I've added a couple more impressions of the device, and some more substantial thoughts on performance (including benchmarks). As I've always thought, and as many in the community have strenuously denied, Sailfish has some real performance issues.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=383

@m4r0v3r - i prefer mitakuuluu to whatsup. if you like whatsup, try it out on the N5.
@KylliOrvokki - thanks. N5 is a good choice if you want to stick with SF and are fairly tolerant of problems (you must be if you've stuck with SF / Jolla this long). bear in mind that it would be optimistic to expect Jolla to port Alien Dalvik to all of Sailfish in the next 6 months (or by year's end). it's also pretty good if you don't mind using Android. though maybe you want to buy a case for your First One and buy the successor(s) to the N5 and N6 (probably LG G4 / Huawei Honour P8 derivative) later in the year.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Could it be that the UI isn't HW accelerated on N5?

Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
Could it be that the UI isn't HW accelerated on N5?
it isnt.

10 chars

yet according to lighthouse all 4 cores are chilling. but i assume there is literally no acceleration which means everything goes through the cpu

also the music stutters a lot, I assume thats because the DSP isn't involved?

Last edited by m4r0v3r; 2015-04-27 at 11:06.

That might help explain why there's no discernable difference in performance with the N5 in every day use over the JP in Sailfish ... however it doesn't explain the massive performance overhead that both the JP and N5 suffer from in cpu bound tasks in Sailfish, and that the JP doesn't when using Alien Dalvik.

Re: monitoring core activity. I've tried, but there's not much useful info that you can discern. First of all we only have Lighthouse that's really reliable, and it doesn't provide a graphing feature or the ability to dynamically measure core clocks (or at all). I miss Conky on the N900 so much Also, I'm not convinced it's very accurate on the N5. Furthermore, the most interesting thing would be to see if the CPU on the JP is being fully loaded when I run the benches in Firefox in Alien Dalvik (suspect it's getting nuked at full clocks) ... but I can't as the app suspends as soon it's no longer focused, for all Alien Dalvik apps. For what it's worth, Sailfish seems to struggle to load the cores even in the pretty aggressive Octane benchmark, for the JP, seems also to be the same for the N5 (but I don't really trust Lighthouse to be accurate as it isn't tuned to the N5).

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
imo the jurys out till that 2.0 image is released to the public

I don't see what SFOS "2.0" has to do with this. It's a collection of updated features, UI paradigms and refined animations. Jolla have never hinted that it will be faster or more optimised, or remove the crippling bottlenecks that the OS currently suffers from.

Edit: I updated the XDA post again, this time with Ubuntu Phone (on N5) results. UP & SF share Qt, QML, C++, libhybris and are both 'real' linux, so I think it's a good comparison. Problem doesn't seem to lie with hybris as UP has stellar performance.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2015-04-27 at 17:17.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
I don't see what SFOS "2.0" has to do with this. It's a collection of updated features, UI paradigms and refined animations. Jolla have never hinted that it will be faster or more optimised, or remove the crippling bottlenecks that the OS currently suffers from.

Edit: I updated the XDA post again, this time with Ubuntu Phone (on N5) results. UP & SF share Qt, QML, C++, libhybris and are both 'real' linux, so I think it's a good comparison. Problem doesn't seem to lie with hybris as UP has stellar performance.

well its because I assume that Jolla have made there own port for the Nexus 5, building on what the community did. Atleast in those videos the phone seemed more responsive.

If you read my posts, the Jolla Phone is suffering in exactly the same way as the Nexus 5. It's not confined to community ports. Also, I think a lot of that was due to better animations and screen transitions. A few of them are updated in the EA release that went out 10 days ago. On the face of it, it looks a lot better.

Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
If you read my posts, the Jolla Phone is suffering in exactly the same way as the Nexus 5. It's not confined to community ports. Also, I think a lot of that was due to better animations and screen transitions. A few of them are updated in the EA release that went out 10 days ago. On the face of it, it looks a lot better.
it does seem that the browser/os is slower. but at the same time something seems missing from the equation.

It's not an illusion. It IS very slow ... and Alien Dalvik running inside Sailfish is much faster (similar speed to how quick it'd be in Android). I get the feeling the task scheduler might be completely borked in Sailfish, and AD bypasses it entirely ... or something like that.