Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Patch: Dialer Keypad on by default, perchance?
Exactly what I was looking for!
Thanks a lot!

Posts: 1,552 | Thanked: 3,108 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Russia, 96
By the way this patch now is much-much better https://openrepos.net/content/ancela...ock-faith-text

See screenshots

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ancelad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
missing two patches quick setting on power menu and volume control setting by alina , they are not Iijoki ready i think, these patches work but once installed these two cannot be unapplied. installed volume control patch last week but couldn't unapply it , are there other alternate patches to these?

Continuing
Originally Posted by olf View Post
# 2208
(i.e. still the same setup):

5. Bug when applying multiple Patches in a row
Short description:
When applying multiple Patches one after the other, freshly enabled Patches are displayed as unapplied after a little while.
Steps to reproduce:
a. Install multiple new Patches (tested with 3 to 6). It does not matter, if from the Web catalog or via RPM (e.g. Warehouse).
b. Enable them one right after the other. Timing does not matter.
c. For each Patch, the cycle is:
- When hitting the button, it lights up (O.K.)
- A notification about installing this Patch is displayed (O.K.).
- After applying the next Patch and waiting for a little while, the button is unlit, again (not O.K.).
So finally it looks like only the last one of the freshly installed Patches is actually applied.
d. Exiting Patchmanager 2.0 and entering it again then correctly shows, which Patches are applied (and which are not).
Expected behaviour:
Buttons indicating an applied Patch stay lit, after applying multiple Patches in a row.

*Edit:* This seems the happen on every multiple "apply" / "unapply" actions in a row: After a while all toggled Patches are displayed as unapplied. Two toggle operations seem to be sufficient to trigger this bug (one of them an "apply" action), and when waiting long enough (not very long), it seems that even the last applied Patch becomes unlit.
This behaviour of Patchmanager 2 made me accidentally reappling an already applied Patch at least twice, but doing so does not seem to cause any harm.

*Edit 2:* Now I observed this happening even after applying just a *single* Patch: Waiting a few seconds, the freshly lit button becomes unlit again.

6. Minor usability bug, when returning from detailed Patch information page to list view of installed Patches
Observation:
The specific position of the list view of installed Patches (when returning from a detailed Patch information page) depends on the position of the patch within the list:
a. A position above the word "Homescreen" (indicating the start of this section) or one below it with the word "Homescreen" still visible on the device screen / above the eighth Patch or one with the eighth Patch visible:
The list position is the same as before entering the detailed Patch information page (O.K.).
b. A position so far below the word "Homescreen", that the word "Homescreen" is not visible on the device screen / below the eighth Patch without it being visible:
The list position jumps, so that the first Patch in the section "Homescreen" / the eighth Patch is the topmost displayed one (not O.K.).
(Note that this bug occurs regardless of the device orientation {portrait, landscape}.)
Expected behaviour:
The list position is always the same as before entering a Patch's detailed info page.

7. [Feature suggestion] Display conflicting Patches, when a Patch fails to apply
Background:
Patches conflicting with each other are creating a "conflict hell", which is really hard to resolve manually. E.g. I am currently unable to identify *all* the Patches (out of about 35 installed ones), which conflict with "Ultimate statusbar patch" or "Devicelock faith text". *Edit:* "Force cover size" and "No notification preview" are conflicting with those two Patches!?!
Idea:
It would be extremely helpful for users of Patchmanager2 to be notified specifically, which other Patches (and / or which original file) a Patch conflicts with, when applying it fails.
Thoughts:
Basically all information needed is already there: Which lines in which files each Patch patches (and which original lines a Patch expects). So if Patches intend to patch the same lines, they conflict. If there is no conflict between Patches, but the expected original lines are not present, something else is wrong (most likely the Patch is not compatible with the installed SailfishOS version).

8. [Minor usability bug: Inconsistent wording] "install*" instead of "apply*" and "remove" instead of "unapply" used in notifications
Description:
The wording in Patchmanager2 consistently keeps "installing / uninstalling" and "applying / unapplying" a Patch clearly separate, which is excellent. But in the notifications "install*" instead of "apply*" and "remove" instead of "unapply" is used, which is confusing.
Possible solution:
Please alter the three notifications messages, e.g. as follows.
Note, I also removed the word "Patch" and the action taken repeated in each second line, because the second line is usually way too long for fitting into the transient notification pop-up in the upper left corner of the screen, and the duration the transient notification is displayed is too short for the second line to automatically scroll horizontally (it usually just starts scrolling shortly before the transient notification vanishes).
a. Patch installed : Patch XXX installed
--> Patch applied : "XXX"
b. Failed to install patch : Patch XXX installation failed
--> Failed to apply Patch : "XXX" conflicts with ["YYY" | and "ZZZ" | original file <filename>]
c. When unapplying a Patch:
Patch removed : Patch XXX removed
--> Patch unapplied : "XXX"
d. But when uninstalling a Patch:
Patch removed : Removed patch XXX
--> Patch uninstalled : "XXX"
e. And it seems that:
Failed to remove patch : Patch removal failed
--> Failed to uninstall Patch : "XXX"
Or can Patches also fail to be unapplied (then one has to differentiate, as in c. & d.)?
f. Finally, the remorse timer label currently states
Uninstalling patch XXX in N seconds
which then ought be (just for consistency)
Uninstalling Patch "XXX" in N seconds

HTH & Cheers

P.S.: Continued in ...
Originally Posted by olf View Post
# 2243

Last edited by olf; 2017-06-13 at 00:01. Reason: Edited 5.; Added 6., 7. & 8.; Edited 8.

The Following User Says Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I took my Jolla out of the drawer after a long time and found 8 updates pending, including Patchmanager. So I accepted the updates. BIG mistake. The Patchmanager icon disappeared from my launcher and appears to have been uninstalled. When I try to install it again, I get error, "patchmanager-2.3.1-10.39.1.jolla.armv7hl conflicts with patchmanager-ui provided by patchmanager-ui-0.5.1-10.22.1.jolla.armv7hl".

Very reluctantly, I tried removing patchmanager-ui but it does not appear to be listed in Warehouse and pkcon says, "Command failed: This tool could not find the installed package: could not find patchmanager-ui".

What is going on?

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I don't know the names of the packages, but did it maybe just install patchmanager inside Settings, instead of as a separate application? I think the separate application hasn't received updates for a very long time.

The Following User Says Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Oh, I see. It appears that Patchmanager 2.0 was installed without my consent or even knowledge. Sneaky.

But now I have another problem. I uninstalled PM2.0 (which also removed all my patches, bummer) and installed normal Patchmanager. But now I get an update and PM2.0 wants to install itself again. How do I stop it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Oh, I see. It appears that Patchmanager 2.0 was installed without my consent or even knowledge. Sneaky.

But now I have another problem. I uninstalled PM2.0 (which also removed all my patches, bummer) and installed normal Patchmanager. But now I get an update and PM2.0 wants to install itself again. How do I stop it?
Code:
devel-su rm -rf /

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
Code:
devel-su rm -rf /
You are a genius! Thanks, that worked wonderfully.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
Code:
devel-su rm -rf /
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to malkavian For This Useful Post:

Tags
patchmanager, sailfish os