Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
Hello All,

I would like to share one of my favorite educational websites that works perfectly on the N900. So much so that if we have network problems at the school, I use my N900 to teach and let the kindergardeners use my N900 to access the site.

The site is: www.starfall.com

The site works so well on the N900 in Microb fullscreen that it seems to be made for touchscreens.

There are several sections on the Main Index such as ABCs, Learn to Read, It's Fun to Read and I'm Reading:

After clicking on one of the indexes, you will have access to a subsection of educational games, videos and audio. The site is flash based and professionally done. In all of the reading segments, there is "listening ear" so you can hear the words and
the main way of navigating the activies is through visual clues such as a pointing hand and more often, sparkling stars.

A class favorite is "Who Am I" and it is located in this menu order: It's Fun to Read>All About Me>Who Am I.

When you play Who Am I, you make yourself, choose your pet (dog, cat, dinosaur..), your home and you learn things about your surroundings.

It really is amazing how well this site works with Microb! I use it as a showpiece for the N900 browser as well. Be sure to turn up the volume as starfall.com is an audio and visual treat.

Do we have any other teachers in the Maemo Community?

If you know of any other educational web sites that work well with the N900, please share them in your comment. Please give www.starfall.com a try and let me know if you enjoy it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Deaconclgi; 2010-11-05 at 17:46.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deaconclgi For This Useful Post:
Another awesome website is http://www.khanacademy.org/ (even though it is for a different audience). The videos looks good on the n900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pengman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Pengman View Post
Another awesome website is http://www.khanacademy.org/ (even though it is for a different audience). The videos looks good on the n900.
Woa!!!! That site can teach you almost anything and everything!!! I teach technology education as a humanities teacher and I cover grades k-5. I am amazed at the vast majority of topics that khanacademy covers and also that there are relative topics to adulthood as well. And yes, the videos play fantastic on the N900!

Thank you!

Another site that I use often is www.brainpopjr.com

This site is an audio visual treat as well (a requirement to keep elementary students attention ). It has a LOT of games that are free and a few free videos. To access most of the videos, you have to have a subscription.

For the free games: The games are listed by categories such as science, health, reading and writing, technology, math and so on. The site is professionally done as well and is flash based. Games can be controlled with just the touch screen for "Grab it" type games where you click on the correct word. Some are controlled with the keyboard while others are controlled with the Microb "drag and drop" control. (swipe your finger from the left until the arrow shows then click the arrow so that a red line strikes through it, thus allowing you to manipulate the flash content via drag and drop.)

There are free videos in different sections as well and a Movie of the Week. The videos play at an AMAZING quality and can be set to be played in a larger window. Try the Movie of the Week on the main page.

Please try www.brainpopjr.com on your N900,play a few games and watch the Movie of the Week and let me know what you think.

And no, I don't have any ties to these websites and I don't get anything from them, I just love to use technology to learn and our N900s make it so easy and Microb is so powerful, even without Flash 10.1.
Attached Images

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by Pengman View Post
I am not sure if you already know this but Bill Gates (of Microsoft fame ) uses khanacademy.org too for his kids. He was very amazed by the site. I think he spoke about this in one of the recent TED events.