Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Sorry if this is an issue known to everyone but me

I am staying at a hotel with a very good WiFi signal. My spouse and our kids browse on their Android devices like there is no tomorrow. But on my Xperia X running Sailfish... at an unpredictable interval between a few seconds and about 10 minutes from the moment I start browsing, the browser freezes as if buffering, but...
  • Once I close Browser, I cannot open it again. It starts with the spinner and shuts down again.
  • I can open other applications but it takes a while. For example, Gallery starts with a spinner, shuts down, then.about 2 minutes later it starts spontaneously.
  • I cannot switch to Flight mode, turn off WiFi or switch to another WiFi. When I try any of those actions, nothing happens. When I try again, I get a banner saying "Operation in progress" and... nothing happens.
  • I cannot restart the network in Utilities. The Utilities app completely freezes.
  • I cannot restart Lipstick in Utilities, reboot or power down. Everything shuts down, the screen goes dark and the red indicator LED lights up forever, until I press and hold the power button for 20 seconds.
  • Once shut down, the phone never powers up again. Holding the power button does nothing, as does plugging in the charger. The ONLY way to get my phone back is by opening the back cover and disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. Trust me, I've done it at least 10 times already.

I don't know if this is specific to Xperia X only and I am too scared to risk it on my Jolla which is my main device. I am currently typing this on my X connected to a hotspot created by the Jolla.

Any ideas? Anything I could try without having to disconnect the battery?

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I should add, the last time I switched my Jolla from doing the hotspot back to the hotel WiFi, it rebooted. But that might have been a coincidence.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
No idea, sorry.
But this here sounds related?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
this here sounds related?
It does indeed. What's "soft reset"? That link suggests it helps.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
On XA2:
Vol+ and Power together for ca. 3-5 seconds until a three time vibration
--edit
had to do this morning and it was only a one time vibration

I do need this from time to time when my XA2 completely freezes (due to manually enlarged swap space by means of using a swap file).
But should also help in your case:
either for rebooting
or for start-up without battery reconnection

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2020-08-28 at 13:30.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Thanks, Peter. I always thought that Vol+ + Power was hard reset. The equivalent of pressing the reset button on the old PC. I imagined a "soft" reset to be something like restarting Lipstick.

I am back at home and no longer exposed to the issue so cannot try if it works, but I will keep it in mind for the future.