Posts: 213 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Greetings Everyone:

I don't want to start a mess like the last Skype thread early this week, but maybe this may the reason why a Skype Software isn't available yet.

The big day is June 29, at 6:00PM local time, The Iphone.

When this new jewel shows its secerts will it compete with the N800?
Yes or No

So, if I were a strategist sitting at Nokia or Skype headquaters, I would ask myself when would be the best time to unveil a new killer software for the N800, the answer is the day after June 29, 6:01PM.

So, I think everyone is waiting to see what the Iphone will bring or improve in the Internet Tablet World.

Regards Robert

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Nice idea Robert. A great way to take some of the wind out of Apple's sails. This is an interesting prediction. Not to mention that after this date most of Finland will close for the summer, so this will fun to watch.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by RobMtl007 View Post
So, if I were a strategist sitting at Nokia or Skype headquaters, I would ask myself when would be the best time to unveil a new killer software for the N800, the answer is the day after June 29, 6:01PM.
What kind of killer software do you expect? Is there anything I missed?

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ New York
Most likely Skype is not interested in devoting resources to such a small user base as that of the N800. Period.

And why would Nokia try to undermine its core phone lines by adding a popular VOIP client to a low volume seller like the N800? So don't expect Nokia to provide Skype with resources for the port either.

The N800 is just an experiment so don't expect too much support and attention from Nokia. I like what it does it is good enough for my usage but it has not obsoleted my Palm device nor much any other tool. It could be the wave of the future but won't be tomorrow or the next month.

The N800 is too green still.

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
is the iPhone vs. n800 really an apples to apples comparison? the biggest differences (that i know of) being the cellular functionality of the iPhone and the recently announced 3rd party development capabilities, ie. it wasnt drafted to allow 3rd party apps originally.

with the Jobs affect, drooling fan-boy following, and recent marketplace resurgence of Apple, it will be an uphill battle to upstage that media circus.

not that i want to claim influence on the project, but shortly after i got my 770, i sent an email request to skpye to port the app to the maemo platform, since it was available for a standard debian install. i cited the fact that google talk was available for the 770 as standard install.

i think that skype sees an oppurtunity for further market penetration and brand recognition, and has aligned with a market giant to achieve growth, albeit in a niche market, at this time.

with the next gen of wireless devices, some of which are available now, looking to incorporate both wifi and cellular networking, skype has teamed up with one of the first companies to start pushing these devices out to the market. i dont see nokia or skype trying to outdo apple, simply moving forward on a different front.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

hi,
how is the n800 still a niche market? i've seen adds in many major magazines for it, and in the amazon 'top sellers' category under 'computers' it has been sitting between #7 and #4 for about a month. i doubt nokia considers the n800 an experiment any more than they do their other products.

The Following User Says Thank You to debudebu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The 770 was the experiment.

And voip, combined with ubiquitous wifi, will be what gives the N800 wings.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
In about 6 months when we look back we will say that the N800 was released at an early time (as far as new software catching up to it) with the right hardware, or too early with the wrong hardware.

Last edited by heavyt; 2007-06-14 at 18:18.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Toronto
My Internet Tablet was never purchased because I thought it had VOIP

I purchased it for wireless access to the internet, I thought it was Symbian operating system being a previous ngage user so I was expecting alot more software support.

This is nothing but a toy to me, I check my emails when I can, some instant messaging and as far as I am concerned everything else seems like it's still in Beta.

Whilst I have full confidence this tool could be getting alot more reviews and alot better software, it seems like the big hit/opportunity that has been missed.

My little tech toy seems just that, not good for business, hardly any good for games and a bunch of software by some very intelligent people whom I have high respect for making my device alot better than Nokia seems to have planned.

It would be lovely to see this tool become alot more than it is, but for me at this time... it's nothing but a toy... and it doesn't do all that much

But like I said, I just wanted internet on the go so it suits me, but for the price I paid for it, it would be nice if it could actually do alot more.

Skype won't be making me jump out of my boots, but because it may bring java and opera 9 to the IT, that will make me feel a bit more encouraged.

NOKIA, you know what to do.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
@testerj,

I would not count on Java or Opera. Flash and Ajax are the technologies that they are leaning towards, and the license for the Opera browser has run out so Nokia might be be using their own.