Active Topics

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
qgil, you're such a pro. I'm not paid to communicate, so let me freestyle on these fools...

"Wipe away ya' crybaby tears
and mute ya' whines.

Lucky anybody asked
what's on ya' pea sized minds.

The name's been switched, so accept it,
'stead of tryin'a horde, rally 'round, protest, or protect it.

A rose by any other name
still smells good, you whaambulance drivers scared of change.

'Cause its not about MeeGo, its about people
in the community staying tight like a Speedo.

Is it .deb, .rpm? Who cares?
It'll be the same OS, so whats the use in splitting hairs?

Let it go and move on,
and years from now, play this back on your Meggo device and get your groove on!"

Now I wasted enough time on that short rhyme in hopes everyone else stops wasting it on trivial matters. This is monkey business. We just went through the Maemo-Freak redesign, etc., and now they've changed to MeeGo, and some turd has squatted on MeeGo-Freak.com, but am I whining? Nope. My mission is the same, which is to simplify the experience for users, expand adoption and development, and steer the direction of the OS to meet the widest needs.

Meego is Maemo6. So is Moblin. How can we give input on the two UIs? How can we make better apps and create new use models? How can we get more ARM ODMs and OEMs behind MeeGo? Will Nokia use it in the next Booklet? Will there be ways to sync a mobile and desktop style MeeGo device? THIS is the important stuff.

We all have ideas, but Intel and Nokia have great sales and marketing records, so trust them and watch the magic. Outside of WP7, MeeGo was the talk of MWC yesterday. WE HAVE THE SPOTLIGHT NOW!! Enjoy it while you can, because Symbian is coming, WP7 has awakened, and believe me, its on.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
LOL! Good one! But..'tight like a Speedo'? What dark corner of your mind did that pop out of? Never mind - I don't really wanna know...
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Meego is Maemo6. So is Moblin. How can we give input on the two UIs? How can we make better apps and create new use models?
I thought Maemo6 was still going to be the same Maemo version (Harmattan) that has been worked on - and that it wasn't going to be until the OS AFTER Maemo6 where we would see MeeGo.

Where did you learn that Meego is Maemo6 (and Moblin)?
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Well, MeeGo will be fully open, so we should be able to port it if Nokia doesn't. I don't see why not.

And the speedo reference, my mind is pretty messed up. I'm shocked you didn't know. I'm a certified nut, though I'd never wear a Speedo because I want children, not boyfriends.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Well, MeeGo will be fully open, so we should be able to port it if Nokia doesn't. I don't see why not.
I understand the concept of porting - which is something that also may or may not happen - what I asked was how you had learnt that Maemo6/Harmattan (a planned OS) was going to be MeeGo (and Mobile).
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
I understand the concept of porting - which is something that also may or may not happen - what I asked was how you had learnt that Maemo6/Harmattan (a planned OS) was going to be MeeGo (and Mobile).
Supposedly, the Linux Foundation will assist with driver support, I believe I read, so making builds for older devices shouldn't be too hard, though above my expertise.

As for Maemo6 bing Meego, just common sense. They said MeeGo devices will emerge THIS YEAR! And the combining is mainly about adding the Qt frameworks and UI toolkits to Moblin, sharing the development of the core stuff like Gstreamer and GTK+, and making the two UIs similar enough to be familiar when moving from a netbook/desktop UI version to a mobile version.

Maemo6 will be the basis for MeeGo going forward, along with some of the app frameworks from Moblin and a desktop style UI for non touch or netbook MeeGo builds. Ari Jakksi said Maemo6 is a MeeGo instance...

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
There will be a handheld UI and a UI for less portable builds, and option to add other UIs for future device paradigms.
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/image...meego_arch.jpg

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Chris, imho you're sort of out of your depth here... equating debs with rpms... meego, maemo 6 with moblins... and assuming driver supports to come from LF.

(and no one here wears Speedo.)
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
how you had learnt that Maemo6/Harmattan (a planned OS) was going to be MeeGo (and Mobile).
Have you read my first post in this thread?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Have you read my first post in this thread?
I did and;
a) the way I read it is that Maemo6 is not = MeeGo hence why I asked Chris where he had received information that was in contradiction to that, and

b) you need to work on writing shorter posts.

Tags
branding, buying nokia devices, buying non-nokia devices, intel is stinky, intel rocks, maemo, maemo 6, meego, meego versions, moblin, nokia, see tintin go bye-bye, sm - go back into hiding