us work in sensitive environments and don't want the N800 scanning wireless networks all day from within our pockets. And if you were to configure the N800 to use a network away from home the N800 is at liberty to reconnect automatically which is not what you may want it to do (so you have to delete the network to stop the N800 from connecting).

So yes, being able to lock the device quickly AND disable all wireless connectivity IS required. By some of us at least!
I still don't see the problem. Configure wi-fi search interval to 'never' and it won't connect automatically, nor will it search. I will start searching when the N800 is on, and you try to go networking. Then you have to select and accept. When you go on your bus or train you eventually lose your connection (even if you didn't disconnect manually). Your N800 will not continue scanning after this stage. In fact it will scan only when you ask it to. So what is then the difference between an N800 and a 770?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I still don't see the problem. Configure wi-fi search interval to 'never' and it won't connect automatically
I *want* this functionality when I'm at home, but I don't want it when I'm in an environment where wireless devices are prohibited. So that's why I want a quick way to shut up the wireless when the thing is in my pocket, exactly the kind of functionality I had with my 770.

It's great that Nokia have sorted out the "always on" functionality, but they have totally forgotten about those of us that sometimes want "always off" functionality as well!!

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-02-12 at 13:30.

Any one else having a problem where it's impossible to unlock the screen because the |*| button is not recognized as being hit? I get the "Now Press |*|" but it just goes away after a couple of seconds because multiple presses of the center key don't do anything.