Active Topics

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Hi guys + gals (are there any females in this forum?),

First off, I'm very well aware that the N810 was not designed as a phone.

One of my many uses for the unit, however would be voice communication. In other words, it will become a mobile handset for my in-home VoIP, and semi-mobile phone when I'm on the road (cafe's, offices, friends, hotels, etc).

After noticing the mic placement in the middle of the left side of the device, I'm wondering if the device can be held to the side of head like a regular phone (with proper volume adjustments), for very quick, private, and headset-less conversations. I noticed that thoughtfix was able to do this with his N770 successfully.

Can anybody confirm (or refute) the potential of the N810 as mobile hold-to-ear VoIP handset?

For those that are curious, here's some information regarding SIP based VoIP (Voice over IP, or internet telephony).

The reason I choose SIP (Gizmo Project, etc) is price and convenience. In Canada, a company called Acanac offers Unlimited SIP-to-phone calling in North America for $10/mnt, including a regular telephone number (so that regular phones can call you). I believe it's $9/mnt for people in the states. Additional numbers can be bought for as little as $5/mnt with unlimited incoming via various companies (didww), and even north american toll free numbers can be purchased for $1.49/mnt + $0.04/minute (link2voip.com); ideal for small businesses trying to keep costs low and flexibility high.

Although I've never used Acanac personally, I've used Gizmo, didww, and link2voip and can confirm that the quality is amazing. It easily rivals regular telephone (in some case exceeds it), as long as you don't have too much network traffic . I've tested voice latency between conversations with my conservative connection and found it to be very low (~0.2 seconds); not at all noticeable when talking.

Another benefit is that SIP-to-SIP calls are free anywhere in the world. SIP is an open protocol and the voice compression codecs are standardized. There are more than 2000 worldwide SIP based VoIP providers and a growing number SIP users. So the price for SIP based VoIP is only going to fall.

Lastly, you can currently receive calls from regular landlines to your Gizmo (or other) client without paying a cent. Simply
1) find a local access number,
2) dial it
3) dial your sip number at the prompt (ex. 1-747-123-4567).
Presto, free phone-to-SIP.

If you have questions, feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to answer!

}:^)~
YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Park City, Utah, USA
I can't comment on the N810 specifically, but I use my N800 as an extension on my Asterisk/trixbox PBX and it works great. (Can someone confirm whether the N810 comes with the SIP software, or does it have to be installed later?)

When you hold it up to your ear it looks like any big cell phone. Normally I just leave it propped up on my desk and people tell me that it sounds like any speaker phone. At my local coffee shop I keep the volume and my voice turned down. The earbuds would be a good idea, but I never carry them around.

By the way, for anyone that is the least bit interested in having your very own PBX, get the free version of trixbox Pro and install it on any old spare computer. I have several VoIP phone numbers from a company called VoicePulse. My whole extended family has "extensions" on my system using the free X-Lite soft phone or the N800.

Originally Posted by hybrid View Post
Can someone confirm whether the N810 comes with the SIP software, or does it have to be installed later?
Confirmed!

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Hi guys + gals (are there any females in this forum?), ...
Yes

... After noticing the mic placement in the middle of the left side of the device, I'm wondering if the device can be held to the side of head like a regular phone (with proper volume adjustments), for very quick, private, and headset-less conversations. I noticed that thoughtfix was able to do this with his N770 successfully.

Can anybody confirm (or refute) the potential of the N810 as mobile hold-to-ear VoIP handset?...
I just called the number to my house with gizmo and my dad picked up back in the office room. He said I sounded fine, as if I were on a cell phone. I had to raise the volume a tad on the device to hear my dad. But it could be that I'm just slightly deaf or my hand was covering a speaker.

Usually when I use gizmo or skype, I talk as if I were still touch typing. But as requested I put the device up to my ear in the orientation you described for this test

Hope it was helpfull.

Last edited by Karwee; 2007-11-25 at 21:27.

Originally Posted by Karwee View Post
Yes
Nice!

Originally Posted by Karwee View Post
I just called the number to my house with gizmo and my dad picked up back in the office room. He said I sounded fine, as if I were on a cell phone. I had to raise the volume a tad on the device to hear my dad. But it could be that I'm just slightly deaf or my hand was covering a speaker.

Usually when I use gizmo or skype, I talk as if I were still touch typing. But as requested I put the device up to my ear in the orientation you described for this test

Hope it was helpfull.
That's great news! A few simple questions, if I may:

1) Did your cheek inadvertently press any of the on-screen buttons? Can you see this being an issue?
2) Would you speculatively rate the conversation as mostly private (inaudible to people within earshot of your voice)?
3) Was it easy to use it as a mobile handset (little fiddling with settings)?
4) Could you see yourself doing this again in the future?
5) Does the size make it awkward to use as a handset? Would one look like a tremendous dork?

Thanks, Karwee, you've been a fantastic help. I've been eyeballing the N800 due to the more accessible price, but have been reluctant due to the lack of a keypad and mic placement (a BIG deal for me). Now that I know the N810 can be used quite easily (and effectively) as a VoIP handset, the N810 wins. The odd location of the mic in an N800, and its slightly-too-large-size (including the camera bulge) makes it less suited for this type of talking (something I can see myself doing often). I'd much rather hold the device to the ear for short, private conversations. Longer conversations, I can comfortably use the speaker. Long private conversations can be used with a corded headset.

Can others in this forum see themselves using the N810 as a VoIP handset?

How many people use their Nxxx's for VoIP routinely?

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

Originally Posted by dblank View Post
Confirmed!
I'm assuming that this is Gizmo? Is it the latest version 4.0?

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

...1) Did your cheek inadvertently press any of the on-screen buttons? Can you see this being an issue?
2) Would you speculatively rate the conversation as mostly private (inaudible to people within earshot of your voice)?
3) Was it easy to use it as a mobile handset (little fiddling with settings)?
4) Could you see yourself doing this again in the future?
5) Does the size make it awkward to use as a handset? Would one look like a tremendous dork?
How many people use their Nxxx's for VoIP routinely?
1. Well when you want to use it the way you describe, the whole gizmo interace will be sideways. All of the buttons will be on the end where your ear/cheek would be. I didn't hit any buttons but I can see how it would be easy to hit one of them on accident. Especialy with big ears or high cheek bones or long earings.

2. It is definatly not as private as a cell phone conversation. I see people in checkout lines and I'm relativly close to them and can't hear the other person they are talking to. But with the Nokia, it's got 2 speakers I think ? or maybe just 1...but either way it is very omnidirectional so sound kinda emits out all arround. Any one standing close to you(3-6ft) would hear whoever is talking to you; depending on a persons hearing. You can probably adjust the volume but then it might be to low if you wonder into a noisey environment.

3. I didn't have to fiddle with many settings at all. I had to make sure the webcam didn't turn on with the conversation, or else the other person would see a blurred out image of the side of my face.

4. Probably not, only because it defeats the purpose of having the web cam. The mic picks up sound very well using it as a tablet or as a cellphone.

I personaly don't use VoIP very much on the go. But if I were to start using it a lot, I would probably invest in a nice BT headset.

5. Ive seen people put clunky thick phones or PDAs up to their ear before and I don't really consider them dorky. This would look dorky tho:http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/cellphone/7830/

Name:  DSC01365.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  19.5 KB

Karwee, You've answered all of my questions and more. Thank you so very much.

I keep forgetting how small the N810 is! The pictures make it seem much larger than it actually is, but that picture you took puts it into perspective. Certainly it would look quite acceptable as a handset. The Eee PC? Not so much...

I love the fact that it's even possible to use it as a VoIP handset. I don't like the idea of walking around with a BT headset in my ear on the off-chance that I might receive a call. Fumbling with a corded headset to have a private conversation on the go, is also not very appealing. I'd much rather just jam the IT to my ear and talk, even if it's only semi-private.

Were I driving, or receiving a high volume of calls, a headset (BT or corded) would be ideal. Otherwise, speaker or handset emulation is alright with me!

Oh, and I would so use that old-style phone that you linked to. I know people that used to open walnuts and spank their children with those phones; a true convergence device...

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

...Oh, and I would so use that old-style phone that you linked to. I know people that used to open walnuts and spank their children with those phones; a true convergence device...
Haha

Your welcome

Works quite well with the "internet call" feature too. I use a service called iconnecthere.com that offers local numbers and SIP. Works great - no matter how you hold it. BT headsets work well too.