Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Sorry there...
It has been a mad time the last couple days or I would have written already.
My apologies Maemish...
I know better ...
that you don't harbour any I'll will...
For the most part I see and know half the questionable things you have said in the past...you didn't mean at all...
It is the Finnish to English translation handbook you are using...
Since I know for a fact ...
That my hovercraft is not full of eels ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QqeSqm9um68

It is a translation quandary ...in the nuances of what you are writing...basically speaking...
Just like your reference to "Yo n****r"
That ..is a bit much...
One could call it in high brow- ese .."cultural appropriation"
In North America ...non-black folks just do not cross that line in saying it...
Its as rude as say...Japanese business men saying "Faith and Begora!" and deciding to Riverdance in front of me..

Or saying to an alternative lifestyle choice individual that "I know a gay person!"

Its just ...not good man...
That is what gets folks beaten very badly..

Or for example...
juiceme's astute noticing of your casual of mention "native american"...
Here....we have beautiful wilderness...no roads...no streetlights...no electric poles and lines...no houses or buildings...or people...for hundreds ...even 1000's of miles around...
And I know...
Talk like that in front of some of my friends..
Hell just about any of them...
And the interest in you will be truly fascinating to watch...
Quite a few will want to give you a proper " native american"" experience..
And ask if you would like to go hunting...
You come here...talk like that...
Don't take the kind offer to go on a hunting trip...
You won't be coming back.

So yes...nuance is an issue...
Delicacy of topical approach ...is another...
And translation is the 3rd in a trifecta ...
That even makes me forget you mean no I'll intention....

But be careful...Maemish...
Some know...you mean no negative intention..
But eventually you may run into 1 or a bunch of folks ...
Who don't know...
And that may end very badly for you one day.
And I don't want to see that happen.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Well I disagree with you - seems to become a habit - and will argue I didn't say anything that should offend or make angry any individual, be of any race, colour or sexual orientation.

I bet if they would read my post they would get what I said - the figure of speech - and probably even laugh or give a meaningful nod "I'm with you there, man. Speaking throught, man. True dat, man". No racism here, no insults, no need for that.

So I do not have to worry I think. I have friends from different races and colours and cultures who know me and understand what I mean. The same yard we used to live lived a muslim kurdi family. Very religious wife. One summer evening I was walking outside of our yard. Warm evening with a clear sky. Suddenly the sky started to flash like with lightning, but without any sounds and the colour of the light was not as bright as with lightning. I looked a bit upper and saw that in the kurdi family's balcony there was a white robed figure, hands toward the weirdly flashing sky. SHE IS A WITCH AND SHE IS MAKING THE SKY TO FLASH!!!

That idea was a real thought in my mind for about three seconds before it was gone. I had just watched in two days all the Harry Potter movies and was still a bit in that world. Oh boy the kurdi woman laughed when I told her I had thought she was a witch who made those sheet lights. She said she had been so impressed of the abnormal lightning that she had been praising allah hands in the air on the balcony.

The party killer was though when I in their family meeting told in the middle of the conversation - concerning middle east and Israel - that my ancestor was a jew who came in Finland. Very akward silent moment around the table. Everybody stopped talking and looked at me. I wasn't anymore a friendly neighbour but a possible enemy. But it was only a party killer, not a friendship killer.

And I don't hunt - yet. Have never been hunting anything else than books, film cameras, N900s and old computers from flee markets. Have thought of trying to get the test done for hunting license. Father would have too guns I don't want to go to the governent if he dies. One is a black powder Immanuel Meffert drillinger from around 1920. Other a german military rifle. Have thought of selling them to get a shotgun if I will get the license. We have land and one hunting club uses our land so I could probably get to become a member easy - one qualification you need to have to get a license for a gun. But have not yet wanted so badly to shoot to kill any living creature so taking the test just hangs.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Must be a cultural language thing, but I can't really tell was your intention to - as a good friend - give me advice for not to make mistakes which may get me into trouble? Or did you disguise a mock to a threat and tried to get me be alert what I say so I would be scared of getting beaten or worse because of how I speak/write/talk/chat and that would end converstaion?

I kinda got the impression of a friend chatting with friend in the first part of your post, but in the last part the tone changed dramatically and I don't know what happened in the middle.

Maybe the mixed feelings with your response got me to defend - again - my point of view or what I said against your opinion.

No bad intentions. Would just not like to upset you again and again, and that is why I try to get a hold of this matter if that could be possible. It may be or not. I may just be the perfect trigger to your nerves and whatever I say it get's on your nerves. It is like that with some people. There are some with that kind of voice or way to speak with a real slow pace or words they are using that you just can't take it That would be hilarious! We trying to have a proper conversation, and the other triggers whatever the other one says and then the other starts to defend "I didn't mean..." and just triggers more. Endless wheel of life.

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
No my tone didn't change.

And you can defend your arguments all you desire in the belief you are right...
And I do believe your intent is not malign ..really.
Its part nuance, part presentation, part foot in mouth, part wilful ignorance, part oblivious ..to the potential emotional reaction of the company you are speaking with, and a great huge heaping dose of talking before thinking and not first thinking before talking...
and assessing the ramification and reaction of your words in front of others and their personal issues with your thoughtless effrontery.

That...
Maemish...
Is exactly the issue.

Hell... You don't see a problem with talking out loud in a Muslim gathering about your Jewish family member ?
Of course everyone went silent...
Of course everyone turned and looked at you
Of course it was a "party killer".

You are lucky that they obviously thought you were an oblivious fool or madman...
But fool's luck doesn't last forever.
Sooner or later...
Talking out loud before foreseeing your words may upset others is not going to end well for you..
Keep it up.
And sooner or later ..
the odds are against you...
tjat you end up saying the wrong thing,
at the wrong time,
in the wrong place,
to the wrong people...
And it won't end well...

There is no way any of the things I mentioned about different cultures and races in my last post in conjunction with what you said...
That many wouldn't find offensive.
None of them were directed at my culture or race ...
but even I found them to be too much... man.
I couldn't defend your stance if I was paid to...
Except on medical grounds..
Being an insanity plea and / or suicidal death wish complex...

You wish to think it only me with this "opinion"
Juiceme tried to get through to you on this already...
It isn't just me here trying..
It isn't taking a swing at you that I am doing..
you just don't get it obviously...

Keep right on standing up for what you believe is polite courteous discourse Maemish...
(throws hands up in the air, shakes head, walks away)

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2020-03-06 at 06:17.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
Soooo.... is it all good now? If not, you should probably start a dedicated thread on a suitable forum (not talk.maemo.org).
I'm not sure, but in case this statement triggered that wall of words:
it was meant as friendly advice, trying to help Maemish fix his router, not as criticism.

The Following User Says Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
There is an obvious gap here the way we feel and/or understand things. But it's ok. None of us ment to be the same as the other. This difference does not affect me honouring you of your work here for N8X0 devices. Or your help you have given to countless of people, either newcomers as me or just people passing by.

But - if this thread annoyes someone is it possible just to skip it, leave it alone, not waste time on it? I do not post on this thread too often, so it is not in anyones face all the time. It is not a daily annoyance, not even weekly, barely a monthly.

But it is still there, in existence, I admit.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Already shared here that I have tried to get Sims 4 working on linux. Bought it through online (cds + code) and then tried with ubuntu mate, ubuntu game edition, slax gameover edition etc. Nothing worked and never got to the point to actually installing the game. at last gave up and - installed Win10! Which I did not wan't to do. Now got it installing the game - just to get an information "The code you entered is already in use". Aargh!!! Now have to start a battle with the seller of this matter. Just hoping it would go easily but fraid not. Used like easily 20-30 hours with this matter. Stupid game. Stupid wife who accepted to gave the game to my daughter. Stupid daughter who wants to play that stupid game. Stupid... well me, accepting to all this stupidity.

And again my router won't show logs at all, just empty page there, so I probably have to reset my router again to be able to see - or maybe it is the firefox browser which doesn't show it! Yes, I believe so. Gonna try tomorrow.

Was today metaldetecting with my friend. He found a muffy iron plate about 2cm x 4cm size. He went back home and washed it. This cropped image is the part of that pressplate where there were still letters seen. I flipped the image so this is the mirror image where you can read the text you can press with it. I figured out what is the text in full. Press the image and open in new window to see it better.
Attached Images

Last edited by Maemish; 2020-03-15 at 19:24.

If anyone figures out what that text could be for real please share. We are puzzled cause it is like very old rusty piece of metal on a field in Finland. Maybe a press plate for a poster or flyer or something, but why, what for, what has it said?

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
First search result:
Lil Dicky - Professional Rapper (Feat. Snoop Dogg)
???
Maybe unrelated, but not bad

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post: