Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Well, Nokia sells more phone models than just one, so why not two (or more) tablets?
Exactly. That's why so many of us (wrongly, as it seems now) were telling people not to worry, Nokia won't produce only a single model at the time.

Therefore, I also disagree with nahkiainen.

And as to this:
>Those days were gone 15 years ago
@ghoonk: That's patently false. Those days _may_ be gone now, but they certainly weren't gone a couple of years ago. And I still fail to see why producing more than one model (as long as they appeal to different people) would hurt shareholders (I'm back to arguing against nahkiainen again..) - and Nokia itself is the strongest argument here, with their _huge_ phone model range.

Then again, I've never managed to understand what exactly goes on in the heads of marketing CEOs..

Last edited by TA-t3; 2008-02-25 at 15:37. Reason: don't abuse the apostrophe..

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Well, Nokia sells more phone models than just one, so why not two (or more) tablets?

That's plain dumb IMO. Who would take seriously platform with just one model? Nokia needs more models and it needs them yesterday.

Totally agree with you there. Lets all take note of Blackberry or my earlier example of HP. Both companies have multiple products and variations.
HP has notably more than one WIndows Mobile 'device' in both cell phone/pda formats and interestingly a number of 'configurations' in pure tablet style pda as our N series.

EDIT: HP example of PDA tablet style. (non cell phone).

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...me=storefronts

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Of course it makes sense to market more than one device in a platform or class simultaneously. However (and I am NOT quoting plans or policy here) on the other hand tablets cannot quite yet be compared with phones this way... at least, not until the platform stabilizes at device iteration 5 (or so).

That said, I would expect the N800 to be sold at least until the next iteration appears. Again, just an assumption (and personal hope), not official.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by ghoonk View Post
I'm going to wait for a fire sale and then buy another 3 units
You and me think alike!
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I would expect the N800 to be sold at least until the next iteration appears. Again, just an assumption (and personal hope), not official.
It only makes sense.

But, you know, the marketing folk at Nokia have lots more experience doing this sort of thing than I. Who would have expected three devices in this short time already?

Maybe they're wanting to bring some of that new-new-new phone release urgency to walkaround tablets. That would certainly be an edge they have over any computer manufacturer who ventures into this niche.

Roger

At first.. I'm thinking doesnt affect me eitherway since I bought 4 last time it was on sale for $200 (Canadian) with free shipping from Dell. But a lack of an affordable / cheap line limits the market appeal and thus developing efforts, etc.

Take Nintendo Wii verseus Sony PS3 during launch to present... forced Sony to slash prices really early on to compete.. mind you Sony's PS3 is a long term investment more for Bluray than gaming.. the Bluray thing is more important to them then the PS3 gaming..

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
That said, I would expect the N800 to be sold at least until the next iteration appears. Again, just an assumption (and personal hope), not official.
Me too, that's why I am a bit confused here. Since nobody found that mysterious RX-48 on FCC site yet, we may be far from release of next tablet. Also the hardware of N800 a N810 is very similar so keeping N800 living should be cheap for Nokia so why to kill it and limit choice (and sales)?

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Me too, that's why I am a bit confused here. Since nobody found that mysterious RX-48 on FCC site yet, we may be far from release of next tablet. Also the hardware of N800 a N810 is very similar so keeping N800 living should be cheap for Nokia so why to kill it and limit choice (and sales)?
It may not take long to see RX-48 on FCC...

As of the other part, building limited volume of *any* phone or IT is not suitable for Nokia style mass manufacturing. We all know that both N800, and even N810 volumes, are not that high yet. Keeping up two different product lines with two different stocks of components, etc., for "small quantity product" does not make economical sense. (Especially if the selling price of N800 is so much lower now.) I can see easily the drive to "kill" N800 to free manufacturing resources and boost up the N810 volume.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by futures View Post
But a lack of an affordable / cheap line limits the market appeal and thus developing efforts, etc.

Take Nintendo Wii verseus Sony PS3 during launch to present... forced Sony to slash prices really early on to compete.. mind you Sony's PS3 is a long term investment more for Bluray than gaming.. the Bluray thing is more important to them then the PS3 gaming..
Not an accurate analogy. The N810 is basically 100% hardware compatible with the N800 (the hardware keyboard being the most important difference), so if the N810 has support, so will the N800.

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Finland
You can compare this product to the Nokia Communicator product line. Every 2-3 years Nokia has announced a new version of Communicator and the old version has been buried with it.

1996 – Nokia 9000 (GEOS 16-bit OS)
1998 – Nokia 9110 (GEOS)
2000 – Nokia 9210 (Symbian OS 6.0)
2002 - Nokia 9210i
2004 – Nokia 9500 (Symbian OS 7.0)
2005-2006 - Nokia 9300/9300i (Symbian OS 7.0)
2007 – Nokia E90 (Symbian OS 9.2)

Got the point?

And it's not always about implementing some features JUST because the target audience wants it. Example Nokia implemented GPS also to the newest Communicator E90. Well Communicator 9500 didn't have it. Nor did 9300/9300i. All of them are for business use.

Why would Nokia manufacture 2 almost similar products simultaneously, when they know that you would be as happy with N810 that you are with N800. It costs money and they don't want to spend it.

Of course Nokia will have support for N800 for along time, but you won't see brand new N800 devices in the future. Because they are not two different products.

I don't know why you cry about this? If there will be a new ITT device after 2-3 years, I'm sure it will have lot of new features like wimax etc. You can use your N800 till' that day.

And generally I think that lifetime for all consumer IT products incl. mobile phones is about 2-3y anyway.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Not an accurate analogy. The N810 is basically 100% hardware compatible with the N800 (the hardware keyboard being the most important difference), so if the N810 has support, so will the N800.
The point is you can expand your market base by offering a horizontal line offering at varying price points / features.. the larger the market the larger the appeal for developers, etc.

Sticking with JUST the N810.. will limit you to someone willing / capable of spending within that price point.

Personally, at the currently over $400 price point of the N810.. I and other folks would start considering other options.. laptops.. phones, etc.

However, for $200 (N800 when on sale lately).. is much less than most notebooks and phones.. and offers a useful primary function of portable wifi web browsing..

As such.. my analogy with Wii and PS3.. though different vendors.. folks choosing value to serve the ultimate goal.. entertaining.. in that case..

The Following User Says Thank You to futures For This Useful Post: