Posts: 23 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Manchester
Short version: Battery fully charged, won't boot. I see Nokia logo but no hands animation, then the dots animation ... that's as far as it gets. PR1.2, tried reflashing it, doesn't help.

In a severe state of panic at the moment, any suggestions would be welcome.

Long version:

Two possible causes, either could be a coincidence.

(1) I had turned it off in order to change the SIM card. It never came back on. It is unlocked -- that is, the guy I took it to said it already was, and we tried another SIM he had to prove it; it worked.

(2) About 20 minutes before that a guy in a shop had it to fit a screen protector. He only took it in the back room for a second (I know, I know) and I have to say that I don't remember my battery looking like someone had been digging holes in it with a screwdriver... It's a second hand unit, so I suppose I could have missed seeing that. And in any case the (new?) battery holds a charge.

Anyone wants any more information, just say.

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Lebanon- Beirut
something similar happening to me, check http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...927#post721927

Hi, yes, I've been reading that. But I can't boot even when plugged into USB. I have no idea what is wrong, and I don't know how to find out...!

I have the same problem.

Suddenly phone didnt boot.

Flashing pr2 into the n900 works fine, but when I try to flashing newest vanilla, phone tries to get into the "flashing mode" -> it stucks every time into the dots animation.

I cant live without my N900!

I think I dont have anything else choice than taking my N900 to Nokia Care.

Originally Posted by shadowfirebird View Post
Hi, yes, I've been reading that. But I can't boot even when plugged into USB. I have no idea what is wrong, and I don't know how to find out...!
did you try to flash mmc?

No, I've not tried that, but since I'm not backed up I'm leaving it as a last resort. Not sure why it would help -- isn't that just replacing MyDocs?

Here's a weird thing I've not mentioned. When the N900 is just sitting there in the dots animation, it's not hung or anything. The dots are moving, and I can shut it down by holding the power button.

And when I reflashed it, it responded completely by the book. It just doesn't boot. Something wrong with init? But if that were so, surely reflashing would have fixed it...

Originally Posted by ahmadamaj View Post
did you try to flash mmc?
Is there any change to flash without booting it to flash mode? Because everytime I'm trying to flash my phone, it stucks to the dots animation.

The Following User Says Thank You to ahmadamaj For This Useful Post:
Ooh! Diagnostics! Brilliant.

"No initfs \0/" not so brilliant. I hate it when I'm right.

Of course it still doesn't boot -- how could it without an init FS? I'm guessing the \O/ is the smily version of Munch's "The Scream"...

Should flashing to PR1.2 reset the init fs? This article suggests that it should, but...

Anyone got back from this before?