Poll: Who will ship first?
Poll Options
Who will ship first?

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
seriously, i'd call a clamshell design a tablet. wouldn't you?
If it was anything like a Psion Series 5(mx) - I'd call it "ideal" ;-)

You beat me to it - we hadn't resurrected the Psion this year yet, had we ?... :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
@TA-t3: got it, good point. Though a 4000 mAh battery seems quite beefy. I'll google for modems having drivers for linux

@Karel Jensens: it's good you're back... really, if it weren't for you and your signature, very few would have known of the Pandora, including myself. And I hope it's been for well ;^)

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Ok, so benny1967 has dropped out of the bet now that the Rover plans have apparently been leaked and they are for a device that is insufficiently tablet-like for him.

What? He was never involved in any bet? Oh. Well then. Carry on.

... and I thought nobody would notice.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Alert, the sleeper has awakened ! :-)

BTW Karel, this time you have no excuse for not coming to grumble at the next summit, if you still haven't escaped Belgium by October... :-)
I'm not really back, just operating at seriously reduced power levels.

Oh, and by October I'll finally be gone from here. Time to change my sig. I guess.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
There's a lot more crossed off the Pandora to-do list now...

Taking the Pandora estimates (mid-July) and adding the usual grain of salt, it looks like the Pandoras may start shipping in late August. Hm, maybe I'll order one for my birthday ;-)

Also a little less hassle for them:
We shouldn't have a problem with FCC either - as we only need FCC if we sell WITHIN the US. We don't do that yet, we sell from UK and Germany, so FCC is not necessary. It WILL have to be done once there's a US based reseller, but that's nothing to worry about for the first batch.

There is no mid-July estimate. The current optimistic estimate is mid-August. Add the necessary mountain of salt, and you will understand that it is unlikely to ship this year.

They are still working on the case.

When they finish, they will have two options: go directly to mass production, in which case they will ship in September, but they won't know if it will work or not until then. Or they might decide to make another model case, which pushes everything by a few months, making November as the earliest option, and sometime in 2010 (or later) as the likely option.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
While maemo tablets are turning in maemo phones, there's a guy planning to turn a Pandora in a Panda-phone, using some kind of external, usb or sdio gsm radio, plus some software.
Even if I haven't seen the thing either, it's amusing

http://openpandora.wordpress.com/200...ell-from-hell/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
While maemo tablets are turning in maemo phones, there's a guy planning to turn a Pandora in a Panda-phone, using some kind of external, usb or sdio gsm radio, plus some software.
Even if I haven't seen the thing either, it's amusing

http://openpandora.wordpress.com/200...ell-from-hell/
Instead of "clamshell cell" they should just call it a clamcell, 'cause Hell hath no fury like a cell's clam scorned. No hate mail, please.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Ha! Looks like they're going to use the wifi driver that Nokia open-sourced!

http://openpandora.wordpress.com/200...is-talks-wifi/

[T]he WL12xx driver [is] written by Kalle Valo of Nokia. This is a nice modern driver (MAC80211) and is already in Wireless-Testing (as of a few days ago) and on its way to mainline.

This driver was SPI only but a gent by the name of Bob Copeland added the start of SDIO support and we are working off that base to bring the driver up on the Pandora so we have a nice solid mainline driver to use that is actively developed, supports the Pandora out of the gate, and is easy to maintain.

As of now I have the WL2151 firmware loading on the Pandora with the new driver and lots of nice signs of life but the work is a little way away from passing traffic (the Linux SDIO stack is causing me pain)...

The only real snag is on the SDIO communication side of things (timing issues I think) but I have been getting some helpful advice on that front so the plan is to sink a few hours into that over the weekend. Started to push a few simple patches upstream for things like chip ID’s so with any luck by the time the driver hits mainline the Pandora should ‘just work’ if I can nail all the SDIO bits.

Once I get things settled (hopefully) I want to have a play with trying to get hostapd going as I have some funky uses for a mobile access point in mind

If anyone wants patches (or is familiar with the kernels SDIO stack) drop me a bell.
Should he be bugged to contribute patches back to the "upstream project" here at maemo.org?

EDIT: I was wrong, that driver isn't on maemo.org; it must be part of the main Linux kernel .... cool...

Last edited by qole; 2009-06-24 at 23:30.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

Tags
burtflitter, chinese food, christmas, christmas 2013, christmas 2666, credit card fraud, dnf, fata morgana, lies, omap3, pandora, pandora != real, pandora hoax, pandora is going to ship?, pandora v linear time war, retreating shipdate, ripoff, scam, speculation, virtualbox