Active Topics

Devicescape announced today support for the Nokia Internet Tablets (for both the 770 and the N800), offering effort-less WiFi connectivity to 100,000 international free and paid WiFi hotspots.In order for Devicescape to give you automatic Wi-Fi hotspot access, a small application must first be downloaded to your device or pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Then, whenever your device detects a public Wi-Fi hotspot (such as a T-Mobile HotSpot) your device will send a brief message to one of our web servers. The message identifies the device and the hotspot it's trying to access. Our server will answer back with instructions on how to login, and the username and password for that hotspot if needed. Your device will then use the information from the server to login to the hotspot. All this can happen in just a few seconds and is done completely behind the scenes, invisible to you.You can create an Devicescape account for free. You can download the Devicescape software for the 770 or the N800 here.
Read the full article.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
A nice step forward for the Wifi ecosystem!

Our server will answer back with instructions on how to login, and the username and password for that hotspot if needed.

i'm still confused about what this software promises.

does it store my (i.e. already-paid-for) passwords and user ID remotely? Or, does it provide me with passwords and IDs for (selected) fee-based networks? Both?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Unfortunately all this offers is a means to avoid entering a username and a password - you register your T-Mobile/BT Openzone/Cloud/whatever username/password with Devicescape and whenever you connect to one of those networks (which are just 3 from 300 according to Devicescape) the software automatically presents the appropriate credentials. That's nice, but not a great step forward for pervasive WiFi access - it's just a minor convenience but not really a substantial value add. You still need to have accounts with the network vendors (T-Mobile/BT/The Cloud etc.) and if there is a cost for access that's between you and the network vendor nothing to do with Devicescape.

The WiFi hotspot market is so fragmented that if I want to have access to WiFi everywhere in the UK (and by this I mean most large connurbations) the reality is that I need to have monthly contracts (or pay as I go) with at least 3 different network providers (T-Mobile, BT Openzone and The Cloud). Sod that for a laugh!

Where Devicescape could clean up is by offering a service where I sign up with Devicescape and gain access to ALL public WiFi networks EVERYWHERE. Each month I pay Devicescape for the networks and bandwidth I have used (plus a small amount to Devicescape for providing the service) and Devicescape handle appoprtioned payments to the individual networks.

Until someone offers such a single service (maybe someone does already? It seems incredibly obvious though a substantial challenge due to the vested network interests) for all the disparate WiFi networks I'll stick with my 3G cellular network - 3.6Mbit/s £10/month and it works worldwide (although when I'm roaming my cellular speed may be much reduced and the cost much higher, which is where a global roaming WiFi account would really pay off!)

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-10-10 at 14:58.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Well, I did say nice, not great.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Unfortunately all this offers is a means to avoid entering a username and a password
thx. it sounded too good to be true....

I've just found this forum post on the Devicescape site suggesting precisely what I have outlined above - the response from Devicescape is positive (as it should be - it's a blinding idea! ) but unfortunately the response is not indicative of any future direction. Perhaps they are keeping their cards close to their chest until deals are in place...

isn't this old news? i think thoughtfix covered that before.

This is nothing new, sorry to be a party pooper...but well spotted though

Originally Posted by disq View Post
isn't this old news? i think thoughtfix covered that before.
Yeah it's old news, but back then I thought it was a beta and assumed that this was now an official release announcement, however the Devicescape site still has beta plastered all over it...

Anyway, I think it's mostly a solution looking for a problem - if it brought seamless roaming across all hotspot networks then Devicescape would be onto something huge. Halfway there!