Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
May I bother you with a feature request? Three in fact
  1. Remember the location of the last file open. I was just playing a few cartoons to my daughter, all from the same directory, and it was rather tedious to have to go "Open -> Browse Files -> Show SD Card -> 5AC7-FDDA -> Cartoons -> dirname -> file.mp4" over and over again. If next Open started straight from dirname, that would have saved a lot of time.
    What's that business with the card ID anyway? Kinda pointless, it's not like the phone can take more than one. Why that extra step? Why does "Show SD Card" not go straight to the card's root? And even if that step is really necessary, why showing a cryptic card ID and not a disk label? My card has one.
  2. Would it be possible to swap volume up and down buttons in landscape mode? The current assignment is rather counter-intuitive.
  3. The most useful feature I would expect from a decent OS is a file type association. So that a tapping on file.mp4 in any random file manager opens an associated video player. Is that an impossible request?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Remember the location of the last file open. I was just playing a few cartoons to my daughter, all from the same directory, and it was rather tedious to have to go "Open -> Browse Files -> Show SD Card -> 5AC7-FDDA -> Cartoons -> dirname -> file.mp4" over and over again. If next Open started straight from dirname, that would have saved a lot of time.
That is already possible by default(only with the advanced filemanager). You might notice that when you click on open the file browser swipes to the left and the video player comes in from the right. With a simple swipe guesture back (from left to right) you will see the file browser exactly were you left it before.

What's that business with the card ID anyway? Kinda pointless, it's not like the phone can take more than one. Why that extra step? Why does "Show SD Card" not go straight to the card's root? And even if that step is really necessary, why showing a cryptic card ID and not a disk label? My card has one.
Yeah the system is using the id of the card and not the label to mount it. As the id changes all the time(depending on the card inserted) I can only show what I am able to show

Would it be possible to swap volume up and down buttons in landscape mode? The current assignment is rather counter-intuitive.
The volume keys are not controlled by my player but are a global volume changer. You might want to make a request thread on together.jolla.com . Maybe SailfishOS Devs see this and could build in an option in systemsettings.

The most useful feature I would expect from a decent OS is a file type association. So that a tapping on file.mp4 in any random file manager opens an associated video player. Is that an impossible request?
Everything I can do is what I already do. The player is already registering itself as viewer for most video formats.
You can see all the different formats in the harbour-videoPlayer.desktop file in /usr/share/applications (or on the git sources)
If you have concrete things that I could add to this please mention them.
As for graphical file association tools. I am missing a "file open with"- page in most of the file managers. Maybe they are waiting for Jolla to come with an solution to add to the api.
In the last updates also the media gallery registers itself as video player. I am not sure which will get higher priority if both want to associate the same filetypes. Maybe the last installs or registered comes first.
All in all also a system/filemanager issue on which I can not do anything more than I already do in my video player.

Donate using Liberapay

Last edited by llelectronics; 2014-11-15 at 22:29.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Mea culpa, I completely missed that swipe left-swipe right browser thingy. Thanks a lot, that really makes life much more bereable. As for the rest, I suspected that was the case but was hoping that you can do something about it. Thanks again and sorry about the noise.

Please add the following gestures to video playback

1 Tap to play/pause video
2 Gesture for seeking video forward and backward

These are the two gestures i use the most on MX Player
Will you be adding these in a future update????????????

Please add following gestures to video playback

1 Tap to Play/Pause
2 Gesture for seeking video Forward and Backward

Will you be adding these two gestures to the player
Please i need them REAL BAD

Thanks

Originally Posted by 243kof View Post
When is video playing in the active cover coming?
Thanks for this awesome player by the way.
I pushed a version with live cover preview a few seconds ago onto git.
It would be nice if someone could test it. Especially if it works on 1.0.8.x as I can't seem to test it in the emulator and I personally have 1.1.0.39 running on my Jolla.

It is working nice on 1.1.0.39 but I would like to know if this approach also works for 1.0.8.x before I release a new update that might break it for those running 1.0.8.x

Donate using Liberapay

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Just tested 0.7-3 on .8, but the live preview is not there, just like previously only icon/timer. Not sure if it's from latest update, but now yt playing gives:
This appears to be text file

(hmm.. maybe not related, first couple of hits did this, after restart/toggling direct yt urls on and off, can't reproduce, everything seems to be working fine)

edit: oh wait onto git, not openrepos nvm
trying to compile on device runs into errors with struct QQuickView, sailfishapp.h probably changed quite a bit in the latest release

Last edited by szopin; 2014-11-17 at 11:06.

The sourcecode did not change in the c++ part.
Normally I would recommend using the last stable sdk and try it with it (thats still the workflow I use to make sure it works with 1.0.8 aswell)

Anyhow I attached the rpm (in zip as rpm is not allowed as direct attachement here. Maybe someone should change that as debs are allowed) for you to test. Hopefully that works for you
Attached Files
File Type: zip harbour-videoPlayer-0.7-4.armv7hl.rpm.zip (105.2 KB, 67 views)

Donate using Liberapay

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by llelectronics View Post
The sourcecode did not change in the c++ part.
Normally I would recommend using the last stable sdk and try it with it (thats still the workflow I use to make sure it works with 1.0.8 aswell)

Anyhow I attached the rpm (in zip as rpm is not allowed as direct attachement here. Maybe someone should change that as debs are allowed) for you to test. Hopefully that works for you
probably will have to redo my chroot
your rpm works great! preview is working fine, just wondering if this will have a huge impact on battery life, might be worth to make it optional. Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Yeah this is a good idea to make it configurable. As screen keeps refreshing and the gpu is more used it might be really that it is using more power.
Pushed it already to git with a nice setting to turn it off.
So it is enabled by default.

If it works fine then with 1.0.8 aswell then I will update the package asap.
Thanks for the feedback.

Donate using Liberapay

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post: