Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
I've just seen performance is far from being stellar. Suspect there is currently no hardware acceleration at all. Hope to see it, because SFOS 2.0 demos on YouTube which run on the N5 seem really fast.

Originally Posted by romu View Post
I've just seen performance is far from being stellar. Suspect there is currently no hardware acceleration at all. Hope to see it, because SFOS 2.0 demos on YouTube which run on the N5 seem really fast.
Performance on N5 is consistent with performance on the Jolla. I.E. roughly the same amount slower than Alien Dalvik / Android ROMs. Also much slower than native apps on Ubuntu Touch. It's much deeper than that. They have a serious problem somewhere ...

We'll see, but I suspect it just looks smoother and 'faster' due to new animations and transitions, and maybe further improvements to the renderer. Since the UI started to be overhauled with the pre-Xmas update last year, some load and thinking times have worsened, but most people will probably think it's 'faster' due to better animations ... though the new renderer not suffering from constant and massive frame drops (unlike old one) probably plays a bigger part. It'll be easy enough to tell when the update is released by doing some simple benchmarks on the Jolla (plus I have two of them so I can do side by side) ... I'm not expecting much, as they've never once acknowledged the issues.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Hi,
I tested with several configurations. with CM12, it doesn't work, period. The N5 stays locked on the Google screen.

So, CM11 is a must. And it seems to work, yeah !!
oh **** yeah sorry, its only for CM11, there only going to move to CM12 if theres any real improvements, and since now the GPS is working, no real need to rebase on CM12

Yes wait and see.

I mostly wait for the 1.1.7 to get some patches to work, 4 icons make them sooo big on the N5 screen

I'll try if the GPS works, didn't try yet. I'll also give a shot at the phone and messaging features to see if I switch from the Jolla to the N5.

Any idea how to install the predictive keyboard?

The command
pkcon install store-client jolla-xt9 jolla-xt9-de
returns:

Command failed: This tool could not find any available package: could not find jolla-xt9-de
Thanks.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The predictive keyboard is licensed 3rd party software and thus only available on the Jolla phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
not true..i use it on nexus 5, i installed it by terminal but i dont remember if that string is right...only licensed things are dalvik and exchange. but i switched to fruux and now i am quiet.

im referring to it xt9, but guess its the same

The Following User Says Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Yes wait and see.

I mostly wait for the 1.1.7 to get some patches to work, 4 icons make them sooo big on the N5 screen

I'll try if the GPS works, didn't try yet. I'll also give a shot at the phone and messaging features to see if I switch from the Jolla to the N5.
In alpha 13 it works but without assist. Works very well too. If you join sailfishos-porters you can ask for the alpha13 link. The patches work perfectly with it, I use the eventsview remastered and launcher combined.

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Alpha 13 installed. FYI, Low Power Mode commands work and allow to unlock the N5 with double tap when the LPM screen is shown.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
SFOS on NExus 5 look more and more attractive !
I'm yelling on my Jolla every summer coz' of this sh**y poor brightness while reading outisde with the sun straight on the screen :/

Too bad its HW is not fully exploited ...

Will the new Nexus 5 be as compatible with Sailfish as the previous one ?
https://www.androidpit.com/nexus-5-2...specs-features

The Following User Says Thank You to clovis86 For This Useful Post: