Notices

There's an upcoming strategy game for the new N-Gage phone gaming platform (which can be installed on selected Symbian S60 3rd Edition handsets) called Reset Generation. It's a rather strange game, which mixes parodies of various computer and video games with online multiplayer turn-based gameplay. As part of my work on All About N-Gage / All About Symbian I've done a brief video slideshow with the theme tune of the game playing on top of it:

http://www.allaboutngage.com/news/it..._Movie_wel.php

And here's our in-depth article on the game by Ewan Spence:

http://www.allaboutngage.com/feature...Generation.php

ANYWAY, you're probably wondering what the heck this has to do with the Nokia tablets, as they run a totally different operating system.

Well, the unusual thing about Reset Generation is that as well as being sold as a commercial smartphone game, it will also be available completely free as an embeddable Flash game, playable through a PC browser. Anyone will be able to add it to their site or blog, and browser-based players will be in the same game world as phone-based players. Is it possible that it might be playable through the tablets' browser? The gameplay will be turn-based and the graphics simple 2D sprites, so presumably it shouldn't be too complex or fast-moving to be rendered on the tablets?

Last edited by krisse; 2008-05-12 at 17:55.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Looks interesting, although I am not fond of strategy/turn-based games.
Give us a message when the game is available.

Okay, some bad news and some good news.

Bad news first, Reset Generation won't work on the tablets because the web version is Java-based and requires some Windows stuff to be present too (though it doesn't require IE, Firefox works fine).

Good news, if you have Windows you can play the full game right now through your browser at http://www.resetgeneration.com/ The game can be embedded in sites and blogs, but visitors would need a Windows machine to play it.

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Tehran-Iran
what a pity

i like n-gage

i wanted new fifa 08

i am very sad now

krisse totally ur news is very bad

But Thinking About A 64 GB !!!!

Os 2008 Chinook,I Have't Trust To Diablo!??

Originally Posted by italodance View Post
what a pity

i like n-gage

i wanted new fifa 08
Well, FIFA08 was never going to be a free browser game. Reset Gen is by Nokia themselves, but FIFA08 is an EA title so EA decides what happens to that.

krisse totally ur news is very bad
It's not that bad, Nokia's giving away for free a game they spent three years working on. It's a darn good game actually, very nice. :-)

But yes, not for the tablets. Sorry about that, I thought it would be, but I was wrong.

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
all the more reason the Tablets need to support Java.

Originally Posted by rcadden View Post
all the more reason the Tablets need to support Java.
Emphasis added:
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Bad news first, Reset Generation won't work on the tablets because the web version is Java-based and requires some Windows stuff to be present too (though it doesn't require IE, Firefox works fine)
Assuming that to be correct, it's not really.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Emphasis added:
Assuming that to be correct, it's not really.
Well... I'm guessing the Windows stuff is to do with their method of porting the original N-Gage (Symbian OS) game to the PC.

If they'd written this from scratch for Java perhaps it might not require Windows?

But I don't know for sure, so it's idle speculation.

However, there are some very nice J2ME games out there nowadays (the Java version of Sola Rola is amazing) so I'd still be in favour of getting Java VM on the tablets somehow.